Talk

Advanced search

thoughts on this naming idea/concept please!

(10 Posts)
RainWildsGirl Sat 24-Oct-15 09:24:27

I need opinions on this idea/concept of a name - not the actual names I've used, they are made up otherwise it would be far to outable!

Assume my maiden name was Mann. Assume my parents names are Andrew and Natalia. The idea would be to call baby Matilda Andrea Natalie Surname - thus honouring both my parents (which we would like to do) and the first 3 initials spelling my maiden name (without the last letter but that makes no difference to pronunciation.

So is this a stupidly cheesy idea or actually quite clever?

The first name would be DH's top choice and it is a complete coincidence that it would spell the maiden name with the slightly altered versions of my parents names included.

if relevant our other DC have a great-grandparent name as a middle name, one from each 'corner' of the family as it were. there are no other family names we want to use hence wanting to honour my parents who do so much for us.

To be clear, the names are not the actual names, its the concept I want thoughts on (although all names to be used are standard English acceptable names, nothing u-neeq or anything!)

yeOldeTrout Sat 24-Oct-15 09:30:03

For just one DC I think, not doing this with all of them?
Seems fine by me, but hope you find names you like that fit the rule.

RainWildsGirl Sat 24-Oct-15 09:42:23

just for our 4th and final DC. the others have either 1 or 2 great grandparent names.

I like the names that would be used although it would be letting DH have his first choice for the first name!

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Sat 24-Oct-15 15:30:53

I once knew a Daniel.
Daniel
Andrew
Norris

His intiials spell dan. He thought is was great.

scatterthenuns Sat 24-Oct-15 15:33:37

I think it is too laboured, and you'd be much better off choosing the names you like.

If, of course, the names fit into the rule, so be it.

samjammy Sat 24-Oct-15 16:50:43

If they are the names you like anyway then go for it! It isn't weird, just a nice little thing that people may or may not pick up on but you will know and your child will too.

Vixxfacee Sat 24-Oct-15 17:00:01

Man for a girl isn't great.

JakeyBurd Sun 25-Oct-15 10:59:26

I think it's very clever! It's the sort of thing I would do, if only I'd thought of it! It's also nice to honour your parents, especially as your other DCs honour other family members. It's a lovely idea.

RainWildsGirl Mon 26-Oct-15 08:53:16

we personally only use middle names to honour people, we personally don't get just picking any other name you like as a middle name, doesn't make sense to us.

vixxfacee as I said in the OP, those were example names. the initials wont actually spell man.

I like the two middle names, DH doesn't really like one of them. and both our top choice first names start with the right letter.

the whole thing is a huge coincidence which I only noticed whilst doddling name ideas on a scrap of paper.

DH isn't sure about the idea though.

PallasCat Tue 27-Oct-15 17:45:14

I think it's a really nice idea, provided, as pps have said that you like the names for the sake of the names themselves too, which seems to be the case. (Except for DH and one of the middle names, but looks like he's getting first pick on given name, so not a great hardship.)
It definitely doesn't strike me as twee or laboured. To me it's a personal and subtle detail, if you choose to keep it that way - other than family members/close friends who know both middle names and your maiden name, it's not going to be obvious to anyone unless you point it out to whoever you meet.
FWIW I'm a crossword/anagram geek, so this kind of thing is very pleasing to me! Lovely idea, OP smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now