Talk

Advanced search

Susanna, Eliza or Frankie

(21 Posts)
Elabella Sun 15-Nov-15 23:32:18

Hi would welcome views please. We were looking at Susanna or Xanthe with possibly Eliza as a middle name. I still really like Xanthe but OH now says he doesn't. He has been working with a Frankie this week and thinks this is a cool name so has thrown it in the pot. I quite like it but keep thinking pop stars. I've also just met a Sapphire and really like it but wonder if you would need to be strong to carry it off. I'm not sure it sounds too pretentious...help!

VictoriaOakland Sun 15-Nov-15 23:39:38

I like Sapphire! I'm not a fan of Xanthe or Frankie, sorry! Susanna is okay, but not my style. My favourite from your choices is Eliza, but I see that you're only thinking of that for a middle name - I'd go with Sapphire smile

toffeeboffin Sun 15-Nov-15 23:42:07

Love Susanna.

Eliza is ok.

Dont like Frankie at all.

Sapphire sounds like a stripper (sorry) .

Pandora97 Sun 15-Nov-15 23:45:03

Susanna's lovely. I think Frankie is too masculine and nicknamey on its own but I like it as a nickname for Francesca.

I think Sapphire's pretty but it is a bit over the top. Sorry to be blunt but I think it sounds like the kind of name a stripper would choose. Probably because it's the title and heroine of one of Katie Price's novels.

Shebangsthedrumsshedoes Sun 15-Nov-15 23:57:29

I dislike Eliza. It sounds so harsh.

I love Susannah.

Frankie is cool. I like it.

Sapphire - don't think it's nice but not awful.

lottiegarbanzo Mon 16-Nov-15 00:00:30

Not Frankie. It's a nn and not a very lovely one IMO. Frances or Francesca are both lovely names that would offer the option.

Not sapphire either.

The others are really nice.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Mon 16-Nov-15 01:12:31

I think Frankie is a fab nn but I'd have to have Francesca on the BC.
I think Xanthe is a horrible name and I'm not over keen if at all on Sapphire.
I love susanna though. It's gorgeous
So for me it would have to be either
Susanna Eliza
Or
Francesca Eliza
Or have you not thought of using Eliza as a first name

Nowthereistwo Mon 16-Nov-15 01:21:02

My 9wk dd is Eliza. Everyone has been really positive about the name (over and above the usual politeness iykwim).

AuntGertrude Mon 16-Nov-15 09:07:54

Susanna is lovely and Susanna Eliza is a good combination.

Not Frankie. Frances is beautiful and underused and could have Frankie as a nn.

Not Sapphire - but Sophia is pronounced pretty much the same way if that works for you?

Elabella Mon 16-Nov-15 09:12:27

Hi thanks everyone for your comments they've been really helpful. I'm thinking Susanna Eliza may be favourite. I think I would like to stick to something classic. I went to college with a Frances which has always put me off but quite like Francesca so possibly Susanna Francesca but may be that's too long for a middle name?

MummaGiles Mon 16-Nov-15 09:13:43

I like Frankie, full name Francesca. It was one of our short listed names for a girl but we had a boy.

WhineyTinker Mon 16-Nov-15 09:18:05

Bear in mind Susanna/h is very quickly gaining popularity as people move away from "old lady names" next massive trend is 70s names. Think Vivian,Karen, Sarah, Susanna, Yvonne etc.

TempsPerdu Mon 16-Nov-15 09:21:42

Personally I'd stick with Susanna - it's lovely. Really don't like Frankie, which just has an unpleasant sound to my ears - although I don't mind Francesca.

Sapphire I think might work as a middle name but I wouldn't use it as a first. As others have said it has something of the stripper/showgirl about it - a bit brash and 'in your face'.

celtictoast Mon 16-Nov-15 09:43:02

I like Sapphire and Xanthe.

ragged Mon 16-Nov-15 09:44:17

All nice, Susannah (Suzy) would be my fave.

WelshWereRabbit Mon 16-Nov-15 10:02:09

Susannah Francesca is lovely. I find Eliza a bit harsh sounding and don't really like Sapphire as a name.

Surprised to hear old lady names have been overtaken by 70's names - what happened to all the names in the middle, like Brenda and Maureen?

CoralieConfused Mon 16-Nov-15 11:05:10

Susanna, without the h, is lovely.

MitzyLeFrouf Mon 16-Nov-15 11:36:18

Susannah - lovely

Frankie - also lovely

Eliza - meh

Sapphire - fairground fortune teller

MyNewBearTotoro Mon 16-Nov-15 11:36:32

I don't like Xanthe or Frankie, sorry.

Eliza and Susanna are both lovely.

ashesandfire Mon 16-Nov-15 11:52:21

Susannah and Eliza are gorgeous. Frankie is OK as a nn- I love Francesca.
Sapphire is awful.

Sophronia Mon 16-Nov-15 22:52:52

I love the name Susanna, and Eliza is lovely too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now