Talk

Advanced search

All the names we like are really popular...

(47 Posts)
loveulotslikejellytots Sat 26-Dec-15 14:58:31

Is this a problem? Some are top ten, others a little further down the list. Does it bother you or your dc if their name is popular? We have a dd due in one week and this is our short list, can any of you think of any other names we might like? Surname is Turner so nothing starting with T!

Florence (but not keen on the nickname Flo, so may not use this as you can't help what nicknames end up being).
Freya
Evie
Lottie
Lily
DH really likes Lexi/Alexis or something along those lines.

Help!!!

helensburgh Sat 26-Dec-15 15:01:56

It's not an issue.

We picked the most popular girls name because we really like it.
She's now 8. It's still in top 3 and although there's maybe another 4 in her school there's none on her class and it's not an issue

ivykaty44 Sat 26-Dec-15 15:14:38

Why does it matter?

fruitpastille Sat 26-Dec-15 15:18:59

Ds' name is top 5. There's a couple more in his school. DD's was much less common and her best friend has same name. Still not an issue.

megletthesecond Sat 26-Dec-15 15:19:02

I'd avoid. I was one of 4 'meglets' in my class and it was a pain. There are thousands of other names to choose from.

90sforever Sat 26-Dec-15 15:21:09

Even top 10 means like 3000 babies this year. In a population of our size that's nothing

Helmetbymidnight Sat 26-Dec-15 15:23:54

I know two of those names - Turner- but I don't know many Freya's or alexas...

hollieberrie Sat 26-Dec-15 15:39:14

I teach primary and I don't know any Lotties and only one Freya and one Lexi. But yes there are absolutely loads of Evies, Lillys and Florences.

icklekid Sat 26-Dec-15 15:47:00

I went for a much less common name (top 100) and having taught in a large school and only ever had 1 thought would be safe. ..it seems to have had a resurgence the year I chose it and top 20 with lots of people using it. Similar happened to a friend a few years ago...choose a name you love so that you don't mind just in case!

Winterqueen Sat 26-Dec-15 16:10:20

They are popular because they are nice names that people like. It's fine also children like to be able to get things with their name on. I have 1 child with a top 5 name and 2 children with rare names one top100 (just) and one 200ish. All chosen because we loved them. Popularity really is not important! Go for a name you love x

Winifredgoose Sat 26-Dec-15 16:13:52

Alexis is nicest i think, and prob least popular.

HackerFucker22 Sat 26-Dec-15 16:15:06

DC1 has a popular (top 10) name and I don't actually know another kid with that name. He is the only one in his nursery as well.

YeOldeTrout Sat 26-Dec-15 17:03:13

Why no T? Tina Turner does quite well, I reckon.

DH & I have very popular names in our generation.
2 DC have extremely popular names. Not a problem.

Plateofcrumbs Sat 26-Dec-15 17:09:24

I'm fine with popular names but I would personally avoid names which are 'fashionable' (so anything that has very quickly risen up the popularity rankings) as it might not date well.

loveulotslikejellytots Sat 26-Dec-15 17:13:13

That's what the bump has been nicknamed Trout!

I don't think the popularity mattered to be honest, my name is very common. DH wondered if it actually bothered anyone else that's all. He has an unusual name (spelt oddly) so has spent his whole life spelling his name to people, hence the 'popular' suggestions from him! He doesn't want to inflict that on DD grin

tuilamum Sat 26-Dec-15 17:13:45

DD is an Alexis and I've always been complimented on her name, I like it because its not unheard of but not super common

Dinosaursdontgrowontrees Sat 26-Dec-15 17:15:26

My dd is Evelyn but we call her Evie. She is 3 and the only one at her nursery. We have ever only met one other Evie in the past 3 years of baby groups and park trips. I wouldn't worry, just choose a name you love.

enderwoman Sat 26-Dec-15 17:37:38

Bounty (I think) used to have a name search engine where you could find the most popular name by postcode. My boys had top 5 names. My oldest is a Jack which was the number one name for like 10 years plus and was never with another Jack in primary (so 60 kids per year, 30 per class) and in secondary is only with one other Jack. Chloe was the number one girls name for his year but in primary he had 5 Ellies in his class of 15 girls and no Chloe.

Lizziedripping1 Sat 26-Dec-15 17:42:49

I know an Alexa. Never heard of another

mrsschu Sat 26-Dec-15 18:07:18

DD has a top ten name and so far we have met very few other people with the same name. There is one other child in her nursery with a similar but not the same name. DD is delighted when she does meet someone with the same name! So no, it doesn't bother me or DH. DS has an uncommon but not necessarily unusual name (I think it was somewhere around 600 in the name rankings). Both names suit both children, the fact that one is popular and one isn't doesn't bother me or DH. I have a name that was very popular in the early 80's, there were 3 of us in my year of 100 girls at school and I can honestly say it never, ever bothered me.

BertrandRussell Sat 26-Dec-15 18:10:49

I have never met a child who minded having a name that shock horror someone else might have.

I have met lots of very precious parents who do, though.

clary Sat 26-Dec-15 18:14:29

Is Florence actually that popular? It's my niece's name and would have been DS2's name (he's 12 now). Names we like are typically not that popular and apart from my niece (who lives in Oz) I don't know any small Florences. I teach, but secondary, so my info is out of date... don't know many pre-schoolers so happy to be contradicted.

I know a few Freyas and quite a lot of Lilys but it's not a major problem. Those are all pretty names OP and personally I would pick the one I like best.

You can't know who they'll meet anyway. I never met anyone called Marshall and then had two in one class last year.

LaurieLemons Sat 26-Dec-15 18:25:47

Well that's why they are so popular, because a lot of people like them! It's not a problem, any name can suddenly rise in popularity so there's no point trying to pick an unusual name just for the sake of it!

CastaDiva Sat 26-Dec-15 21:34:12

It bothered me enormously throughout my primary school days - there were four other girls of the same name in my class all the way through, and you quickly stopped answering to your name when someone called it, and felt more than a bit generic. (My parents chose it precisely for its extreme ordinariness grin.) I won't exaggerate, but it was genuinely a mildly depressing aspect of my schooldays, in that my name referred to an entire category of girls and never felt like much to do with me. My sense is that the pool of names was far smaller in 1970s Ireland, though, because my name was everywhere, and to this day, Irish novelists often give it to generic minor characters of around my age as code for 'ordinary'!

I gave my child a name so uncommon it didn't feature in the stats for his birth year.

megletthesecond Sat 26-Dec-15 21:42:18

yy casta. Forever being known as Meglet A or Meglet Z. Never just 'Meglet'.

My dc's have far less common names. I'd freak if I saw their names on something in a gift shop fgrin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now