Talk

Advanced search

Need advice on shortening names

(16 Posts)
LilyKing0909 Sat 28-Nov-15 18:08:09

Okay, so - this isn't the name, but say you have a Rebecca and you want to call her Becky, how are you supposed to get a child to understand their full name is Rebecca and what do you do when they start school? I just like many long names and wonder how that all works

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sat 28-Nov-15 18:19:10

When they start school. You'll obviously fill out a form where you put their full name on and then there is another box that says Known as ...or preferred name. Well there was when my DD went to school
My nephew is Richard on his BC but only known as Richie. However he knows his full name is Richard as his paternal grandsd gives him his full title. Plus he's known as Richard if he is being naughty.

cosytoaster Sat 28-Nov-15 18:26:48

It just sort of happens naturally, I can't remember it being a problem with DS. As pp said, schools ask for known by name.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 28-Nov-15 18:28:15

All mine are called by shortened versions of their names. They just seem to know. It comes up quite early because full names are used at doctors surgeries, schools, passports etc.

On school forms etc I would write their full name when asked but also write "known as Teddy" and underline the name.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 28-Nov-15 18:29:46

....having said that my own DM didnt realise the full name of one of mine until he was about 6 grin

MitzyLeFrouf Sat 28-Nov-15 18:46:31

I saw an interview with the actor Kit Harrington where he said he didn't realise he was actually called Christopher until he was 15!

MitzyLeFrouf Sat 28-Nov-15 18:48:12

That sounds muddled.

He was 15 years old before he found out that his official name was Christopher is what I meant.

SallyStarbuck Sat 28-Nov-15 18:48:59

We use DD's short name about 90% of the time, and her long name about 10% of the time, I guess. She just got it too - especially when she learnt her full name. I never thought of it beforehand, and I don't think it will be a problem.

Sadik Sat 28-Nov-15 18:51:45

I think they just know, somehow confused

Poor DD has a 3 syllable first name, a 3 syllable middle name, and two surnames (born in Spain where you get both parents surnames) one of which is Irish in origin. It took her quite a long time to learn to spell her full name . . . grin

kimlo Sat 28-Nov-15 18:52:58

I sometimes used her full name so she knew what it was, she also knew very young that she didnt like being called it. By the time she started school she was able to tell them that she didnt like it and wouldnt answer to it.

Every year when she goes up a class her peg and draw have her full name on, so they must just go off the register because its a very small school where everybody knows everybody.

SallyStarbuck Sat 28-Nov-15 18:56:51

I worry about that Sadik - DD has 10 syllables through her four names, it's going to take her bloody years to learn to write it all!

Champagneformyrealfriends Sun 29-Nov-15 09:24:26

I always knew. My name is a bit like Elizabeth/Lizzie. Tbf my nana did call me by my full name afaik and never shortened it. My nephew always goes by the shortened version of his name-he is 1 and never responds to his proper name! I think he'll eventually just know from official/formal situations.

GracieGraives Thu 17-Dec-15 04:09:27

I am a teacher and gave never been given a lost with known as names. I go by the register unless parents or child tells me anything different. Although we keep their full name on coat pegs, names on books etc.

I also know a few teachers who will only use full names despite what the child likes to be called! I think that this happens less often now though.

Room101isWhereIUsedToLive Thu 17-Dec-15 04:16:09

My DD is called a name that we hardly ever use in full. Her name is an Italian variation of a somewhat common name which usually gets shortened to a three letter nick name but we use a four letter variation. If other people call her the three letter abbreviation then she will answer to it but if people call her the more well known version of her name then she will correct them.
How does she know? No real idea, she just does.

bittapitta Thu 17-Dec-15 14:38:59

They just know! My 3 year old has a nickname and full name and knows both.

RainWildsGirl Thu 17-Dec-15 14:43:38

we use both so DC know both, but then they also know which one of them is 'pickle' which one is 'doodles' and which one is 'fish'! they also chant their full names with middle and surname for fun at the moment for some reason (aged 3 this is a fave game!)

kids just learn that they can be called different things by different people and at different times.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now