Talk

Advanced search

Naming ds after his Df

(10 Posts)
Wishful80smontage Wed 02-Dec-15 13:05:24

Not as a first name but as middle name
Eg dh is James, ds will be 'Thomas James Wishful' (not actual names!)
Does it come across a bit naff?! Like the whole Jr thing?
We've picked a name we both love for the first name and oh always wanted a 'James jr' but I vetoed it as first name- it works well as middle name.

Natalia25 Wed 02-Dec-15 13:07:27

Having it as a middle name is great, IMO smile

Seeyounearertime Wed 02-Dec-15 13:35:40

Middle name is brilliant.
I worked with a 3rd generation named person and he hated being named after his dad and grandad so a middle name is fab idea.

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Wed 02-Dec-15 14:53:07

No problem here at all. Lots of people do this.

When ds was about 5, he had a friend round to play.

Friend mentioned his big brother, so I asked to be reminded of his name. Kevin. Kevin? I thought your dad was Kevin?
Yes. My dad is Kevin. My brother is Kevin. My granddad is Kevin. And my uncle is Kevin. And my grandads dad is Kevin too...

(Kevin not their real name)

GothJoose Wed 02-Dec-15 15:08:54

If I ever have a boy he'll have DP name as one of his middle names & my grandfather as the second middle name. I think it's nice

squoosh Wed 02-Dec-15 15:18:53

Nice as a middle name. As a first name it seems a bit egotistical. Or unimaginative.

Louise0701 Wed 02-Dec-15 15:41:35

I like it as a middle name. Both our twin boys will be having daddys name as their middle name. I love this tradition smile

OliviaBenson Wed 02-Dec-15 15:44:44

How many children do you have/want? My issue is that my younger sister has my mums name as a middle name and for me as the eldest with no family names I felt rather upset and left out. It didn't help that my sister is favourite (my family have issues) so perhaps I am projecting, but I wanted to give you another point of view as it does cause resentment.

Wishful80smontage Wed 02-Dec-15 20:25:41

We have a dd and won't be having anymore DCs after ds arrives.

Helenluvsrob Wed 02-Dec-15 20:32:50

Fab idea smile

Ours all have family names in various ways. The girls have a " new" name and a family name and ds has names that actually occur in both family trees, which was neat as all as using names we love.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now