Talk

Advanced search

Deniz?

(23 Posts)
ulasesra Mon 23-Nov-15 12:29:18

Hi all

I have a 2 year old boy, his name is Deniz. We are a Turkish family moving to UK next month. I think it's close to Dennis which is a known name in UK but I'm not sure if you think it's a cool name or out of fashion or... I don't know smile Anyway that's his name and I'm just curious smile can you tell me what do you think?

Thanks! smile

Costacoffeeplease Mon 23-Nov-15 12:46:00

Dennis is quite old fashioned, but as it's Deniz and Turkish it's fine

Hellochicken Mon 23-Nov-15 12:54:16

How Deniz is pronounced?
I just wanted to say I like the name Dennis. It is a bit old fashioned (but older names are making a return) it was also the name of a comic book character which I used to read in the 80s. I think there is a modern cartoon of this same character so it is a well known name amongst children.

ulasesra Mon 23-Nov-15 12:56:28

He has two names actually: Alp Deniz. though we call him Deniz only. Alp means "brave" and Deniz means "sea".

FellOutOfBedTwice Mon 23-Nov-15 12:58:57

I'm a teacher in a school in a really multi cultural part of London and there are all kinds of names there- I love hearing names I've never heard before and have never known anyone have their name made fun of or be mispronounced too much after the first few goes!

KoalaDownUnder Mon 23-Nov-15 12:59:11

I think it's cool.

BertrandRussell Mon 23-Nov-15 13:00:18

Dennis is very old fashioned indeed in England and hasn't had a revival yet- not many Dennis's under 60 I'd say. But loads of kids have non English names- I can't see it being any sort of problem. The English are great name shortened though so he'll probably be Den or Denny pretty soon!

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Mon 23-Nov-15 13:01:34

I think it's nice.
Also can take this opportunity to pre welcome you to the UK. Hope you'll be very happy here.

Sophronia Mon 23-Nov-15 13:04:48

I like Deniz smile

ulasesra Mon 23-Nov-15 13:05:23

thanks Hellochicken, I think it's pronunciation is pretty same as Denis/Dennis, but with a z sound at the end. Something like Deh-NIY-Z..

ulasesra Mon 23-Nov-15 13:08:43

thank you so much Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost smile
BertrandRussell - Den sounds great smile Thanks smile

PinkSquash Mon 23-Nov-15 13:11:52

I come from an area of London with a large Turkish community and Deniz was a fairly common name among all ages, no one batted an eyelid at all. flowers

sidonie1 Mon 23-Nov-15 14:26:05

It's lovely. Unusual but cool and easy to pronounce. Hope you settle in really well!

swisscheesetony Mon 23-Nov-15 14:29:37

There was a (Turkish) female deniz at my school - we pronounced it more Denise (forgive us!).

squeaver Mon 23-Nov-15 14:29:28

You and your son need to check out The Beano comic as soon as you get here.

He'll be fine with that name.

squeaver Mon 23-Nov-15 14:30:22

Actually, at 2, he's probably too young.... but in a few years.

ulasesra Mon 23-Nov-15 21:27:53

Thank you all, for your commemts smile

SoWhite Mon 23-Nov-15 21:34:01

I think it will work very well for your son, growing up in the UK smile

BitOutOfPractice Mon 23-Nov-15 21:34:10

I think it's lovely. And if he starts school here all the other kids will just accept it and not find it unusual if you see what I mean.

Welcome to the uk. Hope you settle in really happily

TonyMacaroni Mon 23-Nov-15 21:53:03

It's fine - lots of different names at our school.

Names like Dennis which are a little bit old fashioned are making a comeback, Denny is a nice nickname.

No one will bat an eyelid I wouldn't have thought anyway.

Iusedtobecarmen Mon 23-Nov-15 22:03:03

Hi
I visit Turkey frequently on holiday
I am familiar with the name Deniz! And know it means the sea.
I thinks it's a cool name and very different from our English Dennis,even though it sounds similar.
I have a Turkish name for one of my children -Cem.

manicinsomniac Mon 23-Nov-15 22:56:47

I know a 6 year old Deniz (pronounced pretty much like Denise but with more of an eez on the end).

His mum is White British and single but I'm guessing her ex is Turkish because he has 6 brothers all with Turkish sounding names.

I'm not overly keen because I don't like Denise much but I think it's fine and that people in most Urban areas will know it.

ulasesra Tue 24-Nov-15 06:28:44

thanks Iusedtobecarmen, Cem is a very nice name, I have a few good friends called Cem smile Do you have any Turkish relatives, is this why you picked a Turkish name?

manicinsomniac, I felt sorry for that mum, being single with 7 sons and a Turkish ex! smile must be tiresome...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now