Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I've found an unusual girls name......

(17 Posts)
summerrose2589 Tue 10-Nov-15 10:39:14

I've recently had two close relatives of mine go to the Fiji Island of Lomani.
When they came home they were telling me about this couple who got married on the island, who then returned during their stay to have their daughter christened, who they had named Lomani after the island where they got married.
It's a really beautiful island, and apparently the name Lomani has a lovely meaning in Fiji.
It's got me thinking...... What do you think of the name Lomani for a girl? It seems like a beautiful and unusual name. But being unusual, I wanted to throw it out to the mumsnetters for your opinions!! Thanks!!

scatterthenuns Tue 10-Nov-15 10:41:26

I think it is nice for the couple who can attribute some romantic significance to it.

As a name it itself, I think it is dreadful. I very much dislike names than end in I.

TheHouseOnTheLane Tue 10-Nov-15 10:41:28

Sorry but I think it's quite ugly. I'm sure that doesn't matter though.

It sounds a bit like Armani...

anythingicando Tue 10-Nov-15 10:42:44

Although I can see how in the context of being a beautiful Fijian island, this is a lovely sounding word, as a girls name I'm not very keen I'm afraid.

When I say it it sounds quite like Armani, and I just don't like the associations. Sorry .

MrsCaecilius Tue 10-Nov-15 10:53:30

I appreciate the meaning of it for someone who has a connection to the island. But for anyone else it is pretentious.

Topsy34 Tue 10-Nov-15 21:01:18

Just sounds a bit made up, cos its not really a girls name, its the name of an island.....

Topsy34 Tue 10-Nov-15 21:02:54

Sorry just re read your post...is it used as a name on the island as well as being the island?

Sunshine511 Tue 10-Nov-15 22:13:33

With the back story, it sounds beautiful. If we lived in a place where many people knew of that island, then I'm sure the name would have lovely connotations to us all. The trouble is, hearing the name, without knowing all about the island, it just doesn't sound all that pretty in my opinion. Remember, it's your opinion that really matters though! smile

Etrusca Wed 11-Nov-15 07:30:30

It sounds like the sort of name you find in a fantasy book, to be honest.

lottiegarbanzo Wed 11-Nov-15 07:39:46

Are there any places you have a connection to, or where you've been happy, that might provide inspiration for a name?

Moohoomeltdown Wed 11-Nov-15 07:48:24

No, sorry, don't like it. I could understand if it was somewhere very special to you but stand alone...? I'm sorry OP but it doesn't work IMO.

ElviraCondomine Wed 11-Nov-15 09:14:29

I love places being used as names, so long as you have a link to the place. I've come across DC called after Scottish islands (think Arran, Harris, Caldey etc) and a town in Ghana (Tamale - pronounced Ta-ma-ly I think). DH's friend's DC are all called after natural features in the country they live in (mountains, a river etc) I've even met a family whose DC were named after their parents' university colleges (actual names that aren't used any more, so more linked with the place.) It does make more sense if you've got a personal reason for doing so, but in the end you can choose whatever name you like, so long as it makes you happy.

StrawberryTeaLeaf Sun 15-Nov-15 02:28:36

It's not as nice as Florence, India, Iona, Olympia, Siena etc

NoArmaniNoPunani Sun 15-Nov-15 02:39:22

It's also a perfume brand.

KoalaDownUnder Sun 15-Nov-15 02:52:34

My friend is Fijian, and her daughter is called Levani.

I love it, but I think it suits her because she has Fijian heritage (and the beautiful dark skin and curly dark ringlets that go with it).

millionsmom Sun 15-Nov-15 03:26:07

Well, I think it's a lovely name and I'm pretty sure it's not only folk from Fiji or people who have been there that have a 'right' to call their DC it.
None of my DCs names need have a 'backstory'. Other than I liked the names.

The guy who's dad is Lord Bath - Cewalin I think he's called - his son has a very ordinary name. John. Made me really laugh when I heard and I imagine folks with unusual names either love or loathe them. But then, I'm pretty sure a lot of us don't like our 'real' names either. Unusual or not.

mathanxiety Sun 15-Nov-15 03:30:33

I think with unusual names, placenames, etc., there may be a danger of mistakenly using a name whose meaning you don't understand, or a name that has a historical association that is horrible that you might not know about, or a name that means something else in a third language. Of course you might say that's a risk you run with any name.

Tamale sort of jumped out at me. Tamales are delicious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now