Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

According to MN common opinions, what sort of names do your DC have?

(102 Posts)
Crazybaglady Thu 17-Dec-15 23:44:06

Just for fun really, if you've ever come across your DC's name. I come across DS's frequuently on here but DD I did a name search for when she was first born (and quickly regretted!)

Mine:
A bit blah

DS:
A dog name/ a surname

DD:
Seventies american cheerleader/ council estate/ horrific

UmbongoUnchained Thu 17-Dec-15 23:47:25

My daughters is quite well received. But she does have 2 middle names which is usually a no no on here...

Crazybaglady Thu 17-Dec-15 23:48:41

Umbongo- my daughters middle name is a number... I can picture the twisted knickers now grin

Norfolknway Thu 17-Dec-15 23:49:41

DD - it's one of the 'ee' ended names, too cutsie and girly - wouldn't be great as a grown up blah blah blah

DS- they love his full name but wouldn't use it for themselves as they hate the shortened version

WitchSharkadder Thu 17-Dec-15 23:56:14

DS1- not really seen it mentioned a lot but fairly neutral when it is.

DS2- classic but too common.

DS3- hated, should a nn rather than a full name.

DS4- neutral.

LineyReborn Thu 17-Dec-15 23:59:41

Ooh I need to guess yours, OP.

Nicola
Hunter
Lori Seven

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Fri 18-Dec-15 00:05:54

My DD is Molly. I'm not too sure what MN make of it.

RiverTam Fri 18-Dec-15 00:07:08

Oh, MN thinks DD's is dreadful, terribly terribly common doncha know. First and middle names. Ghastly. She's probably some council estate oik.

I still think her name is beautiful.

StrawberryMouse Fri 18-Dec-15 00:08:03

Mine have both recently been in the UK top ten... Big no no. grin

DramaAlpaca Fri 18-Dec-15 00:08:45

DS1 - a 'naughty boy' name confused
DS2 - a classic
DS3 - has become popular recently, but was very unusual when I chose it

Holstein Fri 18-Dec-15 00:09:06

DS- hipster name hmm It's really not!
DD- marmite name grin we still love it (along with 50% of MNers)

TesticleOfObjectivity Fri 18-Dec-15 00:11:47

I don't know what mn would think of dd's first name, though I suspect it will gain in popularity in the next 2-5 years so we shall see. Her middle name is a well liked name but way to high in the popularity lists.

My name is classic and not too common now. ( I think!)

TesticleOfObjectivity Fri 18-Dec-15 00:13:00

I want to know what everyone's names are now! Especially the hipster name and the number middle name!

MooseAndSquirrel Fri 18-Dec-15 00:16:33

DD1 has a boring name, seems others think they'll be at least 5 others with the same name in her class every year she's 7 and there's 3in the hole school so there!
DD2 has a dogs name
Although dog has a strong name for a boy to grow into hmm

OvO Fri 18-Dec-15 00:18:37

Both my DS's names are called classic or boring.

I vote classic. grin

wigglesrock Fri 18-Dec-15 00:21:07

All three of them have top 10 names shock, one of my daughters even has a former no 1 name. This undoubtedly marks them out as having unimaginative, dull parents and will forever damn them to a lifetime of being known by their surname initial or being surrounded by others with,God forbid, the same name.

Canyouforgiveher Fri 18-Dec-15 00:22:26

Mine: unusual classic but trendy now - acceptable. Actually could fit in hipster as well as classic I suspect.

DH: MN would probably presume he was american - or maybe Scottish (it is actually an obscure Irish name)

DS: ok-classic celtic but not classic british. MN would have no opinion other than he probably plays GAA (he doesn't know what GAA is)

DD: her shortened version would be normal pretty-sounding girl name; the full thing would come under irish names English people can't pronounce, why would you do that to a child?

DD2: Pure classic.

ouryve Fri 18-Dec-15 00:23:49

Not seen either of mine, but someone somewhere else once described DS1's as chavvy.

Neither name was top 50 when chosen.

Shemozzle Fri 18-Dec-15 00:23:58

Dd1: American/chav/should be a character in Star Wars

Dd2: Pretentious/tragic/cat name/ridiculous

All of these opinions are true. grin

ouryve Fri 18-Dec-15 00:25:21

And apparently, my name is an old lady name in France - or so I was told about 14 years ago, which means it's probably about to come into fashion.

LittleBoxes Fri 18-Dec-15 00:25:47

DD: free spirit nature hippie name.

I am not like that at all.

DixieNormas Fri 18-Dec-15 00:30:15

Ds1 naughty boy name
ds2 American name
ds3 a nn on birth certificate
ds4 too many around after twilight
Ds5 boring or classic

ExBallerina Fri 18-Dec-15 00:49:01

Mine-never seen anything on it. My guess is it would be awful.

DH-chavvy.

DD-some people hate it, some love it.

TheDowagerCuntess Fri 18-Dec-15 02:31:04

DD - classic, timeless, elegant, feminine.

DS - dated, boring, never going to come back into fashion, Dad name. He's known by a nickname of it.

I'm not too worried as I was given a dated, old lady, never going to come back into fashion name in the 70s, and now it (or its variations) is so over-used, people are sick to the back teeth of it.

BitOfFun Fri 18-Dec-15 02:41:05

Both my daughters' names are universally approved, judging by just a search of titles only in the Baby Names topic here grin.

They're not especially controversial or over-used though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now