Talk

Advanced search

Philippa nn Pippa

(20 Posts)
olaflikeswarmhugs Wed 28-Oct-15 16:47:17

Have just thrown this into mix I really like it ... however. ..

As a republican can I use it? Will she forever be assumed to be names after Middleton? If that's a constant association it will annoy me.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Wed 28-Oct-15 16:49:38

I wouldn't let Pippa Middleton influence you. She's not in the press nearly as much as she was just after the wedding. Media will focus on Kate and her children now she's had some.

I like the name.

elor11 Wed 28-Oct-15 17:06:56

I like it. But I think people will mention Pippa Middleton often. Depends how much it will annoy you.

olaflikeswarmhugs Wed 28-Oct-15 17:58:58

Mmmm I'm not sure how much it would annoy me. But it will annoy me.

Dd1 has the same name as a friends character and I did get asked a lot of she was names after her hmm but she's 10 now and it rarely comes up now. But then I do like friends so this didn't really bother me that much.

If people ask me if I've named my daughter after Pippa Middleton it might really annoy me.

I am really liking it as a name though. And I've really been strugglingsad

ThePug Wed 28-Oct-15 20:43:52

My sister is called Philippa and has never been called Pippa or anything other than Philippa. I think it's a lovely name and when I was making name lists was annoyed my parents had beaten me to it!

I'm pretty sure if you introduced her as Philippa nobody would query who you named her after. You can then refer to her as Pippa thereafter.

scatterthenuns Wed 28-Oct-15 23:04:32

It means cunt in Polish.

Racundra Wed 28-Oct-15 23:05:43

and penis in Greek.

I never think of Pippa Middleton, rather the rider Pippa ?Funnell

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Wed 28-Oct-15 23:21:56

A Greek friend told me it actually means blowjob in Greek. I think it's something rude in Spanish as well. That's only Pippa. Not Phillippa.

The event rider Pippa Funnell had to become Phillippa Funnell for the Athens Olympics and I remember delving as to why as it struck me as odd.

Racundra Wed 28-Oct-15 23:24:27

Sorry- something rude, anyway!

olaflikeswarmhugs Wed 28-Oct-15 23:37:26

Is it terrible that the royal connection annoys me more than the foreign rude words thlblush

Sad but true .

Well it's a front runner for me . DH needs convincing though thlhmm

monkeyinlondon Thu 29-Oct-15 06:08:59

We named our DD Philippa and she is called Pippa on a day to day basis. She's now 18 months old and I've only had one person say "oh, like Pippa Middleton". I hadn't even thought of it until they said it! In Europe we introduce her as Philippa to get round the rude word problem. We love the name so I would say go for it!

gingerdad Thu 29-Oct-15 06:21:31

My DDs friend is know as Pip.

BondJayneBond Thu 29-Oct-15 06:33:30

Pippa just sounds a bit too much like Peppa (Pig) for my liking.

MitzyLeFrouf Thu 29-Oct-15 10:50:01

Is it terrible that the royal connection annoys me more than the foreign rude words

Yes.

I just couldn't give my child a name that was a sexual slang word in so many different countries.

Laquila Thu 29-Oct-15 10:52:55

I think Philippa's lovely. And if you want to use Pippa, I wouldn't let the foreign slang words put you off, although I guess it depends how much you travel to those countries!

MitzyLeFrouf Thu 29-Oct-15 10:57:03

Or how much her daughter may choose to travel in the future.

scatterthenuns Thu 29-Oct-15 11:44:42

Or how often you work with people of other nationalities.

Binkybix Sat 31-Oct-15 08:24:18

I was put off pippa (from Penelope) because my DH found that it means lots of rude things in different languages. I love it, but when I tested it with a few people they did mention P Middleton I'm afraid.

mathanxiety Sun 01-Nov-15 02:08:44

I know one who answers to Squeak, as in pipsqueak.

NotMeNotYouNotAnyone Sun 01-Nov-15 12:19:34

I know a Phillippa known as Pippa or Pippy by family

She's old enough that she was born before the middletons were in the press but I don't think she gets comments about it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now