Talk

Advanced search

Girls Names need help

(9 Posts)
Elizalou01 Tue 01-Dec-15 20:11:55

We seem to agree on boys names but are struggling with girls names as we just can't choose. I would like something that is a bit different but still classy.

It is a tradition in my family to use the middle name Newling for girls (Don't ask) DH surname is one syllable and quite a common one

Cordelia - this seems to be quite popular on here at the mo
Orlanda - love it but don't know if its too pretentious
Isadora - quite like she could have Izzy or Dora as nn
Marguerite - family name
Dulcie - just like it DH suggestion
Isolde
Thea
Kezia (Kizzy)
Xanthe - love but not sure as surname begins with W and it would be XW not sure why I think that's an issue
Vivienne

LaceyLee Tue 01-Dec-15 20:32:30

Kezia and xanthe are my favourites. Don't think the xw initials are a problem. Don't like dulcie as it begins with 'dull'! And while isadora is nice, it's v similar to Isabel which is mega popular so she would be one of many Issies potentially

ThroughThickAndThin01 Tue 01-Dec-15 20:37:08

I like Dulcie and Kezia/Kizzy.

I love love love Dora.

Suggestions: Constance, Lucia, Margot, Cosima.

SleepyRoo Tue 01-Dec-15 20:58:58

Dulcie is cool

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Tue 01-Dec-15 21:30:36

I only like Vivienne.
Vivienne Newling ........ Has got a lovely ring to it.

CakeRattleandRoll Wed 02-Dec-15 10:51:58

Love Vivienne and Xanthe - both were on my long list.
Also love Isolde if you are going for an "Is" name.
Like Kezia, but prefer Kerenza/Kerensa.
Wondering why you have Thea rather than Theodora - that would also give nn Dora.

megletthesecond Wed 02-Dec-15 10:54:39

Vivienne. Lovely name but with an edge (thinking Westwood).

StDogolphin Wed 02-Dec-15 18:52:39

Love Kezia and Karenza, quite like Vivienne and Vita.

GoldPlatedBacon Thu 03-Dec-15 14:29:23

I have a Xanthe so obviously I think it's fab! However, beware that people seem to struggle to grasp it (otherwise I mumble, but I'm sure I don't). I can almost guarantee when people ask her name and I say 'Zanth-Ee' I will hear repeated back to me 'Zante/Nancy'. I have to repeat her name at least 3 times and it is wearing thin. One lady at the baby group I go to still thinks my dd is called Nancy(!)

I always loved Dulcie growing up and it was a real contender for Dd but annoyingly an acquaintance named her dd Dulcie when I was pregnant so I chose not to use it as our paths will cross.

Orlanda is lovely but I think you'll find you'll have the same problem with Xanthe and have to repeat the name. I expect some people will find it is pretentious but I wouldn't worry. I know some friends/family rolled their eyes at Xanthe - I don't care!!

I'm not a fan of Isadora just because I remember my siblings watching Wizadora growing up so I hear the theme tune whenever I hear that name plus Dora is the explorer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now