Talk

Advanced search

Lachlann or Ruben

(22 Posts)
edengarden123 Thu 24-Dec-15 22:54:38

Bearing in mind im in Ireland where Ruben isnt at all popular....

I like Lachlann but it sounds very mannish and not boyish. Where as Ruben has a cuter sound.

timelytess Fri 25-Dec-15 00:54:40

Haven't we had this one already?

Katarzyna79 Fri 25-Dec-15 00:57:00

I love both but id go for Ruben.

Maryz Fri 25-Dec-15 01:10:40

Isn't it Reuben?

Louise43210 Fri 25-Dec-15 01:18:33

Rueben's lovely. Love Lachlann too. I agree with what you say. Do you pronounce the o in Lachlann as an a or o?

Out2pasture Fri 25-Dec-15 01:23:40

Ruben is lovely but Jewish/Hebrew Is that part of your culture? It's just very different than Lachlann....which is lovely as well but very Irish.

Pandora97 Fri 25-Dec-15 10:35:27

Out2pasture Lachlan is actually Scottish, although very popular in Australia and New Zealand for some reason.

I think I prefer Reuben but I like Lachlan too. Depends if you don't mind explaining Reuben to people or people possibly thinking you're Jewish, which they might assume if Reuben isn't very used in Ireland.

edengarden123 Fri 25-Dec-15 16:06:28

Thanks im a newbie so have no idea if it was discussed before.

There is no jewish community where i live and only about 20 or so rubens/reuben etc. registered in ireland last year. As a non religious person i would be very uncomfortable with the religious association. So thanks for that feedback

xmasseason Fri 25-Dec-15 22:42:44

I like Reuben. Yes it's a Biblical name, but so are many popular names used by both religious and non-religious people.

CherryPits Sat 26-Dec-15 15:16:29

Reuben is a Jewish name xmasseason.

Helmetbymidnight Sat 26-Dec-15 15:22:27

It's not a 'Jewish name'- it's a biblical name popular among Jews and many others inc Spanish, Christians etc etc.

CherryPits Sat 26-Dec-15 15:25:27

It is a Jewish name Helmetbymidnight. I am a Jew and I'm telling you so.

Helmetbymidnight Sat 26-Dec-15 15:28:47

It's a biblical name like Samuel, zach, David- yes popular among Jews but also v popular among non Jews.

TheBakeryQueen Sat 26-Dec-15 15:29:58

Reuben is an Old Testament name, like Joseph, Benjamin, Jacob etc etc.
Absolutely love biblical names. They are traditional aren't they?

Plenty of non-Jewish Reubens.

RiverTam Sat 26-Dec-15 15:35:04

I would spell them either Lachlan and Reuben. I prefer Lachlan. And yes, Reyben is not a Jewish name, any more than David or Samuel are. They're biblical names.

RiverTam Sat 26-Dec-15 15:35:22

Reuben!

Luckystar1 Sat 26-Dec-15 15:35:26

The only Reubens I know (including the Irish one) are not Jewish. I have a 'Jewish' name - I'm Catholic. My husband has the name of the King of the Jews - not Jewish.

Op go with whichever you like. I prefer Lachlan (pronounced with an 'o') but both are nice!

TheSeptemberIssue Sat 26-Dec-15 17:50:24

My friend has a Lachlan, abb to Lachie (pronounced Locky) which I think gives it a cute option for a youngster but a more adult option when he's older

Lizziedripping1 Sat 26-Dec-15 22:37:59

I like Lachlan it was on our list and sounds classy and distinguished I think. I have known two Reubens, I went to school with one and the other was a 19th century relative. Neither were Jewish but I think these days name more associated with Subway sandwiches. For some reason it's a name I've always disliked as I think it sounds slightly wrong but I don't know why.

May2016baby Sun 27-Dec-15 09:28:43

Wow I could have written this post myself! I'm from Scotland and pregnant with our second child (already have one boy) and the two boys names we had picked out were Reuben and Lachlan. My husband loved Reuben but I made the mistake of telling all my family we were considering Reuben. Every single person I told had the reply 'oh but it's so jewish' ! My family are from Cheshire where there is a big Jewish community and there are a lot of Jewish Reuben's down there. Obviously I have nothing against a Jewish name but as I am not religious at all it just has really put me off the name! Even my husband has now been put off it because of the amount of Jewish comments we have received. Then we realised a lot of my (English) family could just not pronounce Lachlan properly! Luckily we have just found out we are having a girl : )

Rachel234561 Sun 27-Dec-15 11:13:42

Reuben 💙 not keen on lachlan

edengarden123 Sun 27-Dec-15 11:28:19

Thanks on the comments. May thats funny that both were on your short list too. I dont think anyone here will make the jewish connection as i said there is no jewish community in any of the surrounding counties i live in.

I love Lachie as a nn. Well until i find out the sex both will remain on my shortlist

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now