Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Dieresis - Chloe or Chloë?

(23 Posts)
ZylaB Mon 19-Oct-15 08:01:07

Hi,

I'm a mad planner and am thinking up names for our second child which will hopefully be conceived soon smile. I'm thinking of using Chloë/Chloe as a middle name. Now I know in English the dieresis over the e is for correct pronunciation chlo-ee, rather than chlo like toe.

But... Am I right that everyone knows how to pronounce Chloe and that the dieresis isn't used these days? Or will it annoy me that it's not quite right without it, and I suspect I'd have to correct people all the time to add it on?

Basically, which would you use?

Thanks!

celtictoast Mon 19-Oct-15 09:19:00

I'd probably avoid the dieresis as everyone knows how to spell Chloe. But I think you'll find some people will add it when writing the name (or leave it out if it was part of the name) - would that annoy you?

celtictoast Mon 19-Oct-15 09:19:16

I mean everyone knows how to pronounce it!

RainwildsGirl Mon 19-Oct-15 09:46:09

I would use it. I have a DC with an accent in their name and yes it gets missed off from a lot of people and I had to explain to the school how to do the letter with the accent for reports/nativity programmes etc but they were fine once I'd done this.

personally it always bugs me not to see it and if someone verbally told me their name was Chloe I would write it with the dieresis (which i dont actually know how to do on here without finding it in Word!!) as to me that is how it should be spelled (obviously if I was told they don't use it then I would stop!)

likewise I don't make a huge point of correcting cards/letters to my DC but when I reply I always use the accent and over time most people notice and use it too.

squoosh Mon 19-Oct-15 10:18:30

I wouldn't bother with it.

helentheheron Mon 19-Oct-15 10:29:07

I wouldn't bother. To me it looks a bit "fussy" and would be a faff to get right on computers/remind others about all the time.

reuset Mon 19-Oct-15 11:57:16

No, not necessary.

Sophronia Mon 19-Oct-15 12:00:24

Agree that it's not necessary.

YakTriangle Mon 19-Oct-15 12:03:30

I wouldn't use it. It's a popular enough name that nobody would pronounce it like toe, and the dots are just troublesome.

titchy Mon 19-Oct-15 12:19:49

I probably wouldn't bother, but thank you for referring to it as a dieresis and not an umlaut grin

Cel982 Mon 19-Oct-15 12:25:20

Realistically as a middle name it's only going to be used by other people on very rare occasions, so I don't think it matters much either way.

Lunastarfish Mon 19-Oct-15 14:36:47

Chloe has been one of the most popular names in the UK for years so I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't know how to pronounce it.

I would just spell it Chloe

LaContessaDiPlump Mon 19-Oct-15 14:38:20

For a horrible moment I thought you wanted to call your child Dieresis, but I've engaged brain now.

Carry on grin

Sadik Mon 19-Oct-15 14:46:39

I think it looks prettier with the dieresis, myself. But that's quite a random reason to do it! I'm sure everyone can pronounce it regardless, though I have to say most of the Chloës I know get called Clo as a shortening anyways . . .

Sgoinneal Mon 19-Oct-15 14:55:03

It's not necessary on Chloe or Zoe, and a bit of a faff maybe, but it looks nice and is correct totally unhelpful smile

Branleuse Mon 19-Oct-15 14:55:36

my dd has one over the i in her name ï, but I and she only uses it in handwriting when in the UK, as its not on the bloody keyboard and I cant work it out for typing, even with instructions seemingly.

I think it looks better with the umlaut than without, so if you prefer it, then use it

ZylaB Mon 19-Oct-15 17:52:51

Thanks for the opinions! I think I'm coming to the conclusion that as I know it 'should' be there, it may niggly away at me if it isn't. So as opinion is mixed, I think I'll use it IF I can persuade DH and if we don't change our mind before the time.

Thanks again smile

ZylaB Mon 19-Oct-15 17:54:53

And LaContessa lol, just lol! It'd certainly be a unique name! ;)

ZylaB Mon 19-Oct-15 17:55:36

*niggle

SerenityReynolds Mon 19-Oct-15 17:57:17

We have a Zoe without the dieresis. Much easier for filling in forms (especially electronically)! It just seemed a bit unnecessary to us but you could easily get away with either version without raised eyebrows.

mathanxiety Tue 20-Oct-15 03:44:09

Leave it off. Everyone knows Chloe doesn't rhyme with toe.

reuset Tue 20-Oct-15 12:04:56

Yes, opinion is mixed, OP. But absolute majority say not needed. It could look pretentious I think in this case. Helpful with some names perhaps, but not this one.

babyblabber Tue 20-Oct-15 18:44:28

My Chloe doesn't have it even though I think it looks much prettier with it. We just thought it could be a hassle for her and also if we did use it and then no one else did it would annoy me & I'd always be correcting them. One of the reasons we liked the name was it was its simplicity (& it's such a pretty name!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now