Talk

Advanced search

Tigi/Tiger for girl

(67 Posts)
MouldyPeach Sun 06-Dec-15 14:51:46

Which one is better? Or are they both awful? I have two dds already, both with old fashioned names, one which has got very popular and one that hasn't. If this baby was a boy he almost definitely would have been Tiger but I'm not sure it suits a girl or of Tigi is a rubbish feminine alternative. Any thoughts? (I have thick skin 😑 )

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 06-Dec-15 14:52:48

I love it!

It won't get the general MN love though....

rudolphistheboss Sun 06-Dec-15 14:54:52

How about Antigone (said An-tig-oni) with nn Tigi?

I wouldn't use Tiger personally or Tigi by itself.

latika Sun 06-Dec-15 14:59:00

I know a guy - he's about 27 called Tiger. Totally suits him.

MouldyPeach Sun 06-Dec-15 14:59:53

Hm she will have an Italian surname so that could work and it's a beautiful name. Both dds use the nn of full names, I do like the thought of them having a choice of names to be known by when they're older. (Or 2 names to hate.)

Sadik Sun 06-Dec-15 15:02:06

I have to say I'd also be inclined to use it as a nname. If Antigone is a bit much, I know a Tegan known as Tiggy, and Tiger would work equally well, I think.

I'd say that Tiger used as a 'full' name is generally for boys.

MouldyPeach Sun 06-Dec-15 15:02:43

latika can I ask why it suits him? Unborn dd is something of a survivor so I think Tiger is apt in that way. Oh, I've just realised maybe I'm thinking of the Rocky theme tune haha that's why tiger = survivor in my brain confused

MouldyPeach Sun 06-Dec-15 15:05:03

I like Tigerlilly but my eldest is Lillian nn Lily so I wouldn't want to use it. Tegan is quite popular here and I want to be a special snowflake

Jw35 Sun 06-Dec-15 15:11:10

I like Tiger Lily. My eldest is Lily and I always wished I'd called her that!

Tiger is lovely for a girl or boy. Tigi is gorgeous

IoraRua Sun 06-Dec-15 15:14:28

I think Tigi/Tiger/Antigone are all dreadful.

feelingcrossagain Sun 06-Dec-15 15:15:31

Sorry, I don't like it. For some reason i think it has sexual connotations, 'c'mon Tiger' that sort of thing.
I also think it is a bit of a name to lve up to.

originalmavis Sun 06-Dec-15 15:16:39

But tigers are boy big cats!

SoWhite Sun 06-Dec-15 15:25:34

I know a Ruby-Tiger. You can visibly see people cringe when she introduces herself.

Snossidge Sun 06-Dec-15 15:31:15

Yeah there are no girl tigers mavis they reproduce by cloning themselves grin

originalmavis Sun 06-Dec-15 15:33:00

Nooooooo, isn't it a tigress?

Bloody smart these big cats you know...

GerundTheBehemoth Sun 06-Dec-15 15:34:02

Ruby Tiger is a species of moth, this one. I quite like Tiger for a boy or a girl.

MouldyPeach Sun 06-Dec-15 15:35:12

A tiger is a tiger whatever the sex surely? Or is a female a tigress? Which is a rubbish name.

MouldyPeach Sun 06-Dec-15 15:37:31

I think it's a bit of a stretch to think it could be sexualised. The only time I've heard it in a sexual/pet name kinda way is in The Archers tbh!

LeaLeander Sun 06-Dec-15 15:42:35

Tiger sounds like a stripper name. Give her something more formal and then select whatever cutesy nickname fits. For her sake.

Iwanttobeadog Sun 06-Dec-15 15:55:50

Someone I know truly believed Tigers were girls and lions were the boy version. He was an adult

Would you say Tigi the same as tiggy? If so you could channel your inner st jilly cooper and call her Agatha

PurplePenguin25 Sun 06-Dec-15 16:17:30

Tigerlily would have been perfect! I don't see a problem with Tiger, but go for something feminine for the middle name!
smile

feelingcrossagain Sun 06-Dec-15 16:29:34

Well, if you think it has no sexual connotations tell that to the Chinese who use tiger penises for male sexual dysfunction and the pp who said it is a stripper name. It might not have sexual connotations for you but it will for a lot of other people.
Sorry, I just think names like this carry a lot of baggage and expectations of the sort of person your dd will be. Why not give her a name that doesn't carry such weight and allows her to grow to be herself without all the preconceived notions?

lornathewizzard Sun 06-Dec-15 16:49:04

I don't like either sorry, way too try hard. Tegan is nice though (not sure of spelling?)

PurplePenguin25 Sun 06-Dec-15 16:53:42

Yes, I like Teegan/Teagan!

ashesandfire Sun 06-Dec-15 16:57:46

I think it would sound utterly bizarre to name your 3rd dd Tiger when your other dds have traditional names.
I quite like Tiggy as a nn for Antigone though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now