Talk

Advanced search

Hunter

(76 Posts)
CumbriaMum91 Wed 16-Dec-15 05:10:50

How popular is it becoming where you live and is it likely to "boom" in the next couple of years?

I like it but I'm worried it will, in my words, "do a Riley" and everyone start using it one year and I really would rather have something more unusual for my blue bump coz my DD's name is very unique

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 16-Dec-15 05:17:32

I live in North America and it's massive here. What are you looking for? Unusual or Americany or classic?

CumbriaMum91 Wed 16-Dec-15 06:03:04

Thanks MrsTerry my other kids have American surname-y type names but that are unusual in the UK.

I think Hunter may be a lot more popular in the US than it is here looking at the name rankings

wannabestressfree Wed 16-Dec-15 06:04:31

Gladiator..... Ready.....smile

Nicegreenhandbag Wed 16-Dec-15 06:08:29

^ yes.

No. It's a bit strong and I'd change my mind and regret it. There's unique and interesting but Hunter isn't either of those things sorry.

mouldycheesefan Wed 16-Dec-15 06:13:52

Yes gladiator! That was my first thought. It is a a name that would actually suit only a very small number of people and certainly not a baby or child.

Hunter and Riley are still surnames here where we don't try to be youneek.

MaryMarigold Wed 16-Dec-15 06:22:44

My great grandfather (born in Scotland in the late1800s) was called Hunter.

It's a great name imo and a definite contender should we ever have a DS2. I've met one baby Hunter in recent years so I don't think it's exactly ubiquitous!

SoWhite Wed 16-Dec-15 07:40:10

I can't get past wellies.

AuntieStella Wed 16-Dec-15 07:45:53

I don't like surname names much anyhow.

And I don't think this one will take off in UK, because the vocabulary meaning will be spotted and hunting is controversial. And the wellies.

Enjolrass Wed 16-Dec-15 07:47:34

My dads middle name is hunter and he is 60.

He was actually given it as tradition in his family was to give the son the mothers maiden name.

I have always loved it. Would have given ds it, but mum hated her mil. Wasn't worth it

WeThreeMythicalKings Wed 16-Dec-15 07:47:56

It's a surname. If you have the name in your family maybe it would work, otherwise it's a bit naff.

SirChenjin Wed 16-Dec-15 07:48:07

Wellies.

CallaLilli Wed 16-Dec-15 07:56:31

Only if you don't name his sibling Rider or Fisher or Shootsr!

CallaLilli Wed 16-Dec-15 07:56:51

*Shooter

EmpressOfTheVulvaCupcakes Wed 16-Dec-15 07:57:47

Twats like this (sorry).

SparklyTinselTits Wed 16-Dec-15 07:59:53

I like it....until someone who doesn't pronounce their "T's" properly says it blush

PennyHasNoSurname Wed 16-Dec-15 08:05:35

Oh gosh, Riley has exploded hasnt it! there are three in dds preschool class of 18.

Hunter is nice as far as surnamey names go. Just dont do.it if your surname starts with C. I can remember us all playing games where were would make spoonerism of our names and Cunter would win outright!

TheDaerieQueene Wed 16-Dec-15 08:08:00

I don't know any baby Hunters - here (SW London, fairly conservative) I've seen multiples of Alfie, Max, Teddy, Theo and Alexander, and lots of the classic royal/Thomas the Tank Engine names. A few of the more popular surname names like Jackson and Harrison but no Hunters yet.

That said, it feels current/fashionable to me because it shares characteristics with other trendy surname/occupation/American type names. So it feels more "2015" than something like William or Henry, even though there are lots more Williams and Henrys (Henries?) around.

EmmaGellerGreen Wed 16-Dec-15 08:11:48

Gladiator, wellies, shooting animals......... Not great for a baby or person really.

CumbriaMum91 Wed 16-Dec-15 08:30:33

Sorry I wasn't asking if anyone liked it I should've made that clear. Just the popularity of it and if it's increasing in their areas smile You would all despise my DD's name, (it's not even in the top #1000) unless you met her so I don't really mind people's opinions.

Just worried it will become one of those unusual names that picks up in popularity all of a sudden (where I live Jackson, Jayden and Riley all did that)

UnDeuxTroisCatsSank Wed 16-Dec-15 09:04:16

A hunter is someone who kills things.
Or it's a pair of wellies.
Or it's a surname.

You might not have asked for opinions but this is the baby name board! You are going to get them!

MangosteenSoda Wed 16-Dec-15 09:12:19

I met a little Hudson recently. Same kind of name, but maybe less used.

Clinton another possibility. If he's really cool, he could pull off nn Clint grin

MitzyLeFrouf Wed 16-Dec-15 10:30:57

I don't mind surnames as first names but Hunter does remind me more of the Gladiator.

Hudson is kind of cool.

MitzyLeFrouf Wed 16-Dec-15 10:32:11

It's certainly had a steep increase in popularity

names.darkgreener.com/#hunter

SoWhite Wed 16-Dec-15 10:45:55

I think Hudson is cool too. One of the better surname names.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now