Talk

Advanced search

Alexandria or Alexandra?

(40 Posts)
putthePuffindown Mon 09-Nov-15 21:30:46

We just can't decide!

And what for a middle name? We feel it should be short (1-2 syllables) given length of first name and it shouldn't end in an 'ah' sound, but other than that we're drawing a blank.

TIA smile

IguanaTail Mon 09-Nov-15 21:33:41

Alexandra or she will have to say "no no it ends with ia for the rest of her life".

Middle names:
Rose
Grace
Mary
Louise?

Or a name of someone in the family?

IguanaTail Mon 09-Nov-15 21:34:38

Speech mark incorrect there.. Apologies

AspieUnicorn Mon 09-Nov-15 21:40:59

I would choose Alexandra - that was on my short list.

celtictoast Mon 09-Nov-15 22:39:23

Alexandra

Middle names:

Zoe
Juliet
Jasmine
Faith
Lucy

IoraRua Mon 09-Nov-15 22:44:38

Alexandra. Alexandria is too much.

Agree with a short, non a ending name.
Ivy, Faith, Hope, Lucy, Pearl, Eimear (ee-mur), Eirlys, June, May, Lily, Kate, Eve, Roisin (row-sheen), Jane, Tamsin.

Sophronia Mon 09-Nov-15 22:49:31

Alexandra

ZenNudist Mon 09-Nov-15 22:50:43

Alexandra Emily
Alexandra Grace
Alexandra Elise
Alexandra Nicole
Alexandra Josephine
Alexandra Catherine
Alexandra Charlotte
Alexandra Isobel

I think 3 syllable second names work well but they have to be fairly classic and not too modern.

I don't like Alexandria

EnaSharplesHairnet Mon 09-Nov-15 22:50:58

To me Alexandria is a place name and I'd assume that I had misheard Alexandra.

DramaAlpaca Mon 09-Nov-15 22:51:24

Alexandra. Alexandria is one syllable too many, IMO. Agree a short, neat middle name would work best.

Devora Mon 09-Nov-15 22:58:02

I like Alexandra Josephine

AnchorDownDeepBreath Mon 09-Nov-15 23:04:50

Alexandria is a place. In the walking dead. Alexandra is nice.

SecretWitch Mon 09-Nov-15 23:08:42

I have an Alexandra. She prefers Spike.

manicinsomniac Mon 09-Nov-15 23:27:13

I prefer Alexandra. Alexandria is lovely too, though. If you're looking for variants on Alexandra there's also Alessandra and Alejandra? Or Alexis, Alexa and Alexia for shorter versions?

Middle name ideas:
Anne, Beth, Claire, Faith, Faye, Fleur, Fallon, Grace, Giselle, Hope, Jade, Jane, Joan, Kate, Lucy, Lauren, Leanne, Megan, Mirren, Maeve, Mabel, Niamh, Nicole, Nancy, Nell, Olive, Paige, Phoebe, Poppy, Quinn, Rose, Rachel, Ruby, Seren, Sadie, Susan, Tamsin, Tess, Tegan, Willow, Xanthe, Yasmin, Yvette, Zoe

putthePuffindown Mon 09-Nov-15 23:44:45

Spike grin

We do really like the shortened versions (Alexis, Alexa,etc) but thought if we go long then she has options and can choose one if she prefers.

Alexandra it is, thank you all folks smile and loving these middle name suggestions, a good few for the short list and to run by DH.

RaisedByWolves Tue 10-Nov-15 10:09:53

Alexandria is the name of an ancient city. Every time i hear that in RL i experience a stab of wrongness.

EnaSharplesHairnet Tue 10-Nov-15 10:12:48

Alexandria is still going strong in Egypt, there is a tiny one in Scotland too!

scatterthenuns Tue 10-Nov-15 10:19:42

Alexandra, because Alexandria will spend her life correcting people.

BikeRunSki Tue 10-Nov-15 12:01:49

I agree with Alexsandra, for the reasons given. Also, love Hope as a middle name.

CakeRattleandRoll Tue 10-Nov-15 13:50:26

Alexandra Joy

clarabellski Tue 10-Nov-15 15:07:05

My MIL is Alexandra shortened to Sandra, so just checking you like all of the shortened versions!

BikeRunSki Tue 10-Nov-15 15:08:22

I meant Alexandra of course. My autocorrect seems to be partially Mediterranean.

Thurlow Tue 10-Nov-15 15:15:22

Ah, we have an 'dria'. I like that it's slightly different. When you say it, it's clear enough that it's a 'dria' not a 'dra', so we've not really had any problems with people mispronouncing it - apart from the odd few people who seem to think it's Alexander hmm

She's always known by the common shortening though.

Glad we're entertaining some people with the wrongness though wink (first time DD's name has been subject to one of these threads!)

AuntGertrude Tue 10-Nov-15 18:34:42

Alexandra Ruth

fleurdelacourt Tue 10-Nov-15 18:42:47

I used to love the name Alexandra - but it will invariably get shortened to Alex (whichever of your options you go for) - are you ok with that? If not then Alexa/Alexia might be better choices?

Also the final sound of the full name is just too much like Sandra for me?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now