Talk

Advanced search

Poppy, Lily, Iris, Marigold

(29 Posts)
lawrencecostin Tue 17-Nov-15 09:51:57

Hi
I was thinking of suggesting these names as possibilities to my partner. I'm not sure about doing it as I'm not the one giving birth to the baby.

What do you people think of these names, and what i should do?

Isaiaheva Tue 17-Nov-15 09:53:01

Marigold, seriously, you want to name your child after a pair of rubber gloves?

Katiekatiekatie Tue 17-Nov-15 10:00:02

I named my dd one of these names and actually regret it I wish I'd gone for something more classic. She's not flowery at all, she's studious & serious.
Why shouldyou not have input as you're not the one giving birth? Will you be an equal parent?

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Tue 17-Nov-15 10:01:44

Poppy

crispytruffle Tue 17-Nov-15 10:04:43

Poppy and Lily are very very popular. I love Marigold and Iris. Lovely. Of course you can have an input in the name?!?!?!

strawberryblondebint Tue 17-Nov-15 10:05:41

My granny and her sisters were all names after flowers. She is iris, her twin is rose and the sisters are violet, lily and auntie pan (pansy). I love violet

celtictoast Tue 17-Nov-15 10:08:16

I like them all except Iris.

MrsCaecilius Tue 17-Nov-15 10:25:39

Love Iris. (My great-granny was an Iris). Marigold = rubber gloves and Lily and Poppy are too popular at the moment.

As long as you are going to parent equally, of course you have a say!

crispytruffle Tue 17-Nov-15 12:06:40

Marigold (I love) = Downton Abbey to me not rubber gloves. grin
What about Primrose?

Sophronia Tue 17-Nov-15 12:30:25

Iris and Marigold are lovely. Not so keen on Poppy and Lily.

CelestiaLuna Tue 17-Nov-15 12:57:48

Love the name Marigold but for most it will forever been associated with the gloves.

Not fussed on the others, but no name will be universally liked.

moreshitandnofuckingredemption Tue 17-Nov-15 13:00:47

Hyacinth?

RiverTam Tue 17-Nov-15 13:05:31

Iris

Mummamayhem Tue 17-Nov-15 13:06:35

Really like Poppy, iris is nice enough.

How about Rose or Ivy to continue the flower theme?

IoraRua Tue 17-Nov-15 13:23:34

Lily - no, too many of them.
Haven't met a Poppy but apparently it's popular.
Marigold - mum in a Jacqueline Wilson book, or gloves. No. Hate it.
Iris - nice but I think this is a name everyone will go for as something different, have seen the same with Stella for example. The best of the bunch imo.

CakeRattleandRoll Tue 17-Nov-15 13:29:39

Iris is my favourite. What about Tansy?

Your partner will probably want you to make some suggestions. I had to nag mine for nearly the whole pregnancy to give some ideas of his own, rather than just vetoing all of mine!

PurpleThermalsNowItsWinter Tue 17-Nov-15 13:30:23

Iris, Lily and Poppy are all lovely. So are Violet (Viola?), Rose (Rosa?) but not Marigold.

ashesandfire Tue 17-Nov-15 14:56:01

I love Iris.
Marigold is a no for me. Lily is pretty, if popular. I find Poppy a bit cutesy.

LauraChant Tue 17-Nov-15 15:00:31

I like them all in the order: Iris, Lily, Poppy, Marigold.

I'm reminded of that picture: Carnation, Lily, Lily, Rose - and Mrs Ruggles who wanted to name her first child after it but was persuaded to drop the Carnation. That's the second time a thread has reminded me of that book this week...but the other one was eating on a train.

longestlurkerever Tue 17-Nov-15 15:00:37

Yes definitely suggest. It's beyond frustrating just to have your suggestions rubbished with no alternatives proferred. Even if your dp hates your choices you can have a discussion and hopefully find some common ground

MitzyLeFrouf Tue 17-Nov-15 16:08:20

Iris. Such an elegant name.

Lily is nice but far too common and Poppy and Marigold are just too twee.

I'm sure your partner would much rather you take and interest than have to nag you for input!

Parpaltunnel Thu 19-Nov-15 11:45:46

I love it when my husband suggests names. It helps me to know he's thinking about the baby without me. Definitely suggest - all your partner can do is not like them as much as you do.

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Thu 19-Nov-15 11:54:04

Flower names are lovely. I like all the ones you've mentioned. If you would also stretch to tree names, other suggestions are:

Daisy, Tansy, May, Rowan, Hazel, Heather, Lilac, Primrose, Primula, Jasmine, Viola, Violet, Rose, Rosa, Rosemary, Laurel

Montsti Thu 19-Nov-15 19:13:29

Love Poppy but not keen on any of the others. The only other flower name I like is Daisy...

bobsalong Fri 20-Nov-15 16:34:02

Primula- cheese to me!

I love the name Marigold and want to use it if we have another DD.

Poppy and Lily seem so, so overused at the moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now