Talk

Advanced search

Boys' names - Emmett or...?

(14 Posts)
5hell Thu 19-Nov-15 10:28:10

So we're apparently having a boy, we've got a fair way to go (I'm 21w) but thought I'd gather views on our current top boys names. I like them all, but I dont love any of them. For context or surname starts with an S and is nothing exotic.

Emmett
Ezra
Abel/Abraham/Abe
Beckett

Any attrocious nn's I'm missing, or other suggestions?
(if it turns out to be a girl, I LOVE Penelope)

TiffanyAtBreakfast Thu 19-Nov-15 10:58:13

Emmett - not sure
Ezra - like this a lot
Abel/Abraham/Abe - strongly dislike, sorry sad
Beckett - love!

Although if you go for Beckett, maybe avoid giving him a J middle name... (BJS)

Robertaquimby Thu 19-Nov-15 11:02:11

Emmett is nice but makes me think of Emmett Till.

I like Abe.

How about Elias?

Bellejournee Thu 19-Nov-15 11:02:27

Love all your choices expect Abraham.

How about Ansel, Elias?

MyNewBearTotoro Thu 19-Nov-15 11:03:21

I love Ezra.

Emmett is okay and I quite like Abel but I don't like Abe as a nickname which puts me off.

Not keen on Beckett, sorry. Sounds like a surname and too much like bucket.

UntilTheCowsComeHome Thu 19-Nov-15 11:20:25

Ezra is by far the best.

Emmett is awful. Makes me think of the character from Keeping up appearances. It's a 'wet' name IMO.

Beckett. Hmm on the fence with this one. I love surname names for boys but think it'll be shortened to Becks as he gets older and that's too much like Beckham.

TillyTolly Thu 19-Nov-15 11:26:02

Emmett seems a tad 'Twilight' fad but there are so many Ezras IRL around here (South London) that I think the former may have the edge if you're after something a bit different.

My preference would be for Abraham/Abe. Beckett seems too surnameish to me, but I think it's one of the best of the surname names I've heard!

Sophronia Thu 19-Nov-15 11:28:35

I like Ezra the best. How about Asa?

celtictoast Thu 19-Nov-15 12:34:54

I like Abel, Abraham/Abe and Ezra, particularly Abel.

RiverTam Thu 19-Nov-15 12:36:40

I love Ezra.

Ellwood?

Tirfarthoin Thu 19-Nov-15 12:40:29

Emmett is slang for tourist in Cornwall, it's also a type of ant I think. Probably different spellings though

molyholy Thu 19-Nov-15 12:47:01

Yes to PP who said Emmett makes them think of Keeping Up Appearances. I know what you mean about it being a 'wet' name.

5hell Thu 19-Nov-15 13:01:53

ooh thanks for all the feedback!

Emmett is DHs current fave, but I know what you mean about it being a little 'wet' and I dont think I like the inevitable shortenings.

I wondered if Beckett was a little too trendy/try hard for us, but do like Beck as a nn.

Re Elias/Ansel/Asa, trying to avoid S's as I have an unfounded fear of the poor child having a lisp and being unable to say any part of his name well (S surname)

Will run Ellwood past DH smile

DH adored Abe for ages, but I dont like the sound of single syllable names with our surname (nn aside) so was looking for a nice longer name that could be shortened to Abe if we like, hence Abraham etc.

Oh the responsibility!!!! confused

IoraRua Thu 19-Nov-15 20:02:16

Emmett is gorgeous.
Ezra also gorgeous.
Abel,meh.
Abraham is better but I'm not really keen.
Beckett - like the writer? Nah.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now