Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Nicknames/Shortenings for Charlotte & Eleanor

(16 Posts)
Whippet2 Sat 24-Oct-15 18:17:49

Hi all, DC1 is due in 5 weeks and our top two girls names are Charlotte and Eleanor. I was wondering what these names could be shortened to? I really hate Charlie but don't mind Lottie but would appreciate other suggestions. Also not keen on Ellie for Eleanor.

Thanks all.

Allalonenow Sat 24-Oct-15 18:26:20

Nellie and Nell are traditional NNs for Eleanor, and I know a Charlotte who gets Caro as a NN, but I think that's quite unusual.

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Sat 24-Oct-15 18:57:12

Lotta?
Ela?

Whippet2 Sat 24-Oct-15 19:35:51

Thanks - Quite like Nell for Eleanor and Lotta for Charlotte. Would Nora work for Eleanor?

JakeyBurd Sat 24-Oct-15 23:08:04

The only Charlotte I've known went by Shaz. All the Eleanors are Ellie.

Sophronia Sat 24-Oct-15 23:17:47

Charlotte:

Char
Charla
Carla
Carly
Lottie
Lotta
Lotte

Eleanor:

Ella
Ellen
Elea
Nell/Nelle
Nelly
Nora
Leni
Lena
Lenny

JumpJockey Sat 24-Oct-15 23:22:41

My Dd2 is Eleanor, called herself Nenna aged 1 as the real name was too hard to say, and that's stuck.

namechangedtoday15 Sat 24-Oct-15 23:29:34

My friend Charlotte is Chaz (she's not keen but we are 30s and it has stuck since uni). My DD's friend Charlotte (primary age) is Lottie. There is also another Charlotte who goes by Charlie.

Eleanors here tend to be shortened simply to Elle or Ellie. It's very popular in my DD2's year and under (6 and below).

Allalonenow Sun 25-Oct-15 00:24:49

I had an Aunt Nora which may have been a nn for Eleanor now I think about it, and a grandmother Eleanor who was always known as Nellie.

NN are very flexible and adaptable, and more importantly, impossible to control once the child goes to school. Some are loved but many loathed. My mother was Elizabeth but always called Betty, which she absolutely hated.
So pick a name that you love and call your child by that name. Who knows what their NN will be, perhaps linked with the surname or a physical feature?

scatterthenuns Sun 25-Oct-15 11:40:11

Char or Charl and Nell.

Hate Lottie!

EdithWeston Sun 25-Oct-15 12:02:09

This made me think of my DF's aunts who were Lot and Nelly (the third sister was Ethel).

Kim82 Sun 25-Oct-15 12:06:28

I have a Charlotte and it's never shortened really. My sister calls her Chazza on purpose as she knows it annoys me but nobody else shortens it. She is only 15 months though so this could all change when she goes to school...

hels71 Sun 25-Oct-15 18:25:38

My Eleanor is rarely shortened, although she does get Els from friends....

Whippet2 Mon 26-Oct-15 14:26:41

Thanks all, definitely some things to think about there. Ideally o wouldn't want either name shortened but would rather come up with one we like before someone else does.

MrsCaecilius Mon 26-Oct-15 14:30:28

I knew a Charlotte who is still (mid 30s) called Grot. Grotty-Lottie, just stuck...

There is no telling what a nick name will end up being!

mathanxiety Tue 27-Oct-15 04:03:43

Lottie and Nellie.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now