Talk

Advanced search

Elaina/Helaina

(138 Posts)
Barbiequed Sun 13-Dec-15 16:40:09

I love these 2 names, pronounced this way. I know many mnetters are anti 'made up' name's but I think in this instance phonetic spelling will save them a lifetime of correcting people who call them the other version?

Its not like Feebee for instance...

Please mumsnet guide me!

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sun 13-Dec-15 16:43:59

Nope, they look daft, sorry. Elena and Helena are both pronounced that way although they both have alternative pronunciations. Don't stick random diagraphs in names because you don't like the usual spelling.
Phonetically spelt variations of names always look to me like the namer is illiterate.

SoupDragon Sun 13-Dec-15 16:44:55

I think they look dreadful, particularly Helaina. Surely spelling them phonetically is exactly the same as Feebee?

Costacoffeeplease Sun 13-Dec-15 16:48:37

Yep, dreadful, nothing wrong with the original names, 'creative' spellings look like illiteracy

Veterinari Sun 13-Dec-15 16:49:24

I went to school with n Alaina (25 years ago )
How about that?

Stirling84 Sun 13-Dec-15 16:49:38

If you want the pronunciation to be unambiguous use an East European spelling like Jelena.

Pooka Sun 13-Dec-15 16:51:14

You'd be setting did up for a lifetime of saying "Helena spelt helaina" which is no different really to "Helena pronounced helaina"

Spidertracker Sun 13-Dec-15 16:51:59

Helena is lovely. I would role my eyes at the spelling Helaina though. If you are decided on one or the other I would go for Helaina as Elaina looks like you were aiming for Elaine and made a typo.

Pooka Sun 13-Dec-15 16:52:44

Actually scratch that - what I wrote makes no sense at all. Brain's not working today.

I still think helaina looks wrong and not really different to feebee.

Pinklily1 Sun 13-Dec-15 16:53:34

Both are awful. They would get asked fewer questions/ have fewer issues having to spell the names if you used the traditional spellings. Otherwise I agree with others, they look made up/ like the namer can't spell properly.

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Sun 13-Dec-15 16:53:59

They'll have to spell it out for everyone, surely?

Barbiequed Sun 13-Dec-15 16:54:40

A quick internet search pulls up Elaina Owen, Olympic medalist from 60s ans Dr Helaina Black, ecologist.

Theres also a Dr Elaina Collie Duguid at University of Aberdeen. I wouldn't think their parents were illiterate

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sun 13-Dec-15 16:56:09

I would

SoupDragon Sun 13-Dec-15 16:56:25

^phonetic spelling will save them a lifetime of correcting people who call them the other version?

And give them a lifetime of spelling their name to people.

TheNumberfaker Sun 13-Dec-15 16:58:48

If you want to use any of those spellings, go ahead, but they do look daft!

Costacoffeeplease Sun 13-Dec-15 16:59:44

Their parents might have been illiterate, we don't know, but if you're happy to be thought illiterate, then crack on

Barbiequed Sun 13-Dec-15 17:00:14

OK, I get about the spelling but now im curious about those who think spelling the names with an ai are illiterate! Thats a bit strong imo

Barbiequed Sun 13-Dec-15 17:00:54

costa wow! Thats a little harsh!

Barbiequed Sun 13-Dec-15 17:03:00

Im new on the site and posed what I thought was a harmless question and didn't need the likes of you, Costa, to be so blunt.

Thanks everyone for advice. Will bear it in mind

SueDunome Sun 13-Dec-15 17:07:09

Harsh but true

Barbiequed Sun 13-Dec-15 17:14:59

Harsh that the people I mentioned might have had illiterate parents?

Yup, thats harsh and more than likely untrue.

You guys have been reading too much Freakanomics to justify your own prejudices.

Pinklily1 Sun 13-Dec-15 17:16:44

I think by 'illiterate' I was meaning that to me, where a fairly standard name like Helena is spelt differently to the traditional/ more common spelling, I think it looks slightly odd and as if either the namer made an error or spelt it that way to be purposefully different (which is not something I like). Its a beautiful name and personally, I would stick with the more usual spelling. I have a name that can be spelt in one of two ways and I constantly have to confirm the correct spelling, which gets irritating.

ThisIsWhyImBroke Sun 13-Dec-15 17:20:35

I really love the name Helaina pronounced that way smile

Barbiequed Sun 13-Dec-15 17:23:15

Hmmm... or maybe by illiterate you mean some dumb ass ethnic. At least thats the subtext im getting.

gadflyonthewallblog.wordpress.com/2015/09/06/white-people-need-to-stop-snickering-at-black-names/

StrawberryTeaLeaf Sun 13-Dec-15 17:27:40

Pretend to hear any subtext you like.

The meaning of 'wow that looks illiterate' repeated a dozen times, slightly differently phrased is pretty bloody clear.

IT LOOKS ILLITERATE.

There is no history in the UK of any particular racial group spelling names creatively or phonetically, anyway, so you make little sense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now