Cool sibling name sets

(34 Posts)
HackerFucker22 Mon 30-Nov-15 21:14:55

Met an Isla, Georgina and Norah last week. Took me a while to realise how cool these names were together. They match but not in an overly obvious way.

Any other cool sibling sets?

I know a Hunter and Acer - a bit out there but suits them.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Mon 30-Nov-15 21:17:55

In what way do Isla, Georgina and Norah "match" exactly? Or any other set of names really.
I just don't get this matching names thing.

IoraRua Mon 30-Nov-15 21:32:14

I'm not seeing the matchiness. Unless you mean the name endings?

DramaAlpaca Mon 30-Nov-15 21:38:05

I'm not getting the matching thing either. To me they are very different - Isla is currently very popular, I'd consider Georgina an underused classic and Norah has granny vibes.

SoWhite Mon 30-Nov-15 21:51:28

DD went to school with a Basil, Spike and Jemima.

Sophronia Mon 30-Nov-15 21:58:38

I used to know a Cedar (girl), Ochre (girl) and Jazz (boy)

Seeyounearertime Mon 30-Nov-15 21:59:14

Is it because their initials spell GIN?
Is their last name Tonic? tbgrin

myotherusernameisbetter Tue 01-Dec-15 11:08:01

I know a Lewis and Skye - I wondered if any other siblings has been produced if they'd have Harris, Ailsa, Isla etc.

hobitty Tue 01-Dec-15 11:11:40

Why would you even want 'matching' sibling names..?

KoalaDownUnder Tue 01-Dec-15 11:12:29

I know a Bram and Romy sibset. Which I think sort of match, in a cool way.

SiegeofEnnis Tue 01-Dec-15 11:13:31

Matchy sibling name sets are the naff naming equivalent of people who match their cushion covers to the vases and the feature wall, and buy coffee cups to match their kettle, toaster and chopping board. It also suggests parents who are more interested in presenting a certain dopy image to the world than in the fact that their children aren't a themed set of coasters.

Those are perfectly nice names, OP, but I don't see anything 'matching' about them, which is a good thing. Isla - pleasant enough, very popular. Georgina, safe classic. Norah - to an Irish person of my generation, the ultimate non-chic granny name, suggesting elderly great-aunts with hairy warts who are always trying to get imaginary dirt off your face and giving you ten p. Maybe due an Edith/Violet/Maud/Bertie-style revival?

SoWhite Tue 01-Dec-15 17:01:44

Matchy sibling name sets are the naff naming equivalent...

or, you know, the parents have a distinct taste and all names they considered seem to fit.

Bit of a tangent there!

HackerFucker22 Tue 01-Dec-15 17:08:40

Sorry didn't explain very well.

It's the endings of the names that all sound similar... All ending in the "ah" sound.

So when said together they flow nicely and "match" but not in an obvious way....

ToddlerTantrums Tue 01-Dec-15 22:26:33

My cups, kettle and toaster match off topic

grumpypenguin Fri 18-Dec-15 13:55:52

I see what OP means I think? They aren't amazing names on their own but put them together and they all sound awesome.

Burgatroyd Fri 18-Dec-15 14:56:33

siege completely agree. Children are individuals, hence why one of my kids as a My Little Pony name and the other a 1970's 'sensible' name, according to MN. wink

If I met matchy, matchy sibset I'd assume the family would buy those awful big flower print pictures from Next

Burgatroyd Fri 18-Dec-15 14:58:32

I would feel fenvy if my sister had a nicer name than me though...

BikeRunSki Fri 18-Dec-15 14:58:56

I know a family of Arran, Iona and Islay. Love that set. My siblings and I go A to Z.

WiIdfire Fri 18-Dec-15 15:02:12

BikeSkiRun - how the fuck many siblings do you have?!?!? 25?!?

BikeRunSki Fri 18-Dec-15 17:27:13

Only 4 of us! smile The first is an A. The last was deliberately a Z name.

grumpysquash2 Fri 18-Dec-15 18:46:58

My DD has a set of friends who are Georgina, Lola, Mayah and Flora. I think they would sound good as a sibling set....

Jw35 Sat 19-Dec-15 11:30:41

If I had twin girls I think Hazel and Olive would be cute

grumpypenguin Sat 19-Dec-15 12:44:58

Hazel and Olive are both foods. That would be hideous.

Allthatglitter5 Sat 19-Dec-15 12:48:12

My aunt, uncle and cousins have initials ABCD. (It took me longer than I'd like to admit to have noticed this!)

BikeRunSki Sat 19-Dec-15 13:23:42

that's remindedenof a chap I used to work with. He was the eldest of 6 brothers - they were something like Anthony, Bertram, Charles, David, Edgar and Francis.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now