Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Nn for Susannah Sukie or Zanna?

(25 Posts)
Lizziedripping1 Sun 27-Dec-15 18:52:38

Which nn for Susannah do people prefer, Sukie or Zanna. I quite like both but not keen on Susie and definitely not Sue.

MarieJeanne Sun 27-Dec-15 18:53:44

I prefer Sukie

MarieJeanne Sun 27-Dec-15 18:54:01

Or Zaza

MaddieLouLou Sun 27-Dec-15 19:14:58

Sukie

SparklyPenguin Sun 27-Dec-15 19:18:35

Neither. Susannah's a nice name as it is, Zanna sounds babyish and Sukie's a bit off. If you don't like Susie then perhaps Suze, or Anna?

MaddieLouLou Sun 27-Dec-15 19:21:52

I like Anna or Annie smile

Sophronia Sun 27-Dec-15 20:07:41

Annie is nice. Not keen on Sukie or Zanna.

MyNameIsSuz Sun 27-Dec-15 20:43:48

This is my name, and people have never shortened it to either of those. The only thing people ever shorten it to is Suz, my mum has gone with Susie since I was little but it's never caught on with anyone else (and not the kind of thing you would introduce yourself as, if you see what I mean). I think what I'm trying to say is, it could be a bit of a struggle to get either of those to be used especially once she's older, so make sure you're happy with any of the more common short forms and the longer form too.

cecilelliott Sun 27-Dec-15 20:45:17

I think Zanna is the nicest shortening as it retains the lovely -anna sound. I know of one who's 7 and it suits her very well!

Ipushedmygrannyaffabus Sun 27-Dec-15 20:45:21

Susannah is beautiful as it is.

BackInTheRealWorld Sun 27-Dec-15 20:45:47

Neither, both sickly.

janethegirl2 Sun 27-Dec-15 20:47:09

Suse is good or Suz!

IcecreamBus Sun 27-Dec-15 20:52:07

I have a friend who uses Zanny. It suits her perfectly!

Lizziedripping1 Sun 27-Dec-15 20:54:43

Thanks for your comments everyone. We are having second thoughts now really as both of us hate, Suze and Sue and DH wouldn't want it shortened to that though we like Zanna

Our original choice was Xanthe but family keep saying no one will know how to pronounce it....rock and a hard place I think smile

VocationalGoat Sun 27-Dec-15 20:55:46

Annie/Anna makes NO sense and is a totally different name.

Suzie, Zaza, Zip, Zanah/Zanna are all nicknames I've heard friends use over the years.

ShmooBooMoo Sun 27-Dec-15 21:00:34

Susannah! What's the point of choosing a nice name to shorten it to a non-name Honestly, Sukie sounds like a cats' name and Zanna just sounds ridiculous and pointless (to my ears, anyway!) If anything, I'd shorten to Anna, but I prefer Susannah and would encourage others to call her that: after all, it's her name!
IcecreamBus: not to be rude but remember Casey Anthony who was accused of murdering her daughter? She said her daughter's (as it turned out, imaginary nanny) was called Zanny (short for Zenaida), though many thought it was short for Xanax (a med she may have used to subdue her daugher). So, Zanny makes me think of that and I can't shake it off.

Writerwannabe83 Sun 27-Dec-15 21:39:37

I have never understood why people think they can control nicknames?

Also, why would you want to give your daughter a beautiful name and then call her something else entirely?

If you like Susannah then call her that. Why does she need a nickname when she is a baby?

I thought nicknames established themselves when the children were old enough to give themselves a nickname if they so wished? I.e shortening their name to something they like?

timelytess Sun 27-Dec-15 21:46:30

Susannah. The adaptations are horrible.

nooka Sun 27-Dec-15 21:51:06

Susannah is a lovely name in it's own right, and it's nice to pick a name with lots of options for your dd. Essentially she will decide what nn she likes and that's what will most likely stick. However if you always use the long form she may well pick that as the name she likes the best.

I don't think that Suze or Sue are inevitable, I suspect that Suzie/Susie is probably much more difficult to avoid though, so if you really don't like that you might want to pick something else. I'd go for the Suzanna spelling if you want to mostly use Zanna, I think it follows more naturally.

I have a long name quite similar to Susannah (much more unusual though, never met another 'me') and it has one short form that was super common in the 70s (used for another very similar name) which I've never used because my mum hated it. Only my close family use a short form based on the end of my name, I only use the full version now.

SugarDiabetes Sun 27-Dec-15 22:01:12

I have a Suzannah, known as Suzie, Zanna, Suz, and Zannacake!

BackInTheRealWorld Sun 27-Dec-15 22:03:14

Call her the name you want to call her. Nicknames will happen anyway whether you like it or not. Shit even if it isn't an abbreviation of the name you give her. This shit happens and you can't control it. So stop worrying and just call her the name you would like to use for the rest of her life. The end.

EleanorofProvence Sun 27-Dec-15 22:39:15

Zanna is a perfectly nice name in itself (it is the Polish version of Jane I believe) & makes a great nickname for Susannah.

The actress Suzanna Hamilton is known as Zanna & Heston Blumenthal's ex wife is also called Zanna. Its not totally unheard of!!

It's a cool but unusual name - you could dispense with Susannah altogether if you prefer and give your DD the name Zanna.

EleanorofProvence Sun 27-Dec-15 22:41:25

It won't get shortened to Sue, Suze or Suzie unless you or she encourages it either, so don't worry about that smile

ashesandfire Sun 27-Dec-15 23:23:18

Susannah is beautiful! I like Zanna as a nn. Sukie sounds a bit wet/drippy to me!
I think Susie is much more likely as a nn than Sue or Suze though.
Xanthe also.gorgeous and I think most people would know how to pn? Or remember after they'd heard it once anyway

xmasseason Sun 27-Dec-15 23:35:01

Go for Xanthe, it's a lovely name.

Sukie is twee, Zanna is OK and I like Susie.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now