Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

According to MN common opinions, what sort of names do your DC have?

(102 Posts)
Crazybaglady Thu 17-Dec-15 23:44:06

Just for fun really, if you've ever come across your DC's name. I come across DS's frequuently on here but DD I did a name search for when she was first born (and quickly regretted!)

Mine:
A bit blah

DS:
A dog name/ a surname

DD:
Seventies american cheerleader/ council estate/ horrific

UmbongoUnchained Thu 17-Dec-15 23:47:25

My daughters is quite well received. But she does have 2 middle names which is usually a no no on here...

Crazybaglady Thu 17-Dec-15 23:48:41

Umbongo- my daughters middle name is a number... I can picture the twisted knickers now grin

Norfolknway Thu 17-Dec-15 23:49:41

DD - it's one of the 'ee' ended names, too cutsie and girly - wouldn't be great as a grown up blah blah blah

DS- they love his full name but wouldn't use it for themselves as they hate the shortened version

WitchSharkadder Thu 17-Dec-15 23:56:14

DS1- not really seen it mentioned a lot but fairly neutral when it is.

DS2- classic but too common.

DS3- hated, should a nn rather than a full name.

DS4- neutral.

LineyReborn Thu 17-Dec-15 23:59:41

Ooh I need to guess yours, OP.

Nicola
Hunter
Lori Seven

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Fri 18-Dec-15 00:05:54

My DD is Molly. I'm not too sure what MN make of it.

RiverTam Fri 18-Dec-15 00:07:08

Oh, MN thinks DD's is dreadful, terribly terribly common doncha know. First and middle names. Ghastly. She's probably some council estate oik.

I still think her name is beautiful.

StrawberryMouse Fri 18-Dec-15 00:08:03

Mine have both recently been in the UK top ten... Big no no. grin

DramaAlpaca Fri 18-Dec-15 00:08:45

DS1 - a 'naughty boy' name confused
DS2 - a classic
DS3 - has become popular recently, but was very unusual when I chose it

Holstein Fri 18-Dec-15 00:09:06

DS- hipster name hmm It's really not!
DD- marmite name grin we still love it (along with 50% of MNers)

TesticleOfObjectivity Fri 18-Dec-15 00:11:47

I don't know what mn would think of dd's first name, though I suspect it will gain in popularity in the next 2-5 years so we shall see. Her middle name is a well liked name but way to high in the popularity lists.

My name is classic and not too common now. ( I think!)

TesticleOfObjectivity Fri 18-Dec-15 00:13:00

I want to know what everyone's names are now! Especially the hipster name and the number middle name!

MooseAndSquirrel Fri 18-Dec-15 00:16:33

DD1 has a boring name, seems others think they'll be at least 5 others with the same name in her class every year she's 7 and there's 3in the hole school so there!
DD2 has a dogs name
Although dog has a strong name for a boy to grow into hmm

OvO Fri 18-Dec-15 00:18:37

Both my DS's names are called classic or boring.

I vote classic. grin

wigglesrock Fri 18-Dec-15 00:21:07

All three of them have top 10 names shock, one of my daughters even has a former no 1 name. This undoubtedly marks them out as having unimaginative, dull parents and will forever damn them to a lifetime of being known by their surname initial or being surrounded by others with,God forbid, the same name.

Canyouforgiveher Fri 18-Dec-15 00:22:26

Mine: unusual classic but trendy now - acceptable. Actually could fit in hipster as well as classic I suspect.

DH: MN would probably presume he was american - or maybe Scottish (it is actually an obscure Irish name)

DS: ok-classic celtic but not classic british. MN would have no opinion other than he probably plays GAA (he doesn't know what GAA is)

DD: her shortened version would be normal pretty-sounding girl name; the full thing would come under irish names English people can't pronounce, why would you do that to a child?

DD2: Pure classic.

ouryve Fri 18-Dec-15 00:23:49

Not seen either of mine, but someone somewhere else once described DS1's as chavvy.

Neither name was top 50 when chosen.

Shemozzle Fri 18-Dec-15 00:23:58

Dd1: American/chav/should be a character in Star Wars

Dd2: Pretentious/tragic/cat name/ridiculous

All of these opinions are true. grin

ouryve Fri 18-Dec-15 00:25:21

And apparently, my name is an old lady name in France - or so I was told about 14 years ago, which means it's probably about to come into fashion.

LittleBoxes Fri 18-Dec-15 00:25:47

DD: free spirit nature hippie name.

I am not like that at all.

DixieNormas Fri 18-Dec-15 00:30:15

Ds1 naughty boy name
ds2 American name
ds3 a nn on birth certificate
ds4 too many around after twilight
Ds5 boring or classic

ExBallerina Fri 18-Dec-15 00:49:01

Mine-never seen anything on it. My guess is it would be awful.

DH-chavvy.

DD-some people hate it, some love it.

TheDowagerCuntess Fri 18-Dec-15 02:31:04

DD - classic, timeless, elegant, feminine.

DS - dated, boring, never going to come back into fashion, Dad name. He's known by a nickname of it.

I'm not too worried as I was given a dated, old lady, never going to come back into fashion name in the 70s, and now it (or its variations) is so over-used, people are sick to the back teeth of it.

BitOfFun Fri 18-Dec-15 02:41:05

Both my daughters' names are universally approved, judging by just a search of titles only in the Baby Names topic here grin.

They're not especially controversial or over-used though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: