Talk

Advanced search

Arthur... in Scotland

(22 Posts)
Whatsinaname2011 Fri 20-Nov-15 22:23:13

We have 2 sons, Henry and James

Expecting 3rd son shortly and our favourite names are George and Arthur.

Arthur is 41 in England so relatively common, not too "out there" but worried that in Scotland it's 133 so not sure it's made enough of a "come back"

Will Arthur be teases mercilessly by his Scottish peers? (private school, nice area does this matter??)

It's so hard naming a human!! Such a responsibility...

SymbollocksInteractionism Fri 20-Nov-15 22:26:15

I like it, might get shortened to Art though which is cute I think.

HarrysMummy17 Fri 20-Nov-15 22:35:56

There are 2 Arthur's in the Scottish village I live in. Both under 3

MrsBalustradeLanyard Fri 20-Nov-15 22:39:13

I've never met a baby Arthur in Scotland! Not that I'm saying that's a bad thing. Prefer Atholl, myself though. Or Alban.

irishe Fri 20-Nov-15 22:46:14

I know a 4 year old Arthur in Edinburgh. Never thought anything of it and have never heard any negative comments made about it. If you like it, go for it!

Ipushedmygrannyaffabus Sat 21-Nov-15 01:18:37

I,ve known a few Arthur's in scotland - all of which were named after their fathers. I don't think they'd get teased, as there are plenty of Alfie and Archie's, which would also have been "old man" names when we were hunger.

I think it's always going to be 'posh' rather than 'cool' mind you.

Ipushedmygrannyaffabus Sat 21-Nov-15 01:18:53

Hunger? I meant younger!!

Whatsinaname2011 Sat 21-Nov-15 04:31:43

Thank you for all your insightful comments

Sleepybunny Sat 21-Nov-15 04:39:16

I love it, and I'm in scotland. Yes plenty of Archie's etc around, so I don't think it's too 'out there'or posh.

Whatsinaname2011 Sat 21-Nov-15 20:56:42

Out of interest would you vote George or Arthur to go with that sibling set?

I prefer George but worry it's then a bit too "Thomas the tank engine" sounding.

twinjocks Sat 21-Nov-15 22:08:28

Lovely name, and will sound fab in a Scottish accent with all those rolling Rs!!!

squoosh Sat 21-Nov-15 22:46:06

I can't see it raising too many eyebrows. There are lots of young Gordons and Hectors here, Arthur doesn't seem too far removed from that.

LetsSplashMummy Tue 24-Nov-15 15:33:12

I know a couple of Arthur's in Scotland, it isn't a name that draws comment and not too different in popularity from Henry, is it? Perhaps there are different spellings in Scotland - Artair is the Gaelic - so you would need to group them in to see real popularity. I think Arthur is much better than George with the siblings, George is too much a "set," Royals or Tank Engines!

marmiteontoast76 Tue 24-Nov-15 16:22:40

I think Arthur flows better with your other ds names, however I think George is a nicer name. I can see why this is hard for you.

Henry, James and George is fine though. Wouldn't worry about sounding like a set of trains, most of the young boys in our family have Thomas type names - Edward, Thomas, James, Henry etc, and no-one ever comments when they are all together.

marmiteontoast76 Tue 24-Nov-15 16:25:42

....anyway, George is a steam roller and I think there is a train called Arthur!?!

AngelsWithFilthySouls Tue 24-Nov-15 16:53:43

Hmm, I think it would be area dependent. I don't know of any but then despite being professionals I'd struggle to class myself or any friends as posh and I would definitely see that as a 'posh' sib-set grin

It's mainly Jacks and Noahs at groups/nursery

Whatsinaname2011 Sun 29-Nov-15 07:04:58

I agree totally with PP who said George is a nicer name but Henry James and George sounds a bit...of a set of royals/trains.

It's hard. We are moving soon so area will be around dollar school or ardvreck for juniors and then dollar or glenalmomd or Strathallan for senior.

We are now wondering about Edward. But I think I prefer Arthur. Goodness it's hard to name a baby!! It's so....permenant!

villainousbroodmare Sun 29-Nov-15 07:19:11

I much prefer Arthur.
It will sound gorrrrrgeous in a Scottish accent.

Whatsinaname2011 Sun 29-Nov-15 12:44:10

It will won't it! The lovely rolling r!

serin Mon 30-Nov-15 16:29:24

Arthur ? Mac (Something).

Wow, Yes that sounds great.

magpie17 Mon 30-Nov-15 17:16:47

I'm in Scotland and know a baby Arthur (about six months old), I love the name! My DS has a bit of a love/hate name so you have to be confident in your choice because people might not like it.

magpie17 Mon 30-Nov-15 17:18:17

George, Henry and James together is FAR too Thomas the tank engine!! Arthur is much nicer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now