Talk

Advanced search

Ever had a name ruined for you

(17 Posts)
Rose1Thornton Tue 22-Dec-15 22:22:41

Have you ever had a name that you really liked and then a person/celeb/film/media happened and it completely put you off?

Names for me that I use to like but are now in the never zone:

Brooklyn: The Beckhams happened
Isabella: Twilight
Wyatt: Charmed the tv show
Kate/George/Charlotte: Royals
Hermione: Harry Potter
Justin: Bieber
Ariana: Grande

AbbyCadabby Tue 22-Dec-15 22:40:18

Phoenix (Scary Spice). I do prefer the name my daughter has, but had I had several daughters, this would have been on the list, but not!

PurpleDaisies Tue 22-Dec-15 22:42:43

This is one of the big problems with being a teacher...

ThroughThickAndThin01 Tue 22-Dec-15 22:44:08

Not quite what you mean but ds1 was due to be a Jack. As soon as he was born the midwife asked his name and when we said Jack the midwife screwed her nose up and said "that's a shame there are so many Jacks around". So we changed our minds shock grin.

I still like Jack, but on the whole glad we changed it.

CraigRevelHorwoodsPetCat Tue 22-Dec-15 22:56:46

I have an irrational dislike of Les Dennis. I am sure he's a lovely man.

I had a love of the name Parker.

Les made a comment to Gail. Corrie. Something about The Thunderbirds and he said "Yes, m'lady." Ruined. Pregnancy hormones made me wail for about three days

CraigRevelHorwoodsPetCat Tue 22-Dec-15 23:00:50

Also. I'm from NI. I wanted a baby Luke. In laws are country bumpkins and pronounce Luke as Luck. Like Buck. Or Muck. Not Loo-k. May have also cried irrational tears.

We settled for Evan. Middle name John. Didn't think that through..Evan is Welsh for John. Baby John-John. hmmgrin

MouldyPeach Tue 22-Dec-15 23:00:51

I used to love Elsa and Anna - now I have to let it go hmm

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Tue 22-Dec-15 23:03:30

Many moons ago, my mum was pg with me. I was going to be a Karen, until they saw a naughty toddler Karen...

So I wasn't Karen!

ExBallerina Tue 22-Dec-15 23:05:21

I loved Ramona. Strong contender for DD.

Then DH's friend told me his nickname for his ex-girlfriend was Mona, because she was...a moaner hmm

So, for me, it was out.

Whatsername24 Tue 22-Dec-15 23:05:57

Liam. We both loved it and would've called our younger son that but we'd recently had new next door neigbours who had a son called Liam and he was a horrible bully to our older son (who was 3 at the time) so there was no way we could use it.

Rivercam Tue 22-Dec-15 23:18:33

Loved Violet until someone (on mn?) said that if you add a N it becomes Violent

Mark - described to me as stain you find on things

Sabrina. - loved Sabrina as a child due to Charlie's Angels. She was a sassy strong character. Then Sabrina the Witch came along...

George - grew up with the nursery name ",Georgie Porgy..." So would never call a child George in case they got teased. It hasn't stopped lots of people calling their dc George.

William - wouldn't name a child William due to the Willy abbreviation. Obviously didn't stop,the royals

BooOzMoo Wed 23-Dec-15 00:28:23

Our DC was going to be Willow. 2 weeks before DC was born Mark Owen had a girl and called her Willow!!! We then settled for Elinor. I think we also fancied Ruby did DC1 and the Kaiser Chiefs ruined that one!

Lucky DC had a penis!!!!

jamtartandcustard Wed 23-Dec-15 02:35:25

Oh CraigRevel can I just say your child had a lucky escape. It's not just the Thunderbirds and "yes m'lady" jokes but also the Parker pen, nosey Parker names it would have to put up with .... Bet you can't guess what my maiden name was wink
I used to love Charlotte, was top of my list for years but kinda gone off it over the last 12 months
Luke also love but I have 2 ex's called Luke and that's just a bit weird.

Strokethefurrywall Wed 23-Dec-15 02:52:05

Loved Harper when pregnant with DS1 (didn't find out the sex).
Then the Beckhams had their Harper about 3 months before I was due. Now I like the Beckhams but I didn't fancy fielding the "oh you like the Beckhams then?" questions that would have been inevitable.
Any name that is overused is ruined for me honestly.

madmotherof2 Wed 23-Dec-15 07:43:52

I've always loved the name Jack but over the past 15 years or so there's been sadness surrounding the name ( I've known 2 Jacks who died) so I see it as bad luck now confused

smartyclogs Wed 23-Dec-15 13:09:43

I wanted to call Dd2 Leah but after googling the meaning, tired, weary, dull and cow I went off it rather swiftish.

Sofiria Wed 23-Dec-15 19:17:15

Edward was ruined for me by Twilight. I know it's a classic name and the association will be gone in a decade, but sparkly vampires really put me off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now