Talk

Advanced search

Maisie/Maisy?

(24 Posts)
BeautifulStars93 Thu 19-Nov-15 19:38:21

Dd1 is Isabelle and dd2 Eliza.
We love Daisy but feel it's too popular so Maisie is a good option for us.
Is the traditional/correct spelling Y or IE? & what do you think of the name?

HoneyLeaf Thu 19-Nov-15 19:38:59

I would say Maisie and I like it smile

MaisieDotes Thu 19-Nov-15 19:39:50

Hell yeah grin

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 19-Nov-15 19:40:35

Maisie

Love it.

villainousbroodmare Thu 19-Nov-15 19:43:58

I think it's a cute nickname.
It seems to me that the older two girls have elegant names which will carry them through life, while for the youngest you are considering the name of a bunny or kitten.

Sunshine511 Thu 19-Nov-15 19:44:21

Maisie is the spelling which looks more familiar to me x

BeautifulStars93 Thu 19-Nov-15 19:46:37

Villainousbroodmare -
Funny you say that as we have said the same. We feel because she's our last we're giving her a cutsie name too keep her young.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 19-Nov-15 19:47:30

Eliza..Smith
Maisie...Smith

Really villain why is Eliza an elegant name and Maisie not???

They...are...syllables!!

My mind boggles.

villainousbroodmare Thu 19-Nov-15 19:49:09

I do think it's sweet but I'd prefer it as a nn. Any other thoughts?

wonderpants Thu 19-Nov-15 19:51:00

Definitely Maisie!

I know an old lady called Maisie and I love it!

Maisy is a mouse!

jamesdeandaydream Thu 19-Nov-15 19:52:41

I have a Maisie smile

My grandmother was also Maisie and she was a very strict and serious woman - definitely not cutesy but the name suited her very well!

IoraRua Thu 19-Nov-15 19:56:34

The vast majority of people would probably agree that Charlotte is more elegant than Tyffanie-Blu. They might be just syllables, but names do portray an image.

I really would not go with Maisie/Daisy. Particularly not when you have older girls with names that have a bit more....gravitas. Aside from anything else, I don't think they go together.

Daisy, if you must.

daisydalrymple Thu 19-Nov-15 20:03:17

If it's the name you love, go for it.

villainousbroodmare Thu 19-Nov-15 20:03:24

Thicknthin, logically speaking, what is any word or name but syllables? Yet words and names do have associations and "feels" to them; it's the difference between prose and poetry, it's what makes a great novel or perfect, balanced lyrics to a song. It's personal - which is why there are such differences of opinion here - but it's real - which is why people ask the opinions of internet strangers in the first place.

To me, Eliza and Isabelle are poetry, and Maisie is prose. It reminds me of Mrs Tiggywinkle, the hedgehog washerwoman in Beatrix Potter's books, actually. Eliza reminds me of something like a swan's neck or an arum lily. Isabelle is the sound of a fountain or light through lace.

Only my opinion. OPs will choose and it'll be lovely anyway as the child will make her own of the name.

BeautifulStars93 Thu 19-Nov-15 20:17:25

We would likely call her May for short after my Great Grandma.
Daisy which we love I feel is very cutesy but when I imagine a Maisie I imagine an old lady rather than a baby.
Other names we like are Evelyn Matilda Daisy Alice but none wow us apart from Daisy

celtictoast Thu 19-Nov-15 20:18:32

Maisie.

I also like Daisy and Evelyn, but find Alice and Matilda a bit stuffy.

villainousbroodmare Thu 19-Nov-15 20:23:24

I'd prefer May to Maisie.
Out of the rest, maybe Matilda or Alice.

Guadalupe Thu 19-Nov-15 20:27:21

I think it's usually Maisie rather than Maisy isn't it? It's a shortening of Margaret derived from the greek Margarites meaning Pearl or child of light. I remember looking it up for a friend who was wondering about the spelling.

I like it. I think I prefer May though.

Paddingtonthebear Thu 19-Nov-15 20:36:09

It's very very popular, inside top 50 names, if that bothers you or not. There are lots of babies and teenage girls around this way called Maisie, Ava, Ruby, Lily etc.

ktmummy1 Thu 19-Nov-15 20:46:44

Maisie is on all the personalised baubles/stationary etc in the shops so I'm guessing this is the most known spelling

GothJoose Thu 19-Nov-15 22:19:09

I know two Maisie's but I prefer the spelling Maisy. I think Daisy is the better name though!

DramaAlpaca Fri 20-Nov-15 01:14:01

Maisie for spelling. Since you are asking for opinions, I think it's very cutesy & doesn't really 'fit' with Isabelle & Eliza.

You say you love Daisy, so how about Margaret or Marguerite, nn Daisy? Fits with your other names, but you get to use a name you love. In any case, I think Daisy is much nicer than Maisie & much less cutesy.

Raeray Fri 20-Nov-15 01:35:44

How about Josie? Similar sounding to Maisie/Daisy so maybe another to consider?

ExBallerina Fri 20-Nov-15 01:49:43

Maisie. Lovely name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now