Talk

Advanced search

Giving a 'boys' name as a middle name for a girl?

(71 Posts)
FrancoisLaPrune Sat 21-Nov-15 20:21:13

I'm looking for some opinions on using the name Roy as a middle name for my DD who is due in March. Roy is my father's middle name and was my grandfather's first name and I'd like to carry on the tradition but not to the detriment of my DD!!

I'm thinking something along the lines of:

Louisa Roy L......
Evie Roy L.....
Georgia Roy L....
Sydney Roy L....

I've looked for girls names that start with Roy like Roya but I don't really like them!! I love the sound of Roy but not sure if it's off for a girl.

I'd love to hear some honest opinions smile

leoniethelioness Sat 21-Nov-15 20:22:42

I think I'd use it as a second middle name rather than the only one.

FlipperDipper Sat 21-Nov-15 20:24:00

Oh no, I think it's awful - sorry. sad

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Sat 21-Nov-15 20:25:16

I say no, sorry.

IoraRua Sat 21-Nov-15 20:26:58

Sure, why not. It's only a middle name, it's not like she'll use it all the time. Personally I much prefer middle names to have some family link anyway.

Adarajames Sat 21-Nov-15 20:27:11

Loads of people (usually rich though!) use opposite gender second names for kids o follow family traditions. As long as you let her decide if it when to use it, not untroubled w her or register her at school with it stated, Id not have a problem doing that

FrancoisLaPrune Sat 21-Nov-15 20:29:29

Hmmm mixed bag of responses so far! Still undecided, DH is indifferent!

allwineismine Sat 21-Nov-15 20:30:59

It sounds better than I thought it would. And miles better than all the <first name> May/Mae which means absolutely nothing. As PP said, as long as your DD has a choice whether to use/not use the name, why not?

FuzzyWizard Sat 21-Nov-15 20:32:12

I suppose Reine is the female equivalent?

I think it's fine as it is though. I wouldn't use it with Sydney but like it with Louisa

myotherusernameisbetter Sat 21-Nov-15 20:32:40

Roy can also be a surname and it's quite common to use surnames as middle names regardless of gender.

I'd also consider though whether this is likely to be your only or last child as you may wish to keep it for a possible future son.

Two of your first name choices are either male or derived from a male name too so I'd be careful of that combination as it may look to your daughter, when she is older, as if you wanted a boy rather than a girl.

FrancoisLaPrune Sat 21-Nov-15 20:35:02

Good point myotherusername I was convinced she was a boy but the scan so proved otherwise so maybe that explains the male type names I'm leaning toward!!

SoWhite Sat 21-Nov-15 20:35:39

I think its fine. My best friend has her mum's maiden name (which is also a male first name) as a middle name. It is sweet, and nobody has ever batted an eyelid.

starlight2007 Sat 21-Nov-15 20:37:24

I know someone who has a DD called Roya...No idea of spelling don't know her that well might that be an option?

FrancoisLaPrune Sat 21-Nov-15 20:37:49

My MIL has the same sowhite I think her name is lovely. I'm feeling less odd for thinking of using it now!

mrsmugoo Sat 21-Nov-15 20:39:28

With Roy I think you can just about get away with it. Not if it was Dave or frank or something!

Chillyegg Sat 21-Nov-15 20:41:10

I kinda like it but don't like any of your first names I do like the mix of a boy and girls name though.
Sienna Roy
Scarlet Roy
Dilara Roy
Is what I'd put with it
Or you could wait and see if you have a boy

myotherusernameisbetter Sat 21-Nov-15 20:41:04

What about Ray? - I used to know a female Ray as in doh ray me rather than as in short for Raymond.

Wishful80smontage Sat 21-Nov-15 20:43:34

I really like your first name choices- and dont actually mind the roy in the middle but of not I'd find a name with the same meaning as around.

WhispersOfWickedness Sat 21-Nov-15 20:46:22

Please don't.

I have a unisex name as a second middle name and absolutely hate it. It doesn't help that the male version of it brings to mind balding pot-bellied men in string vests!

Luckily I have a first middle name, so only ever use that if I can get away with it, most people don't know about the second one.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sat 21-Nov-15 20:47:47

Not Roy but how about Roya. I know you don't like it but if its just as a mn and to honor your granddad. Then its certainly worth considering.

MovemberSucks Sat 21-Nov-15 20:51:07

I have a boy's middle name, it was a family surname. I don't mind it, and tbh hardly anyone ever uses a middle name so nobody really knows.

originalmavis Sat 21-Nov-15 20:54:51

I knew a woman whose middle name was Stephen. She chose it herself (not quite sure but is it a cathoic thing to choose a saints name at confirmation?).

TrinityForce Sat 21-Nov-15 20:55:42

Roya sounds great! Nice suggestion, what do you think of it OP?

Knitella Sat 21-Nov-15 21:01:12

I think it's fine - I would assume it was a family surname.

I googled the meaning - "King" - so an alternative could be to go for a female name such as Regina, Gina etc which mean Queen.

Focusfocus Sat 21-Nov-15 21:01:21

The only one example I know is Meg John Barker. They are an academic who identify as of neither or both genders and are a part of the UK bisexual activist and academic community. In their case Meg John are conscious choices representing female and male aspects by choice in the name.

Cannot think of anyone else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now