Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I need a new name - starting as a Samaritan volunteer. Not naming a baby!

(46 Posts)
RedCheckedTablecloth Sun 25-Oct-15 19:30:59

My actual name is reasonably identifiable and I need a very neutral name to use on the phone. The branch I work at currently has a direct line number.

What would you consider to be safe, neutral, easy to remember/classless name?

Jenijena Sun 25-Oct-15 19:31:46

Sarah?

Ikeameatballs Sun 25-Oct-15 19:33:05

Jane
Rachel
Hannah
Laura
Maria
Fiona
Clare

BorisJohnsonsHair Sun 25-Oct-15 19:33:48

Laura
Emma
Claire
Jane

Probably depends how old you are (I am v old so these names are probably suitable if you're over 40)

BorisJohnsonsHair Sun 25-Oct-15 19:34:43

Actually, there are 4 people of different ages called Catherine at my work, so maybe that's a good bet too.

annandale Sun 25-Oct-15 19:37:46

I would go for my second name, as I'm more likely to tune in to it if someone else says it.

Otherwise I also thought Sarah, or Louise.

laughingatweather Sun 25-Oct-15 19:37:52

I don't think it matters really. You're working for a help - line, pick any name. It really won't make a difference to people in distress.

HarryLimeFoxtrot Sun 25-Oct-15 19:40:00

Anne
Emma
Helen
Karen
Mary

elQuintoConyo Sun 25-Oct-15 19:40:10

Libby.

Fairly neutral? I worked in a walloping great call centre at one point in my youth and there were 3 people who worked there with my name. I was very good at my job, the others weren't and I often found myself being bollocked for their shoddyness. So I changed it to Libby and started getting the great feedback I deserved and gifts off clients including the offer of a weekend in Le Touquet with the Porsche Club

I'm 40, if that helps, and this was 20 years ago.

RedCheckedTablecloth Sun 25-Oct-15 19:40:50

Jane seems safe and neutral.

Is there a name that transcends all cultures and religions?

RedLentil Sun 25-Oct-15 19:42:18

I have a distinctive name that starts conversations, so I used Sarah and Rachel at first. I always found people stayed on longer with Sarah so used that one most ...

I live too far from a branch now, but really regret not being able to keep the Sam work going. Best of luck with it.

LucyMouse Sun 25-Oct-15 19:42:47

I would use the name my parents almost gave me - Helen. Can you find out which other names were on their shortlist?

Leavingsosoon Sun 25-Oct-15 19:43:09

Laughing

If you ring from a landline (admittedly less common now) you would get through to your local branch.

If someone's in distress and thinks they know 'Persephone' it might be off putting and upsetting for them and for the OP as well.

I think Sarah is a good one. Sarah, Anna, Emma, Ruth, Laura?

GloriaHotcakes Sun 25-Oct-15 19:43:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Leavingsosoon Sun 25-Oct-15 19:46:28

OP, you've inspired me! I've just contacted my local branch about volunteering smile

laughingatweather Sun 25-Oct-15 20:10:59

Leaving - why would that be off - putting?. But even if it was, surely the OP could pick any name to use and it doesn't need to be 'safe and neutral?'.

Names are names. People associate positive feelings with how the person treats them/makes them feel not what their name is.

I've worked in MH for almost twenty years and lots of people remember my name but lots don't (even people I've met face to face ) but they'll 'phone wanting to talk to me and give a description of me or say 'I was talking to her about. ..'..

In my experience, people are less likely to remember an unfamiliar name. My colleague has quite a distinctive name and hardly any service users ever remember it!.

I think you're over - thinking it OP. Just pick a name you like and will remember.

Leavingsosoon Sun 25-Oct-15 20:14:33

Because you wouldn't want to pour your heart out whilst thinking 'I might know her?'

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sun 25-Oct-15 20:19:27

What's your middle name?

To be honest, I would be more likely to recognise someone's voice. So I'd be on the other end of the phone thinking, "Why is Persephone pretending she's called Maud?"

Trills Sun 25-Oct-15 20:20:38

Louise sounds friendly.

WishIWasWonderwoman Sun 25-Oct-15 20:26:57

If you are looking for a neutral name I have quite a surprising contender:

Jade.

You could be Latin American (e.g. the gymnast Jade Barbosa), white British (e.g. tennis player Jade Windley), you could be Asian (e.g. singer Jade Kwan).

I don't think it really matters as long as its short and easy. Sarah/Sara is a pretty good one as it is used by Christians, Jews and Muslims and atheists. I'm not sure if you'll find a name that is used across all major religions.

As you're considering Jane, that's also a good name, it's short and simple.

fuckweasel Sun 25-Oct-15 20:30:31

Interesting the first reply was 'Sarah'. That was my Samaritan name! It was the first one that came into my head when asked my name on a call.

myotherusernameisbetter Sun 25-Oct-15 20:31:04

I think you associate things with names which is why for the OPs purposes it's best to choose something that gives out vibes of dependability and neutrality etc.

My first thoughts were also Emma and Laura but most of the names here are decent options.

It's interesting the the PP found Sarah better than Rachel as I think Rachel has a harsher sound than Sarah. So, I'd go for any of the softer sounding names.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sun 25-Oct-15 20:50:26

Good on you for giving your time to such worthy cause. Im not knocking the poster who suggested Jane but the think it is too harsh sounding. Don't forget these callers are going to be very anxious. So I think you need to use a friendly approachable name. It may sound daft but a name is very very important. Some suggestions.
Louisa
Emma
Jo
Katie
Sophie
Jess
Anna
Julie. All the Julies I've ever known have been lovely. Never came across a nasty one.
Beth
Susannah
Rachel
Ellie
Sam
Paula
Vicky

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Sun 25-Oct-15 21:45:03

Debbie
Kellie
Kerry
Shelley
Mary
Mandy
Millie

I think ie ending names sound friendly/safe.

Ham69 Sun 25-Oct-15 22:00:41

I have at least 4 each if these names in my contacts;
Ruth
Catherine (and various spellings)
Zoe
Sarah
Mary

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now