Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

help...need suggestions that are Scottish but not too Scottish

(37 Posts)
Hatethinkingofusernames82 Mon 28-Dec-15 18:44:20

Hi

Haven't posted on here since I had dc1 and asked for help finding a name. We went with Rory Michael and love his name so much that we are really struggling this time round.

Names we do like are...

Freya, Eilidh, Abbie (but dh isn't keen on Abigail)

Finlay (but not sure about which spelling), Fraser

Potential middle names would be Louise or James but they aren't set in stone.

What do you all think? Any other suggestions?

Ps we aren't Scottish but live in Scotland hence going for Scottish but not too Scottish!

Thanks in advance! smile

WingMirrorSpider Mon 28-Dec-15 18:50:37

I love Fraser. James is a Scottish name too if you wanted to use it as a first name. Also Alexander is a great Scottish sounding name.

For girls, how about Catriona or Lorna?

Irishkez Mon 28-Dec-15 19:07:25

Iona, Isla, Cameron, Harris, Callum, Logan, Lewis, mirren, Skye.

Pobspits Mon 28-Dec-15 19:12:35

Boys - Lachlan, Gregor, Euan, Struan, Innes, Duncan, Fraser

Girls - Heather, Mirren, Fiona, Kirsty, Isla, Ailish

Hatethinkingofusernames82 Mon 28-Dec-15 20:22:50

Thanks for those suggestions.
Dh loves Duncan but I'm struggling to imagine it for a baby.

If we were to go for Finlay how way would people spell it? I've seen Finlay/Finley/Findlay. And then would you go Fin or Finn for a nickname?

Thanks

Hatethinkingofusernames82 Mon 28-Dec-15 20:24:47

Also meant to say that lots of those names have been used up by good friends which is why we can't use them. And Dh and I both work with young people and so have a lot of memories of certain young people with those names! Not always good memories confused

Serafinaaa Mon 28-Dec-15 20:32:15

I'd say that Finlay is the more Scottish spelling.

Sophronia Mon 28-Dec-15 20:49:37

Finlay is ranked #12 in the Scottish name charts whereas Finley doesn't rank in the top 100, so I'd spell it Finlay.

CherryPits Mon 28-Dec-15 20:57:08

I also love Fraser.

You shouldn't be put off because your friends have used names. Use what you like.

My favorite name for a girl was Elizabeth and just before she was born I found out a good, local friend had named her DD that, so I changed it.

Then we moved. 3000 miles away. So I could have done it!

Piffpaffpoff Mon 28-Dec-15 21:10:23

Lorna, Morag or Heather were on our shortlist for girls.

For boys, Murray, Callum or ewan.

ceeveebee Mon 28-Dec-15 21:13:28

We have a Roddy (Roderick) although might be too similar to Rory

pollylovespie Mon 28-Dec-15 21:14:22

Andrew! And I love Catriona, shortened to Cat. Mairead is pretty too. And it is of course impossible for anything to be too Scottish.

Knitella Mon 28-Dec-15 21:38:50

Another vote for Andrew or how about Alasdair/Alastair? Solid names but not so Scottish that people in rUK or abroad don't know how to say or spell them. I think they go well with Rory too!

Branleuse Mon 28-Dec-15 21:42:45

Sadie, Hamish

WhereYouLeftIt Mon 28-Dec-15 21:49:54

Andrew, Creag, Findlay, Douglas, Angus, Alexander, Robert, Jamie, Donald.

Fiona, Shona, Lorna, Morven, Karen, Morag, Kirsty, Jean, Janet, Isobel.

janethegirl2 Mon 28-Dec-15 21:50:35

Kirsty, Morag, Catriona for a girl
Euan, Hamish, Andrew for a boy
Or try www.scottishgirlsnames.co.uk
Or www.scottishboysnames.co.uk for more ideas

myotherusernameisbetter Mon 28-Dec-15 22:15:01

I like Finlay (Findlay) and Fraser and both go nicely with James.

I like a lot of the other suggestions. Keir would also be good and nicely with Rory.

I don't think you necessarily need a Scottish name though although I do love them smile

I'm not so keen on your girls names but that's just personal taste. My personal favourite at the moment is Lorna but I think that's maybe a bit too Scottish for you and also a bit of a mouthful with Rory. My 2nd favourite would be Mairi which would work well.

Other suggestions: Ailsa, Cara, Kristy.

Helentheheron Mon 28-Dec-15 22:16:29

Robert or Keir

Mairi, Lorna or Laura

Sophronia Mon 28-Dec-15 22:45:31

Lewis, Craig, Logan, Harris, Cameron, Ivor, Brodie, Arran, Callan, Blair, Hector, Hamish, Archie, Bruce, Fergus, Gregor, Kester, Lachlan, Murray, Niven, Aidan

Elspeth, Iona, Maisie, Mirren, Isobel, Fiona, Ailsa, Lilias, Sorcha, Isla, Ishbel, Flora, Vaila

CormoranStrike Mon 28-Dec-15 23:01:40

Mirrin for a girl.

Fergus, Calum, Finlay, Euan or James (Jamie)

janethegirl2 Mon 28-Dec-15 23:04:08

Not Mirrin, as I always think of mirin which is a sweet Japanese rice wine.

Hatethinkingofusernames82 Tue 29-Dec-15 09:39:24

Thanks everyone. Some great suggestions and I really like lots of them but nothing's sounding quite right yet! It's so hard isn't it...

Anyway still have a good bit of time so I'm sure I'll be back asking about other names! smile

CormoranStrike Tue 29-Dec-15 10:20:25

Logan, Lorne, Harris, Donald or Campbell?

Elvish Tue 29-Dec-15 10:35:32

I have a baby Duncan (well, he's nearly 3 so not really a baby!). We're in England so it's unusual, but everyone knows how to say and spell it. People my mother thought it was an odd choice but have got used to it smile

dotdotdotmustdash Tue 29-Dec-15 13:10:34

Ross, Coll, Harris, Lewis (millions of them!) or Euan.

Fiona, Flora, Eilidh, Mhairi (Vhairi) or Lorna.

We were planning to call our Ds after a Scottish mountain since my husband was a keen munro-bagger. We couldn't decide which one so we called him Ben which covered most of them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now