Talk

Advanced search

Mary-Kate

(26 Posts)
bkay19 Wed 02-Dec-15 15:39:11

Can I get some opinions on the name? I did grow up in the Olsen twin era but I feel like they really aren't in the limelight anymore, especially not for the new generation, so the "and Ashley" thing doesn't really bother me but DH said for anyone older, they will always hear "and Ashley"..thoughts?? I adore the name Kate and would use it by itself but I think Mary-Kate just makes it a little different (and I usually really dislike double barrel names

Louise0701 Wed 02-Dec-15 15:43:21

I do think of Mary-Kate and Ashley but, like you say, they are rarely heard of nowadays so chances are your daughter will never know them. I say go for it.
If you check my thread, I'm having a similar problem- We want to call our twins boys Billy & Teddy but are reminded of the film Bill & Ted haha

DPotter Wed 02-Dec-15 15:46:04

It is a pleasant name - if that's not damning it with faint praise.
However I'm older than the Olsen era and I thought 'and Ashley' and one or other of them was in the paper yesterday for something or nothing, so they are still around.
Even if you don't get the Olsen link, it is a very American thing. I'm of the 'Walton's' era so with double barrelled names I always think Jim-Bob, Mary Ellen etc

Havalina1 Wed 02-Dec-15 15:55:43

It's lovely.

My daughter is Mary Sara, I'm biased grin

NadiaWadia Wed 02-Dec-15 16:06:19

It's nice and rather than the Olsens, the first thing I think of is this children's book:

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0571206603?keywords=meet%20mary%20kate&qid=1449072158&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

which is definitely not American. You notice that this version doesn't have the hyphen, but you still say the names together, so you don't have to hyphenate it to get that result. (Not a fan of hyphens).

bkay19 Wed 02-Dec-15 18:01:37

Louise0701 Billy and Teddy are great names! I've actually never even heard of that movie. Go for it as William and Edward are fab names for when they're a bit older also smile

DPotter I know what you are saying about it being an "American" thing which is what puts DH off a bit. We both really dislike the -Mae -Rose trend that is going on but for whatever reasons Mary-Kate just feels a bit different.

Havalina1 so is it not hyphenated? Does she always go by the full name or just Mary?

NadiaWadia my friend mentioned that book also and I agree perhaps we don't need to use the hyphen smile

Donge13 Wed 02-Dec-15 18:44:26

It is lovely

Louise0701 Wed 02-Dec-15 22:10:30

Thank you smile Billy, Teddy and Mary-Kate it is ;) :D ️xxx

stopitcaroline Thu 03-Dec-15 02:17:44

I've always liked Mary Kate, without the hyphen. It sounds very Catholic to me, and I'm not Catholic so I wouldn't use it, but it's very pretty. I think, though, that I'd prefer Mary Katherine nn Mary Kate.

I don't think of Mary Kate and Ashley exclusively. I know other Mary Kate/Cates. But then again, I am American. I know the -Rose -Mae trend is considered tacky in the UK, but Mary Kate feels very traditional to me and thus not tacky at all.

NotMoreFootball Thu 03-Dec-15 02:56:09

I thinks it's lovely, I live in the Southern United States so have met several Mary-Kate's and Mary-Katherine's and always think it's so pretty.
I also know a Mary-Alice which I love too!

squoosh Thu 03-Dec-15 12:49:40

Sounds very Catholic to me too.

SoWhite Thu 03-Dec-15 13:40:40

Olsen. I cannot separate it from Ashley.

BettyBi0 Thu 03-Dec-15 13:42:35

I think it sounds a bit Waltons sorry

Bubbletree4 Thu 03-Dec-15 13:51:29

I like it.
But I do think Olsen and it does sound American to me. Those aren't bad things though, so I'd use it.

Scarydinosaurs Thu 03-Dec-15 13:58:14

I don't associate it with the Olsen twins.

Hersetta427 Fri 04-Dec-15 15:47:33

Too twee and too American for me, but to be honest all hyphenated names make my teeth itch.

CharmingChampignon Sat 05-Dec-15 17:59:30

I loved the books as a child 'Mary Kate and the School Bus' etc - I think it's lovely without the hyphen.

mydogeatsnutstoo Sun 06-Dec-15 12:16:32

I like Mary and I like Kate but really not a fan of double barrelled names - it detracts from the beauty of each name. I would choose one of them and maybe give a longer middle name.

bkay19 Wed 09-Dec-15 13:25:52

thanks for the input everyone smile definitely given us something to think about

Thetruthfairy Wed 09-Dec-15 17:25:57

Could you call her Mary Katherine and use Mary-Kate as her 'pet name/nn' at home? I think Mary is a lovely name x

manicinsomniac Wed 09-Dec-15 22:57:50

I like it but do automatically think Olsen.

Hyphenated names but have been an American thing once but they're a very British thing now. Almost no double barrels in the US stats but loads in ours.

Burgatroyd Thu 10-Dec-15 16:28:24

I like it!

bkay19 Fri 11-Dec-15 16:01:08

DH is pretty set on going for Mary Katherine, having Mary-Kate as a nn but I am still not 100% convinced! I think I prefer Mary-Kate as it is... further discussions to be had I think.

Oysterbabe Sun 13-Dec-15 18:12:25

First thought is Ashley, second is it sounds like a nun.
It is a nice name though.

spring1bee Fri 18-Dec-15 00:33:03

love it. Yes "Ashley" did spring to mind but your DD won't even know who she is! Lovely name

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now