Talk

Advanced search

What names do you judge the most?

(65 Posts)
EmilySmallwood Wed 16-Dec-15 23:37:51

Seems like a lot of people judge names on here, so just wondering which names you do...

ilovelamp82 Wed 16-Dec-15 23:44:02

What a horrible question. Ultimately you are going to offend people.

Ipushedmygrannyaffabus Wed 16-Dec-15 23:44:46

I don't judge a child by their name, but maybe I do make snap judgements about what their parents must be like. It's either end of the spectrum for me - uniquely spelled 'modern' names and your Ptolemy and Juno esque names, which I would deem 'posh'. I don't bat an eyelid at uncommon names such as Tiger, Dallas or Bay (just a few random examples).

Ipushedmygrannyaffabus Wed 16-Dec-15 23:51:46

But I regret answering this because it is a horrible question!

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Wed 16-Dec-15 23:52:37

Define "judge" in this context.

I wouldn't judge a child by their name, but some names would seem to say something about the parents - rightly or wrongly. For example, I would imagine Hugo's parents to be more middle class, well educated etc. etc. than Ryley-Jai's parents.

Even that doesn't always work however, it's just a general first impression you get on hearing a name.

EmilySmallwood Thu 17-Dec-15 00:07:06

I'm not the one being horrible! It's the comments I'm reading on some other people's posts that are horrible!!

ilovelamp82 Thu 17-Dec-15 00:09:26

So you thought it would be a good idea to ask more people to post horrible comments?

celtictoast Thu 17-Dec-15 00:12:07

biscuit

MistressoftheYoniverse Thu 17-Dec-15 00:18:22

Relax people!...

freespiritsbadattitude Thu 17-Dec-15 00:35:29

hmm

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Thu 17-Dec-15 15:45:26

I think you do ask quite an interesting question. We all build up perceptions of people when we hear their names whether we admit it or not.

AnnaMarlowe Thu 17-Dec-15 15:57:22

There is a difference between giving your opinion when asked (as on MN baby names threads) and judging.

I have a lovely friend who has a terrible (IMO) name. She in turn has given her DD (IMO) a terrible name.

I don't judge either of them, they like their names (both of which are big MN no no's) I just feel a bit sorry for them - as I think there are lot and lots of lovely women's names to choose from.

They have no idea I think that neither of their names pass the high court judge test. It has no impact on our friendship.

She possibly hates my name too!

Sunshine511 Thu 17-Dec-15 15:58:31

I have been on countless threads where people are saying don't call your child x, y or z because "people will think you're illiterate", "there are too many trouble makers by that name", "too pretentious", "too posh", the list goes on! People make judgements on names on here every hour of the day! Maybe the poster is looking for a list of names to avoid due to the various remarks she has seen on other threads?x

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Thu 17-Dec-15 16:09:21

I tell you what I really do judge, cutesy-wutesy little girl names that are suitable only for babies or dolls. They make me angry. That is because I think it contributes to the genderising of girls from birth by giving them a name that reduces them to a little cutesy thing rather than considering them as an adult woman one day.
I do believe that a Ruth or a Rebecca will be unconsciously treated as more capable than a Pixie-Boo in life so yes, I judge those parents. But I'm a humourless feminist so plenty will think I'm a twat for that.

SirChenjin Thu 17-Dec-15 16:13:34

I'll bite.

Run of the mill names that are given a youneeq spelling - although I don't judge the name, I judge the parents. Does that count confused

Oh - and hyphenated names. Kelly-Louise has given way to Ruby-Mae - still awful.

Rose1Thornton Thu 17-Dec-15 16:40:25

Average/popular names like Alfie, Jack, Tom, Oliver, Rose, Sophia, Charlie, Alice etc makes me think that the parents are safe if that makes sense. That's about it really, even peculiar names tend to sounds okay after a while, I knew a kid named Wolfgang, thought the parents were quite daring at first 😂 but then it just became another name.

PurpleThermalsNowItsWinter Thu 17-Dec-15 16:50:15

Star - would say boho parents but Starr is just too try hard (I know one of each but only ever met Starr's dm)

Equally I know three sets of twins where one has a really unique name and the other has what I would consider a 'normal' name. Think Fox & Charlie, Wolf & Jack, Nova & Sophie. I'm still not sure what to make of that and each set of twins are between 2&7yrs now.

LaurieLemons Thu 17-Dec-15 16:59:14

I know what you mean OP I think a lot of mumsnetters judge names that aren't 'proper' and insist on using the full name which is never going to be used confused. Tbh I think anyone who is seriously going to judge you based on your name is not someone you want in your life grin. While if I met a Pixie-Boo I might think oh gosh what were the parents thinking I wouldn't treat them or the parents any differently.

freespiritsbadattitude Thu 17-Dec-15 17:02:04

"Tbh I think anyone who is seriously going to judge you based on your name is not someone you want in your life"

Totally. Thankfully I don't know anyone in RL who judges a person by their name. Awful. Or if they do, they keep it to themselves, anyway.

Lweji Thu 17-Dec-15 17:09:23

Are you trying to spot which one of us is Katie Hopkins? grin

From an earlier post, if you think to yourself what were the parents thinking, then you are judging. Even if you treat neither definitely.

We all judge each other. And whatever is presented to us by others. It's human nature. What may vary is what we give importance to and how we act on those judgements.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Thu 17-Dec-15 17:09:31

Yes, but the thing is that you can't control who is going to judge you on your name and it could be someone who can make decisions over your life such as a prospective employer. I also don't think the judgement is necessarily consciously done; I just think a woman with a classic name will be advantaged in some situations over the woman with the silly baby name. The baby-name woman is also likely to internalise that infantilisation especially if (as is likely if her parents thought a baby name was appropriate) the parents impose limiting gender roles in other areas of life.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Thu 17-Dec-15 17:10:12

And therefore she will self limit as women who internalise patriarchal gender norms do...

SparklyTinselTits Thu 17-Dec-15 17:18:33

Like others have said, I don't judge the child or the parents...but I do have an immediate thought as to what the parents are like.
As someone else said, I always assume that Hugo or Cressida's parents are terribly middle class, and that Rylie-Jai or Franki-Blue's parents are chavs blush then give myself a little talking to and realise that I'm being a complete tit.
Having said that....I live on an RAF station, and the station xommander's wife attends play group with their toddler. His name is Montgomery hmm I didn't know the woman, but as soon as I heard the kid's name I immediately thought "she's an officer's wife" blush

SirChenjin Thu 17-Dec-15 17:21:36

I don't think you're being a complete tit at all. How we name our children tends to reflect who we are, our values, our likes and dislikes.

ChatShitGetBanged Thu 17-Dec-15 17:27:23

I genuinely worry my ds name will get judged...he is ten but when I had him i was quite young. and thought was the most beautiful name in the world. I am not saying it but suffice to say it is now widely known as very "chavvy"

my younger dc are called more traditional names

so I would not judge any name but some names, the lola-mae's of the world etc I may assume the parent is young

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now