Talk

Advanced search

Opinion on girls name please.

(24 Posts)
summerrose2589 Mon 16-Nov-15 09:26:20

Hello,

Last night I was thinking through my list of names and remembered a name I'd heard before. It was a name mentioned by someone else who had it on her short list, I am no longer in contact with this person.

My dilemma is the spelling, which version do you prefer:
- Alyssia
- Elyssia

I don't like the spelling Alicia, as I am pronouncing it Al-liss-ee-ah.
I also think it could be lovely with the potential nickname of Lissie.
Just wondering if you could all give me your opinion on the name and which spelling you prefer.

Thank you.

BertrandRussell Mon 16-Nov-15 09:33:29

I would go for Alicia- that's how the name you are sounding out is traditionally spelled. Lovely name. My aunt Alicia was always known as Liss, which it think is lovely.

Sunshine511 Mon 16-Nov-15 09:34:12

I think this is a beautiful name! I prefer the spelling Elyssia but only marginally. Something I should mention is, I have a friend called Elissa, which to me is a very straight forward name. I used to work with her and everyone always said her name wrong. Even after them being corrected. She'd get Elyssia. Alesha etc. I know it used to drive her mad and I felt that it was just ignorance by the people who were constantly saying it wrong because it's really not that hard. Don't like to give negative feedback, especially on a name I like, but thought I should mention x

celtictoast Mon 16-Nov-15 09:43:25

Alyssia

summerrose2589 Mon 16-Nov-15 09:47:47

BertrandRussell
The reason for not liking the Alicia spelling is because from past experience Alicia is pronounced A-LEE-SHA rather than A-LISS-EE-AH.

BertrandRussell Mon 16-Nov-15 09:49:45

Elyssia will be mis spelled every time. People will make mistakes putting her in alphabetical order- her peg will be in the wrong place, there will never be a "named" mug with her name on.........

Sunshine511 Mon 16-Nov-15 09:49:32

I previously wrote that I prefer it spelt with an E but having thought more, I think an A would be better from a pronunciation point of view smile

whatdoIget Mon 16-Nov-15 09:53:36

I don't think Alicia is pronounced a lee Sha. It's meant to be pronounced al iss ee a.
You're much more likely to get the pronouncuation you don't want with one of your suggested spellings imo

TurquoiseCat Mon 16-Nov-15 10:05:53

I know an Alyssia nn Lissie.

I would say that if you want the nn Lissie, you're better off with the A spelling - I would've thought that Elyssia would generally be shortened to Ellie.

WRT Alicia, I would've thought most people would pronounce it A-Lee-Shah (like Alicia Keys).

Raines100 Mon 16-Nov-15 10:31:34

I agree, not Alicia. I understood Alicia was either pronounced 'Al-ee-sha' like Alicia Dixon, Keyes, etc, or Al-ee-see-uh. I've never heard of it pronounced A-liss-see-uh.

I familiar with Alyssa (Al-liss-uh), so I would probably assume your (lovely) version was a variant of this and spell it with an A. That said, I like Elyssia because it looks like a derivative of Elysium, which was a sort of Heaven in Greek mythology. In my more hormonal moments of pregnancy, I did vaguely consider Elysée for DD hmm

ashesandfire Mon 16-Nov-15 11:51:07

I would pn Alicia as al-iss-ee-ah and prefer that spelling.
I would go with that spelling, or Alyssia.

GothJoose Mon 16-Nov-15 14:53:28

I knew two Alicia growing up - both pronounced it A-Lee-shuh

I prefer Alyssia spelling (although I think Alyssa is better and can have the same nn of Lissie)

IoraRua Mon 16-Nov-15 14:59:50

Alyssia.

Alessandra is similar?

summerrose2589 Mon 16-Nov-15 23:13:13

Thank you everybody so far for all your replies. So far I am leaning towards the spelling Alyssia.
Just another quick question if you all don't mind....... do you prefer Alyssia or my other top favourite Matilda?

Thanks.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Mon 16-Nov-15 23:40:21

Well if you're pronouncing it. Alyssia. Spell it with the A rather then E.
I much prefer Alyssia over Matilda

celtictoast Mon 16-Nov-15 23:57:04

Definitely Alyssia. Not a fan of Matilda.

WhiteHairReally Tue 17-Nov-15 00:10:55

I taught two Alicias, in the same school, pronounced differently. It distinguished them from each other. I've also taught a Lissa, as in 'Liss-a' like the Lissa at the end of Melissa, which I thought simple but pretty. So I offer Lissa and Melissa, which combines the initial of your other favourite, Matilda, your favoured nn and a name that doesn't get mispronounced.

summerrose2589 Tue 17-Nov-15 06:40:00

WhiteHairReally
Thank you for your suggestion, however I do not feel I could use the name Melissa. I went to school with one, many years ago and it wasn't a positive association, so I feel like I couldn't give my child that name.

CakeRattleandRoll Tue 17-Nov-15 06:42:08

I would pronounce Alicia as a-LEE-sha.
Prefer Alyssia to Elyssia, and prefer both to Matilda.

Oysterbabe Tue 17-Nov-15 07:01:41

I prefer Matilda just because Alyssia is too fussy for me.

Brioche201 Tue 17-Nov-15 07:16:57

I agree that Alicia is traditionally pronounced aleesha. I like the spelling with the 'e' best

BertrandRussell Tue 17-Nov-15 07:54:17

No it isn't Aliicia is traditionally pronounced A-liss-ia. Nobody was called Al-lee-sha until people stopped being able to pronounce Alicia properly!

FlysInDreams Tue 17-Nov-15 08:21:25

The only Alicia I've met was pronounced A-LISS-ee-a

ktmummy1 Tue 17-Nov-15 08:33:42

Alicia is the correct spelling
For A-Lis-ee-a . I'm afraid the other two spelling look wrong. Anyone pn Alicia as a-lee-sha is wrong!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now