Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

A couple of unusual ones

(23 Posts)
lilyb84 Thu 03-Dec-15 14:26:45

Okay, so the first isn't massively unusual but isn't exactly on the top 100 list: Ralph. What do you think? DH really likes it, I think it's cute but not sure in practice whether it would be nice or just a bit odd...

The second is the odder one: Grover. It's currently the name we're using while baby's in utero, which stemmed from a delivery driver getting my husband's name wrong and calling him Grover. It's also a Muppets character I think (hang on, isn't Ralph as well?!). Only thing is I'm using it so much to refer to baby I'm worried it's going to stick - and DH actually thinks it's a great name.

Your thoughts and opinions welcome!

Artandco Thu 03-Dec-15 14:28:24

Ralph is very very common around here now ( London). Ds has 3 in his class of 18!

Grover = dog

Tiggeryoubastard Thu 03-Dec-15 14:31:37

Ralph makes me think of Ralph Wickham.
Grover is fucking ridiculous, I would judge anyone that did that to a child immensely.

RiverTam Thu 03-Dec-15 14:35:08

Ralph I'm not keen on, plus there's the endless palaver over how to pronounce it.

Grover doesn't sound like a name to me. I don't actually mind surnames being used as first names but that one just doesn't work for me.

So no to both. Sorry.

Lozza1990 Thu 03-Dec-15 14:35:36

Honestly both sound like dog names to me grin. Calling your baby Grover will stick it's literally how my DS' name came about, so I would stop that if you don't actually want to use it!

lilyb84 Thu 03-Dec-15 14:39:37

Agree with the both sounding a bit like dogs comments, although I don't get that quite so much from Ralph. I also don't know anyone who'd struggle with the pronunciation - until he publicly declared it was okay to pronounce it with the flat 'a', I was the one constantly pointing out to friends and family that Ralph Fiennes' name was pronounced 'Rafe', with most of them not believing me. Maybe it's a regional thing.

I'm not particularly seriously considering Grover but DH (and a few friends) have been so enthused about it I wasn't sure if I was maybe ignoring a potential name. Maybe we can keep it as a nickname grin

MrsBungle Thu 03-Dec-15 14:43:01

Ralph is nice. Not unusual really but nice. Grover is really terrible!

TheSecondViola Thu 03-Dec-15 14:44:57

To some women of a certain age, Ralph is a synonym for penis.
Grover sounds very American. Like an 18th century president.

Artandco Thu 03-Dec-15 14:54:09

All are pronounced 'rafe' around here

hobitty Thu 03-Dec-15 14:59:21

Ralph is a good solid classic name that is well known but not over popular. I know only one Ralph under 10.

Grover is much more unusual and I don't know any with this name. But I could grow to really like it if associated with a lovely boy/man.

Lots of dogs/cats names are used for people including Oscar, Felix etc. That wouldn't worry me at all.

Tiggeryoubastard Thu 03-Dec-15 14:59:46

It's Ralph here, not Rafe. And I'm a certain age, never heard it used for penis, though I have for vomiting.

hobitty Thu 03-Dec-15 15:02:04

Never heard of any penis or vomit association... I don't think kids nowadays would either!

Tiggeryoubastard Thu 03-Dec-15 15:03:31

I'm guessing they're both regional and confined to the past.

lilyb84 Thu 03-Dec-15 15:08:10

Ah yes, the Judy Blume link. I'd forgotten about that - never did like that book. But well pointed out TheSecondViola! Doubt DH will have heard of it and don't know how many of the later generations will be familiar with it...

hobitty I agree with growing to like anything when you associate it with a lovely person {smile}

RiverTam Thu 03-Dec-15 15:10:42

Yes, I had a vague idea about the penis thing (44).

I know that Ralph Fiennes pronounces it Rafe but him saying that was the first time I'd come across that pronunciation (so mid 90s or whenever Schindler's List came out and we all had to admit that we fancied a Nazi) and even now, ever time I say 'Ralph I mean Rafe'.

Thetruthfairy Thu 03-Dec-15 15:12:19

Ralph is lovely. I wouldn't let any of the above comments put you off.
Especially the dog name comments. Loads of dogs I know are called Ben, Lucy, Molly .....

LilyKing0909 Thu 03-Dec-15 16:05:26

I like Ralph!

lilyb84 Thu 03-Dec-15 17:06:38

Feeling quite a lot of love for Ralph which is encouraging!

I think Grover will be relegated to nickname only...

Schmoochypoos Thu 03-Dec-15 17:15:21

Ralph is lovely, I only know Grover from a muppets book we have and I thought it was a bit silly even for a muppet!

Slowjog Thu 03-Dec-15 17:20:32

Like the first. Also Rafe and Wilf

Roomba Thu 03-Dec-15 18:59:34

Grover was a Muppet or something from Sesame Street, wasn't he?

Oh no - it was from Fraggle Rock!

Ralph is quite cute though. But please don't call him Grover.

lljkk Thu 03-Dec-15 19:08:56

They are both dog names. Ralph is especially awfully. It means vomit in American slang.

Oysterbabe Sat 05-Dec-15 16:15:45

I know a Ralph who is 6.
I've never heard it pronounced Rafe. I've often heard it to mean puke.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now