Talk

Advanced search

Evan?

(30 Posts)
mumblebumble Sun 08-Nov-15 17:07:29

We've decided this time round not to share our planned baby name with anyone in real life, but it's making it hard to reality-test it!

Can I have any opinions on Evan - we are in England and have no Welsh heritage if that makes a difference.

Also any ideas for a middle name? Surname begins with O so nothing else starting with a vowel, or spelling out a word (e.g. I like Matthew but not sure he'd thank me for the initials EMO!) I'm considering the following:

Evan Jacob
Evan Joseph

Wise mumsnetters what do you think?

Tootsiepops Sun 08-Nov-15 17:11:44

I love Evan. Was on our list but we're having a girl.

mumblebumble Sun 08-Nov-15 17:12:18

Yay good start! Thanks Tootsie

GothJoose Sun 08-Nov-15 17:14:45

Evan is nice.

Alexander would be a good md

DramaAlpaca Sun 08-Nov-15 17:16:23

I like Evan very much, and both your suggested middle names sound good.

MatchsticksForMyEyes Sun 08-Nov-15 17:17:19

My 5yr old is Evan. His middle name is John after my grandad. Apparently Evan translates as John from Welsh. Oh well...
Plus he is the only Evan I know at his school. We are also English, but his half sisters are Welsh.

OffMyAyersRocker Sun 08-Nov-15 17:17:58

Another one to say Evan is a great name. I like Matthew and i doubt his initials would come up that often to be a problem (but just realised dd2 initials are LAB so what do l know! smile)

Yarpyarp Sun 08-Nov-15 17:27:29

I think it's lovely. No worries that you're not Welsh, that really doesn't matter

mumblebumble Sun 08-Nov-15 17:41:32

Fab, thanks! I love it but I'm aware its still relatively uncommon, made me wonder if I was missing something!

VictoriaaaJohnsonnn Sun 08-Nov-15 17:46:46

I love Evan and I like the middle name James smile

celtictoast Sun 08-Nov-15 19:12:35

I like Evan. Evan Joseph sounds good.

fleurdelacourt Sun 08-Nov-15 20:13:24

Evan was my grandfather's name! Quite like it as a name now - only ever met one. Might be shortened to Ev? Would that put you off?

ktmummy1 Sun 08-Nov-15 21:31:04

I like it. Love Ewan too!

mumblebumble Sun 08-Nov-15 21:48:42

Thanks all for putting my mind at rest smile
Victoria I love the name James too but its DS1's name so unfortunately its out!
Fleur no I wouldn't be bothered by Ev or Van as nicknames, I don't think there's any other ones I'm missing so looks like we're good to go!

IoraRua Sun 08-Nov-15 21:52:27

I really like it. Have only ever met one.

TheoriginalLEM Sun 08-Nov-15 21:55:17

I like it - i know an Evan, although they pronounce it EEEVan which I was a bit hmm at first but now i really like it.

mrssmith79 Sun 08-Nov-15 21:56:10

Love it, reminds me of my mid-nineties Evan Dando crush. Sadly, Google Images informs me that time has not been kind.

5hell Mon 09-Nov-15 09:38:00

i know a lovely kind funny boy called Evan, so go for it! smile

both your middle names sound good too

WorraLiberty Mon 09-Nov-15 09:39:45

My Sri Lankan neighbour is called Evan. I think it's a lovely name.

WorraLiberty Mon 09-Nov-15 09:40:37

Oh yes, it's pronounced EEEVan though.

CeriBerry Mon 09-Nov-15 10:44:50

My eldest brother is an Evan- pronounced EEEvan. He's named after our great grandfather. It's pronounced like that because it was the anglicisation of 'Ifan' in the same way that 'Ap Sion' became 'Jones' etc. Around here, if you wanted it to be pronounced Ev-an, you'd most likely spell it Efan, but we're in a very Welsh part of Wales!!

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Mon 09-Nov-15 11:26:10

Lovely name.
I also had an Evan Dando crush. I'm disappointed that he hasn't aged well, mrssmith. I will avoid googling and keep my fantasy.

mumblebumble Mon 09-Nov-15 12:50:03

Eek, do you think people in England will pronounce is Ev-an, or Eeevan? Having grown up with an impossible to pronounce name I'm trying not to inflict the same on my kids!

mrssmith and stillno I'm the same... just google 90s Evan Dando to relive the memories without the disappointment!

PeasinPod1 Mon 09-Nov-15 12:59:26

Have loved the name ever since having a huge crush on the character Evan Wylde on the fab Aussie TV series The Secret Life of Us. He is probably the coolest character you could come across (laid back, funny, young, writer who gets all the girls wink) so has done great things for the name.

celtictoast Mon 09-Nov-15 13:52:23

I didn't know it could be pronounced Eee-van. I'd pronounce it Ev-an because of the BBC journalist Evan Davies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now