Talk

Advanced search

Avoid bad initials, I was given VD by my parents, its been terrible.

(25 Posts)
Tipper1965 Wed 25-Nov-15 13:48:43

I want to be plain. Dont be stubborn and give a name with vile initials. I was christened VD and I can honsestly say its blighted my life. A name should be a gift not a curse, and to name your child VD for example is cruel and unloving. You may absolutely love a name, and decide to come over all nieve and fluffy about it and think that no one would be cruel or unkind. You will be wrong.

Want2bSupermum Wed 25-Nov-15 13:52:46

Oh no! Our last name has the initials DJ. We have vetoed any names for the DC starting with V and B.

Inognito4nowbutstillme Wed 25-Nov-15 14:01:32

Just name change has worked before I comment as it could out me IRL

OldBeanbagz Wed 25-Nov-15 14:05:12

Poor you. How about changing your name? Or do you like them both individually?

Our DD was going to be ET but we decided against it at the last minute. I'm so glad i did.

Inognito4nowbutstillme Wed 25-Nov-15 14:05:04

Okay it worked. I very much agree with you.
My surname is O'Brien so I have to avoid anything beginning with N which would give the initials Nob.
Which is a PITA. Because there are so many gorgeous names beginning with N.. Arrrrrrggggggghhhhhhangry.
Anyway off to change my name back.

Tipper1965 Wed 25-Nov-15 14:13:52

Oh of course I changed my name as soon as soon as I could, 30 yrs ago infact. But you never escape it. There's always family members to bring it up, not to mention school bullies who even at 50 years old are happy to shout it over in public.

SpanglesGalloway Thu 26-Nov-15 08:37:29

My initials before marriage were MSC not bad. Master of science? I wish.
Due dc1 in 7 weeks will be either ADM or AWM depending if boy or girl. I can't think of any negative links with those....

DeepBlueLake Thu 26-Nov-15 09:29:51

My initials are GAL grin

DSs have random letters, we didn't even think about initials.

SoWhite Thu 26-Nov-15 10:11:19

I think this is my favourite bad name/initial instance of all time.

starkers1 Thu 26-Nov-15 10:22:15

No idea what VD even stands for, think you are over reacting

SpanglesGalloway Thu 26-Nov-15 10:26:20

sowhite I'm Peeing my pants laughing at that!!! Oh no!!! We also need to consider potential university/work email addresses alongside initials haha

SoWhite Thu 26-Nov-15 10:46:11

grin

chantico Thu 26-Nov-15 10:50:20

VD is venereal disease. Not the preferred term in UK (NHS says sexually tramsmitted infection/disease STI or STD) but still very much in use in USA (heard it on TBBT not so long ago) so yes one to swerve.

YouMakeMyDreams Thu 26-Nov-15 10:52:11

Exsil gave her ds the initials BJ did ask her if she had realised and she said yes but nobody will notice. hmm oh they will and kids can be cruel. VD is an unfortunate set of initials did they realise and think nobody would comment or just not think about it.

Floggingmolly Thu 26-Nov-15 10:55:49

There's a nursery close to our house, called something fairly innocuous like Caterpillars. But it's part of a group called "VD Nurseries and pre-schools".
That should never have gotten off the drawing board...

Tipper1965 Thu 26-Nov-15 13:01:18

Chantico,
Yes they did know. Dad pointed the problem out to Mum but she was insistant. I was first made aware of it by a teacher in juniors. Came home and asked what VD was and got a massive rollocking off Dad for bringing it up and further rollocking off Mum for putting Dad into a rage. All a bit sad really.
Its not something ive posted on before, but I cant bear the idea of a kid going through the same.

Pedestriana Thu 26-Nov-15 13:05:16

A friend of mine's mother had a first name beginning with V. When she got married she took a 'D' surname. From then on she was always known as 'B' and not 'V'.

atticusclaw2 Thu 26-Nov-15 13:05:13

We mistakenly gave DS2 (inclined to be naughty) the initials BAD.

Having said that it will be cool if ever he becomes an evil genius.

vickibee Thu 26-Nov-15 13:10:40

I too was VD before I got married, now I am thankfully VH. It was embarrasiing at work when memo are circulated with your intitials to tick when you have read it. I was teased at school and it was infact my nickname at 2ndry school. I am 47 now and have awful memoories of it

BoxofSnails Thu 26-Nov-15 13:21:07

Poor you - that your parents made YOU feel bad for asking. Do you have a middle name?
My MIL confided she would have liked to give SIL the initials LEP, but that would have been awful, so her middle name begins with A. I have puzzled, over the years, why this is so much better???confused

LizzieMacQueen Thu 26-Nov-15 13:20:55

youmakemydreams

My nephew is also a BJ.

EssentialHummus Thu 26-Nov-15 13:25:05

I'm SS, and we're Jewish... thanks parents.

Tipper1965 Thu 26-Nov-15 13:54:51

Vickibee
Im glad you've replied. I was getting worried that I was just looking neurotic.
Im so sorry that you went through it too.
My nickname was Scabby C-nt, must have taken it badly when 1st mentioned as it took off a treat.
Scabs for short....nice x

megletthesecond Thu 26-Nov-15 13:59:02

One of DS's friends is called BJ. That's what his parents call him shock. When ds and his mates are old enough to twig what it means, probably a couple of years max, he'll get no end of jokes. (I'm already geared up to have a word with ds about what it means and to not tease his mate).

vickibee Thu 26-Nov-15 14:23:16

my mum did not realise til i was five and came home from school with a caly pot with my initials carved in the base, she said her heart sank when she realised waht she had done. It didnt really become a big issue until I went to big school but it has bllighted my life a little. for exmple I was a techer for a while and they could harly call my tutor group 7VD? the kids cottoned on to this and wasn't very nice, don't even have a middle name.
sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now