Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would it be weird to give our children a different surname to us?

(10 Posts)
ThePartyArtist Wed 04-Nov-15 12:49:15

My husband and I double barreled our surnames when we got married. The first part is a bit tricky to pronounce / spell and the second part is simple.

We both like fairly unusual names for babies, and are concerned that putting this together with a double barreled surname will be very complicated.

Would it be weird to give children only the simple part of our surname, so we could use the more unusual first name with it? Or would it be odd? i.e. we would be Mr and Mrs A-B; children would have surname B only.

Alternatives are bite the bullet and go for an unusual first name with double barreled surname; or simplify first name.

StDogolphin Wed 04-Nov-15 12:59:50

It makes life a little easier to have the same surname. Also, people can and do make the effort with children's names. Were it me I would want to be the same as my parents.

SolsburyHell Wed 04-Nov-15 13:05:16

I would give it the double barreled surname with whatever first name you want. People will get used to it and the child will learn.

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Wed 04-Nov-15 13:06:05

It's not as though you are giving them a completely different name, so I would just use the simple part of your surname if you are both happy with that.

Our DC have a different name to both of us, I didn't change my name on marriage and H has a ridiculously long asian surname that's impossible to spell and in his culture people are usually called Firstname Father'sfirstname, so that's how he's usually known. So for us the easiest option was to give my FIL's first name as the DC's surname. If I travel with the DC I have their birth certs with me to show that I'm their mother, but apart from that there hasn't been any issues.

DreamingOfThruxtons Wed 04-Nov-15 13:06:43

Are you not so keen on the double-barrelled thing, now? If not, could you change the first part to more of a middle name for you both - and change it by deed poll?

Alternatively, you could do what we are planning to do- both change your surname to a new one you both like, and which fits with the names you want for your kids!

Elbelle6 Wed 04-Nov-15 13:12:32

Works for the Royals. They've got all sorts of surnames that don't match their parents.

I would pick up on what a previous poster said. Do you really like your double barrel name? If not then this would provide you with the perfect reason to change it to just that simpler one.

Alternatively just stick with it for all of you. I'm sure people will get use to it. I think it is traditional here in some areas for the wife to have the double barrel name, the husband to keep the single name and the children to take the single name too.

celtictoast Wed 04-Nov-15 13:17:18

I think it would be fine to just use the simpler part of the surname.

MildVirago Wed 04-Nov-15 13:19:01

I say stick with it for all of you. Neither of us changed our names on marriage, and our son has both our long, 'non-phonetic to most English ears' names, and an unusual first name. It's not been a problem.

You sound as if you fee you should call your children Jack and Jane to compensate for their surname, but my son's teachers and GP surgery regularly get their tongues around Halanappavar and Biobaku without the world ending.

elor11 Wed 04-Nov-15 17:50:37

Why don't you put the first part as their middle name so it is still there.

woundbobbin Wed 04-Nov-15 18:04:23

I kept my surname when I married and dd has a 'made up' surname the 1st half of my surname plus DH's surname. She is 3 I'm currently 19 weeks with no 2 who will be given the same surname as dd. we have never had a problem with it and dd has never been 'confused' by it. Some people did laugh initially but not really. I'd say do what you would prefer no one will make a big deal out of it unless you do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now