Talk

Advanced search

Make me love...

(39 Posts)
fairyfeatures Mon 26-Oct-15 11:14:49

'Blake' for a boy.

DH is quite set on it. I like it (bearing in mind I have no other suggestions for baby boy names atm) but am a bit of a people pleaser and think most especially IL's will hate it and will be too American for them.

What's your opinion?

Vixxfacee Mon 26-Oct-15 11:16:25

It is nice.

Spidertracker Mon 26-Oct-15 11:27:54

I knew a lad called Blake, only in the pub though he was always the life and soul. Thinking about it now though it could have been his surname, I didn't know him that well.

manicinsomniac Mon 26-Oct-15 11:32:16

I also like it but don't love it.

Sorry, not much help!

SparklyTinselTits Mon 26-Oct-15 11:34:27

My friend has a little girl called Blake, so I am always a bit hmm when I hear it being used for a boy...even though it's more commonly a boys name.
And did what your IL's thinks...it's your baby, call him/her whatever you want to. My mum still hates my DD's name!!

SparklyTinselTits Mon 26-Oct-15 11:34:53

Meant to say sod not did blush

Havalina1 Mon 26-Oct-15 11:43:13

Blake.... ahh when I saw it my mind jolted to...

BLAKE CARRINGTON from Dynasty! Good old Blake. Wasn't he married to blonde and perfect Krystyl?(I'm sure she had some crazy spelling).

PrincessPunzie Mon 26-Oct-15 11:52:12

I love the name Blake and it's one of only two names on my current boy list. I have the opposite problem in that my husband hates it! He also hates my other name choice, but won't make any sensible suggestions. Baby will have to be a girl, or be nameless, I think.

MamaLazarou Mon 26-Oct-15 14:31:18

Yeuch. Bit of a Marmite name, I think.

fairyfeatures Mon 26-Oct-15 14:35:29

The more I am saying it to myself, the more I am liking it.
Love the stuff the IL's idea too. I sometimes forget I am a grown woman and make my own choices... or try to at least.
Not a Dynasty viewer so I have no connection to that but the way you say good old Blake - he sounded like a nice guy?
PrincessPunzie - I'm working on the theory that if I don't have any other suggestions that I like more than Blake, at least one of us should have a name that we love. Put that to Mr Punzie!
Mmm, not really MamaLazarou - I quite like it, but don't love it or hate it. Now Marmite, I do hate!

MrsCaecilius Mon 26-Oct-15 14:41:34

Marmite.

Wasn't there a Blake on Home & Away in the 90s? He always struck me as slightly gormless. The combo of that and Blake from Dynasty makes me feel that Blake is a man in a soap opera. Afraid I struggle to like it...

M4blues Mon 26-Oct-15 14:44:49

I don't like it at all. It's not horrid or strange but sounds very American to me. A bit like Chase.

Willow123707 Mon 26-Oct-15 15:06:34

I personally don't like it. I'm not a fan of these names today like Roman and Blake. I think they are really really silly.

CPtart Mon 26-Oct-15 16:01:59

Yes too American. Don't like it.

pilates Mon 26-Oct-15 16:11:25

Not for me.

squoosh Mon 26-Oct-15 16:17:17

He'll be the suavest boy at his nursery

DramaAlpaca Mon 26-Oct-15 16:18:10

DS1(22) has a friend called Blake & I've often thought how much I like it, which is surprising as I don't usually like surnamey first names. I think Blake is really cool.

It really doesn't matter what your in-laws think, by the way.

fairyfeatures Mon 26-Oct-15 16:29:57

I'm sure that if Blake on H&A was gormless, it wont make my baby gormless, but then obviously he will be as cool as your guy Squoosh

Funny that Alpaca that's pretty much my kind of thoughts behind it....

Utterlyclueless Mon 26-Oct-15 16:31:37

My newborn is called Blake (boy) I get really weird looks when people ask me his name!

Kirjava Mon 26-Oct-15 16:32:43

Makes me think of the Vampire Weekend song. Blake's got a new face.

squoosh Mon 26-Oct-15 16:34:57

I forgot about Blake from Home and Away. Blast from the 1990s past.

squoosh Mon 26-Oct-15 16:36:04

Also in a tux! It must be a Blake hallmark grin

LeaveMyWingsBehindMe Mon 26-Oct-15 16:37:43

Weirdly, and i can't quite believe I'm saying this, but I prefer it for a girl than a boy. There's something a bit smarmy about it for a boy.

fairyfeatures Mon 26-Oct-15 16:41:16

Do they explain their funny looks clueless?

Haha, squoosh, are you pg? You need a Blake!

wings I actually would like to like it for a girl and it's becoming increasingly popular with Blake Lively but I actually don't. Strange.

Utterlyclueless Mon 26-Oct-15 16:43:57

Mostly it's 'that's strange' or 'he might get bullied isn't it a girls name?'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now