Talk

Advanced search

Would it be awful to name a baby girl after a sci-fi character?

(14 Posts)
CesareBorgiasUnicornMask Sat 07-Nov-15 19:38:13

Namely Aeryn Sun, from Farscape?

I love the name, and so does DH - we both like the slight difference in pronunciation from Erin, (though realise it would almost certainly be said 'Erin' by everyone else.

Plus the character is supremely badass and I loves her.

So would it be an awful name to inflict on a little girl? I can't decide... I like Madeleine as a middle name to go with it.

NB: Aeryn Madeleine is still a strictly hypothetical child and will hopefully remain so for at least the next three years...

KaraokeQueenOfTheNorth Sat 07-Nov-15 19:39:17

I think it's great

ragged Sat 07-Nov-15 19:40:01

I never heard of Farscape.
She'll spend her life correcting that spelling.
I know a grown Ripley (Alien) and a teenage Annakin. You could do worse.

BikeRunSki Sat 07-Nov-15 19:41:18

There is someone who works in my organisation called Anakin McDowell. His parents clearly thought it was OK to name their child after a sci-fi character.

rainydaygrey Sat 07-Nov-15 19:41:24

Aerin Lauder the cosmetics heiress has a similar spelling.

catkind Sat 07-Nov-15 19:41:35

It's a pretty name and doesn't sound made up. Is it actually a real name too? I say go for it.

FattyNinjaOwl Sat 07-Nov-15 19:42:24

Why not. It's better than my DBs suggestion for my DS2. He wanted me to name him kakarot. After a character in Dragonball Z. hmm

Trills Sat 07-Nov-15 19:43:05

Aeryn FEELS like a "real name". I think you are fine.

YakTriangle Sat 07-Nov-15 19:43:53

Love it, and it was a great show smile

AtSea1979 Sat 07-Nov-15 19:44:59

Nice, but doesn't go with Madeleine. Would go with a short simple middle name nicely though.

DadOnIce Sat 07-Nov-15 19:45:05

Before I even clicked on this I had a feeling it was going to be Aeryn!

marmiteandcheeseplease Sat 07-Nov-15 19:47:37

Totally fine. Currently pregnant with DD2 but if she'd been a DS I wanted to use the name Gaius after the character from Battlestar!

CesareBorgiasUnicornMask Sat 07-Nov-15 19:54:54

Good guess DadOnIce grin.

And yes now I see it written down I'm not so sure about Madeleine. Hrrmm.... And yes it is a fab show. Just not sure how I'd have felt if instead of being named after assorted saints and grandmothers my Mum had told me I had the name of a fictional gun-toting alien that she had a massive crush on.

I realise I'm probably putting too much thought into this since I'm not actually pregnant, but finding a name for DS that DH and I both liked was one of the most stressful experiences of my life. If we ever have another boy we're screwed as I'm pretty sure we've used up the only two male names we could agree on...

CesareBorgiasUnicornMask Sat 07-Nov-15 19:56:22

shock marmite that's genius!

I am actually going to text that to DH now as a suggestion demand for if we ever have another boy...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now