Kosovan Albanian boys names

(29 Posts)
Janey215 Fri 23-Oct-15 21:04:07

Hello and can you help!
I need a boys name ~ kosovan Albanian - struggling to find one I like ~ we already have a Luan! Need another boy name ?!

CakeRattleandRoll Sun 25-Oct-15 00:16:32

Have you tried this webpage?

www.behindthename.com/names/gender/masculine/usage/albanian

Janey215 Sun 25-Oct-15 07:38:12

Hi yes thanks I have exhausted the Internet - now waiting for kosovan family member suggestions but so far huge difference in taste! Was just wondering if any inspiration on here ?? May have to speak to DH about having an English name this time !

helentheheron Sun 25-Oct-15 08:27:51

Just had a Google on your behalf (yes, I am that bored) and came across Fatbardh - you might want to give that a miss though wink.

On a more positive note, is Adnan Albanian? I really like that. It also looks like there are a fair few classic names which cross over both cultures?

September60b Sun 25-Oct-15 08:59:06

I once met an Arlo who I believe was half Kosovan. Not sure if that is the origin of his name but I thought it was nice!

OhtoblazeswithElvira Sun 25-Oct-15 09:03:11

Urim
Ervis
Idris
Land
Klodian sp?
Eduard

Not sure if these are Kosovan but def of Albanian-speaking background.

Will come back later if I can remember some more.

Janey215 Sun 25-Oct-15 09:16:01

Ahh thanks guys. Lol yeah fatbardh and others sound dreadful !
Yeah it's kosovan or Albanian I need so either is useful!

RustyBear Sun 25-Oct-15 09:23:05

I know two boys from Kosovo called Albion and Arian.

fruitscone Sun 25-Oct-15 11:11:35

I know three Kosovan Albanian boys in DD's class and their names are Andi, Dijon and Flori. Andi and Flori are not abbreviated. I also know of a half Kosovan girl who would have been Adrian if she had been a boy.

HTH

Nataleejah Sun 25-Oct-15 11:35:48

I had a few albanian classmates at uni -- Admir, Orgert, and... Alex

MamaAwayOnBusiness Sun 25-Oct-15 12:17:16

I love Altin.

MamaAwayOnBusiness Sun 25-Oct-15 12:19:16

Apparently Tony Blair (Tonibler) is popular too www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jun/20/kosovan-albanians-name-children-tony-blair-tonibler

diplodocus Sun 25-Oct-15 12:22:55

If you ever have a girl I think the Albanian name Aferdita is lovely - sorry not very helpful.

Janey215 Sun 25-Oct-15 13:05:45

Lol yeah Tony Blair and Bill Clinton are heroes to kosovans both have roads named after them too!
My nephews gf is Afredita I love Emine for a girl but this will be our last child !

Bemars3d Sun 25-Oct-15 13:41:44

I guess you've probably been through these ones but the following seem to work well in "mixed" couples..

Arben (nn Ben)
Aiden (Ajden for alb consumption)
Idris (although is quite old-fashioned in KS)
Arton / Driton (nn Tony)
Sami (nn Sam)
Leotrim (nn Leo)
Armend

..any good?

lozengeoflove Sun 25-Oct-15 13:44:40

My suggestions are Amir and Edin. Edin was my first ever crush so have a soft spot for that name grin

ticolac Sun 25-Oct-15 13:53:27

I know a Gentjan, Altin, Roland (Landi), Ervis, Andi, Aldin

OhtoblazeswithElvira Sun 25-Oct-15 14:37:50

Oooh girls....

Violjca (sp?) ie Violet
Elona
Evisa / Ervisa
Ana

Just in case!

Janey215 Sun 25-Oct-15 17:45:05

Thanks ladies - Haha we r defo team blue again!
Quite like Altin , Edin - Arben is near top of list but we have a nephew called this (although he's Sweden we are uk and they are a decade apart age wise) love Aiden but my friends never passed comment they loved Niko ?? Now I found Niko on Wikipedia Albania names as confirmed Albanian but my sil and another nephew say it's Serbian which unfortunately is an absolute no no! Still some painful memories for older family members.
Do you know about Niko?? I thought also short for Besnik or Kreshnik - the only similar Serbian name I found was Nikola (male) which of course could be nn Niko.
I love Niko when I saw it but not sure we could use it. Interesting though DH is llukman always called Luka which is also on Serb name list? Confused!

lozengeoflove Sun 25-Oct-15 20:57:13

Niko definitely short for Nikola. Luka also Serbian but I think that such geographical proximity (among other things) makes is difficult sometimes to separate names and ethnicity.

I know what you mean though Janey - older generation would probably frown upon this.

Bemars3d Mon 26-Oct-15 07:01:34

Nikola (male) is also Alb for Nicholas so they're not right to say is not Alb - but as is obviously a Christian / Catholic name it's probably not one they're used to... or one they'd really like if not Catholic or Orthodox themselves.

Besnik (faithful) has a lovely meaning - but to my ears sounds girly (think Bessie / Nicki) in English. Kreshnik makes me think of tonsils - think they're call Krenik or something in Alb.

Defo think you're on the right track though with a name that can have an English nn. My son's doesn't and although I love his name, the "pardon?" and then blank look, and then "oh that's a lovely / unusual name" - which actually means I haven't a clue what you said - gets a bit tiring at times!

Janey215 Tue 27-Oct-15 08:46:24

Bemars what did you name your son? We sometimes get 'Ewan' instead of Luan but other than that it's worked well! With ds1 this was the only name I liked so well and truly stuck - have fallen in love with Niko but now one family member has mentioned that it's Serbian I'm doomed !! ??

Bemars3d Wed 28-Oct-15 09:09:47

Have PMed you my sons name - as is really unusual in the uk - but another couple of thoughts below...

Dardan (Dan)

Ilir - can't think of a nn, but short like Luan so people could probably cope with it

Enis - again short enough that could work in English?

Keryn Wed 06-Jul-16 21:08:46

Did you get another name. I have same problem. We have Luan and I love this name but it was only one that I liked. Think we have set precedent for kosovan/Albanian names now so can't go English.... It would have been easier with a girl lol

hesterton Wed 06-Jul-16 21:14:22

I like Aris.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now