Talk

Advanced search

Baby girl is 5 weeks old, thinking of changing name from Sybil to Margot...

(35 Posts)
Porkpienessie Tue 10-Nov-15 22:40:53

DD 3 currently called Sybil and although we like the name hubby and I just don't love it.
The dilemma we have is that Margot is the middle name of our second daughter and we steered away from using it for this reason however we both adore the name and are now unsure whether to pass up the opportunity of using this name on a daily basis?! We need to register the birth this Friday and would be grateful of your views/advice....Which name do you prefer?! Thanks!

FriendofBill Tue 10-Nov-15 22:48:22

I prefer Margot.
Go with the name you love.

DramaAlpaca Tue 10-Nov-15 22:49:29

I love Sybil, not so keen on Margot.

Sophronia Tue 10-Nov-15 22:56:00

I prefer Sybil, I wouldn't re-use a name you've already given to another DC, even if it is a middle name.

Ginwithpetalsandiece Tue 10-Nov-15 23:03:32

I like Sybil. Not all keen on margot.

lottiegarbanzo Tue 10-Nov-15 23:14:33

I like both. Tricky situation though. I'd go with what you feel most strongly. Make a decision, them you'll find out if you feel it's right.

CelestiaLuna Tue 10-Nov-15 23:17:03

You adore the name Margot and only like the name Sybil. I would therefore change her name and wouldn't worry that it's already been used as a mn.

AndNowItsSeven Tue 10-Nov-15 23:18:48

Maggie is very cute, Margot is ok, Sybil not really keen.

SpendSpendSpend Tue 10-Nov-15 23:20:59

They are both awful. There is still time to get the baby book out

Nospringflower Tue 10-Nov-15 23:21:37

Not keen on Sybil so prefer Margot but not that keen on it either - sorry. I would go with what you prefer though.

LynetteScavo Tue 10-Nov-15 23:37:04

I love the name Margot - I'm "meh" about Sybil.

What suits your baby best?

celtictoast Tue 10-Nov-15 23:39:49

I prefer Sybil.

DeepBlueLake Wed 11-Nov-15 02:56:54

I love Margot, really dislike Sybil.

SunshineAndShadows Wed 11-Nov-15 03:13:35

OP you'll get a lot of randoms saying 'I like this one' or 'I don't like that' But who cares what randoms on the internet think.

I think your question is more about whether its ok to use your other DD's middle name as a first name for DD3 - I'd say yes.

A friend of mine has 4 sisters and her youngest sister's first name is my friend's middle name - unusual name too - and its never been an issue for them. The girls understand that their parents couldn't have predicted whether they'd have more girls and that their parents loved the name so much they used it twice.

Similarly two of my brothers have the same mn

Its all good - go with the name you prefer

spondulix Wed 11-Nov-15 03:21:24

I agree that posters saying "I don't like that name" is really unhelpful!

OP if you feel that strongly just change it. Otherwise it will be a hassle later on. You both love Margot, so Margot-for it!

Itshouldntmatter Wed 11-Nov-15 10:12:29

Give your child the gift of the name you love most. They will wear that name their whole life. But my only thing would be that using a middle name could look like first DD got favourite, second DD got second favourite. You could use the story that first DD's name suited her personality best and you realised margot suited dd2 best so you changed because you loved the name so much. Or something like that smile

Porkpienessie Wed 11-Nov-15 10:22:55

Thank you for taking the time to reply, there are some really helpful and kind comments which I'll take forward and discuss with hubby. It doesn't help that we are both incredibly indecisive hence to need to seek views from this forum!!

lightgreenglass Wed 11-Nov-15 10:29:56

I like both but it doesn't matter what I think. I would say I know 3 Margot's across the country, that have been born in the last 2 months so I do think the popularity is about to rise just in case you wanted a name which isn't popular.

wigglesrock Wed 11-Nov-15 11:26:20

Change it if you think you'll still feel like this in five years time. With regard to Margot being the middle name of your eldest child I wouldn't worry too much about that. It's quite common where I am for this to happen, my bil has the same middle name as his younger brothers first name - I've made that sound very complicated grin.

I would have loved to use my dd2s middle name as a first name for dd3 but my husband didn't like it enough. Neither of us thought about it being already used as a middle name. If you're both in agreement I'd change it. I've 3 daughters their middle names are so rarely used.

JanuaryJuniper Wed 11-Nov-15 11:37:45

Absolutely adore Sybil, so much so I have it in mind for next dd!

SuckingEggs Wed 11-Nov-15 11:40:14

Sybil is much nicer. Margot is harsh.

LadyintheRadiator Wed 11-Nov-15 11:43:20

If your only concern is that it's DD1s middle name then I'd say use it, that's not so strange. But I do think children grow into their names whatever you choose.

Debbriana1 Wed 11-Nov-15 14:39:33

With margot your setting your child up for bullying because it's similar to the word maggot or maggots. I don't think you want that, do you?

jobrum Wed 11-Nov-15 17:45:26

What about naming her Margaret and using Margot as nn if youre concerned about the middle name thing. It's similar enough that the nn works as a shortened version. I wouldn't worry about any maggot associations - I'm sure we all remember how kids at achool can make fun of anything!

Rosie29 Wed 11-Nov-15 20:50:21

My friend did this, she angsted about it and a six years down the line it's not an issue and never even referred to. choose the name you like (for what it's worth I love Margot!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now