Talk

Advanced search

Having a hard time choosing

(35 Posts)
Elbelle6 Sun 01-Nov-15 18:38:47

We are struggling to choose a name for our first child. I want something distinctive but not too outlandish that she won't fit in with everyone else. Favourites so far are:

Ianthe - bit worried no one will no how to pronounce it
Danae - similar issue to above
Eliza - family name
Elodie
Cordelia
Isadora
Danica
Fleur
Lowenna
Xanthe

Surname is Whitfield

BettyBi0 Sun 01-Nov-15 19:08:01

I wouldn't have a clue how to pronounce the first 2. Are they Irish?

I think Elodie, Eliza and Cordelia sound best with your surname

Grace893 Sun 01-Nov-15 19:17:59

I second Betty: Eliza, Elodie and Cordelia are lovely- very classic and elegant.

Elbelle6 Sun 01-Nov-15 19:25:25

They are Greek in origin I think. OH likes Frankie, but I'm not sure. Makes me think of pop bands

ashesandfire Sun 01-Nov-15 19:37:52

I love Eliza, Elodie and Xanthe.

LumelaMme Sun 01-Nov-15 19:40:39

Ianthe, Danae and Xanthe are Greek. There was an HMS Danae in World War II (Useless Fact of the Day).

I like Eliza, Cordelia and Xanthe. I think Danica sounds like a brand of washing machine...

Elbelle6 Sun 01-Nov-15 20:01:33

I see Cordelia can be shortened to Cordie which I quite like. Don't know what other people think. Wouldn't want it to get shortened to Delia though

IoraRua Sun 01-Nov-15 20:02:46

Eliza and Elodie will be popular, so I'd avoid.

Cordelia - fine

Ianthe - not sure of pronunciation

Danae reminds me of yoghurt (Danone).

Fleur - don't personally like but nothing wrong with it

Danica - a bit like someone had their boys name chosen as Dan, unexpectedly had a girl and slapped on some letters at the end to feminise it. I feel the same about Philippa, Michaela etc - not a fan!

Isadora - fine. With lots of Isabel/Isabellas around it seems like it'd blend in, rather than be distinctive as you wanted.

Lowenna - this is interesting. How do you pronounce it, loh-en-ah? Low-een-ah?

IoraRua Sun 01-Nov-15 20:04:20

Oh, I forgot Xanthe. Tis grand. Seems to be suggested on here loads though so I dunno if there would be many of them, or if it's just an MN trend.

JanuaryJuniper Sun 01-Nov-15 20:22:28

I really like Fleur and Cordelia from your list!

Elbelle6 Sun 01-Nov-15 20:48:22

Hi thanks yes I think OH been watching too many Danish dramas hence the Danica lol

I googled Xanthe and not too many coming up but I think it's getting more popular. I think it is my preferred at the moment. I like Cordelia but OH says he needs persuading. I think it sounds quite classic

Lowenna is Cornish..would be pronounced Loh-en-ah. I see someone on here also asking about it so must be getting more popular. Means joyful.

IoraRua Sun 01-Nov-15 21:00:34

Ah I see, Lowenna sounds lovely. That would probably be my favourite of them but Cordelia and Xanthe are nice too. I also really like Elodie and Isadora too but I do think popularity would be a problem.

As a teacher I really notice the huge popularity of -a (seems to be short -a names though)and -ie names. It seems to make them blend into one another....Milly, Molly, Lily, Sophie, Ivy etc and the result is the names become a bit insipid because it's all so similar. I'd think Xanthe is probably unusual enough to avoid that but definitely keep it in mind when choosing a name, if you'd like something a little different.

ExBallerina Sun 01-Nov-15 21:02:40

I like Elodie and Danica Whitfield.

celtictoast Sun 01-Nov-15 21:17:04

Ianthe and Isadora are my favourites from your list.

Elbelle6 Sun 01-Nov-15 21:36:51

That makes sense. I hadn't thought about it but you are right there are a lot of ie endings out there at the moment.

I want something that will sound good whether she is a doctor or an artist lol

MrsMichelRouxJr Mon 02-Nov-15 13:08:46

LOVE the name Elodie!

handonhip Mon 02-Nov-15 14:49:22

Eliza sounds amazing with your surname! Fabulous.

Lunastarfish Mon 02-Nov-15 16:12:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Binkybix Mon 02-Nov-15 16:15:34

I have a Cordelia. She's very new and her nicknames are Cordy and CoCo - might help persuade your DH if he thinks the full name is a bit much?

Elbelle6 Mon 02-Nov-15 17:32:22

I like those nicknames they are really sweet. I think Cordelia is a name that ticks a number of boxes for me. I think final choice will be between Cordelia, Xanthe and Lowenna. OH has now informed me he thinks Elodie sounds too much like Melody and he didn't like his aunt Eliza! Also in the last couple of weeks I've met the parents of what feels like a hundred Eliza's lol

Tirfarthoin Mon 02-Nov-15 17:37:09

I love the name Cordelia, it works for a child and and adult and will never get old. Also love the nn Coco

Only1scoop Mon 02-Nov-15 17:42:57

Xianthe know one and pronounces it ....I an thee ....lovely

Cordelia lovely

Only1scoop Mon 02-Nov-15 17:43:52

The rest don't sound like they are from the same list Op!!

Especially
Danica

Only1scoop Mon 02-Nov-15 17:44:29

Other than Eliza sorry ....

Beautiful

Elbelle6 Mon 02-Nov-15 17:58:38

OH has just side swipe me with Elise as an alternative to Eliza, he is still not sold on Cordelia. Bizarrely I've recently been doing so family history and on the census my gran Elsie was recorded as Elise. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now