Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

opinions please :)

(20 Posts)
MRSJLP13 Wed 28-Oct-15 10:30:54

My husband and I will be beginning to try for a baby soon and we are already talking about names, would love opinions on the following names that we like!

Girls:

Etta
Zoe
Bridget
Ada
Vivienne
Pippa

I also like the name Emme, but not as a stand alone name...what could we use to get Emme as a nickname?

Boys:

Jasper
Gabriel
Rafael
Aston
Sasha

Middle name for a girl will be likely be Catherine after a dear friend of mine, no ideas yet for boys middle names.

Would love to hear any suggestions that match our taste smile

elor11 Wed 28-Oct-15 11:00:03

I'm personally not keen on Bridget at all. Emme is so cute. And could be Emily, Emma, Emerald,
Not keen on boys. I have known a few girls Sasha. I wouldn't see it as unisex. Aston is prob my fav.

Ladypug Wed 28-Oct-15 11:12:29

Emmeline? I heard that name recently and think it's v pretty. I love jasper for a boy!

ashesandfire Wed 28-Oct-15 15:27:40

Love Etta. I like Zoe too.
Emmeline nn Emme would be gorgeous!
I like Gabriel and Sasha for boys but prefer Sasha as a nn for Alexander

celtictoast Wed 28-Oct-15 16:20:40

Etta - OK but a bit nicknamey, would use as nickname for Julietta, Annetta etc.
Zoe - a bit pedestrian, prefer Zara
Bridget - Jones
Ada - like, would go well with Catherine as middle name
Vivienne - no
Pippa - like as nickname for Philippa
Emily or Emmeline with Emme as nickname - like

Jasper - not keen
Gabriel - not keen
Rafael - OK
Aston - Villa. How about Ashton?
Sasha - I knew a female Sasha and think of it as a girls name.

StrawberryTeaLeaf Wed 28-Oct-15 16:25:52

Etta is lovely.

Tangoandcreditcards Wed 28-Oct-15 16:26:25

Etta and Zoe have both been on my own list (not using either though - DP didn't like Etta and Zoe has been usurped by Ramona - we also considered Nancy and Josephine). They are my faves of your girls names.

Ada is also great - though I seem to know a lot of Ava, Eva, Ida s about if that sort of thing bothers you.

Sasha I do think is mainly a girl's name in the UK (appreciate it isn't elsewhere - also think works better as a nn for Alexander so he has options if he wants them). Gabriel is my favourite of your boys names. For some reason I think Jasper would be mean (my problem, not yours, clearly).

pilates Wed 28-Oct-15 16:37:15

Emmeline would be lovely with nn Emme.

Not keen on your boys names.

Pandora97 Wed 28-Oct-15 19:50:28

I like Etta, Zoe and Vivienne. I prefer Pippa as a nn for Philippa. I like Ada in theory but as Ava is so popular I think it would get misheard a lot which would annoy me.

From your boys list I love Jasper, Gabriel and Rafael. They're three of my favourite boys names, you have excellent taste. grin

Pandora97 Wed 28-Oct-15 19:51:13

Just thought, Emme could be a nickname for Emilia maybe.

shoopshoopsong Wed 28-Oct-15 19:53:16

LOVE etta and ada (and the people they may be inspired by)

ragged Wed 28-Oct-15 20:27:59

Emme? Do you say that like EM-ee? The one we know is Emmie as full name.

What about Emery. I used to know one (man's name).

I like Rafael best of your boy names.

MRSJLP13 Thu 29-Oct-15 15:18:27

Thanks for the opinions everyone!

We are definitely leaning towards Etta for a girl, Etta Catherine.

For the boys name, it's intresting that Sasha is only known as a girls name, I'm Australian and I know a handful of little ones with this name, I also have two adult male friends with this name, one is French and the other is South African smile

Rafael is a strong contender for a boy, and we still love Sasha too - what middle names would you suggest for Rafael and Sasha? We have a fairly common double barrelled surname, ending in 'er'.

NadiaWadia Thu 29-Oct-15 15:58:13

How do you say Emme? Is it the same as Emma, or Emmy, or Em?

Mrsindecision Thu 29-Oct-15 21:07:52

Like Emmy I think NadiaWadia.

CakeRattleandRoll Fri 30-Oct-15 09:32:16

I like all of your girl's names, although would use Pippa as nn for Philippa. Favourites are Zoe and Vivienne.

Rafael is my favourite of your boy's names. Agree with pp that Ashton is better than Aston, and Sasha is better as nn for Alexander.

MRSJLP13 Fri 30-Oct-15 10:19:01

Said like Emmy smile

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Fri 30-Oct-15 12:36:56

Etta, Zoe, Rafael and Jasper are the names I like from your list.

Last time I was in London heard a woman calling her children, "Rafael(Raphael?), Jessamy!" which sounded lovely together.

Middle names, perhaps Rafael Oliver or Sasha Henry?

Hopesicles Tue 03-Nov-15 11:02:32

Zoe and Aston are my favourites! smile x

reuset Tue 03-Nov-15 12:05:20

You like the nick name type names! Bearing that in mind

Etta - dislike alone, it sounds descriptive, almost. Plenty of nice longer names to use as short for.
Zoe - fine/ok
Bridget - good name
Ada - also good
Vivienne ok
Pippa - good for a pet, prefer Philippa

Jasper - ok
Gabriel - very good name
Rafael - good
Aston - just no
Sasha - fine as short for Alexander

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: