Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Henry thoughts and nn

(24 Posts)
Baconnowpls Thu 15-Oct-15 09:39:08

Finally agreed on my top choice of Henry (yay).
Would Harry be inevitable these days is it likely to be shortened at all? I love Henry but not keen on Harry,Hal, Hank etc.

Baconnowpls Thu 15-Oct-15 09:40:23

Also is it overly popular where you live? I know its extremely popular in the south west but doesn't seem so popular here (north east).

Alfieisnoisy Thu 15-Oct-15 09:40:43

My friend has a Henry and she refers to him as Hart or Little Hart. Harry is nice too.

Baconnowpls Thu 15-Oct-15 09:42:58

Hart is sweet never heard of that before- little Hart smile

LibrariesGaveUsP0wer Thu 15-Oct-15 09:45:04

All the Henry's I know are Henry. I think Harry is a very upper class nn these days. I know some Harrys too. But they are Harry on the bc

HarrysMummy17 Thu 15-Oct-15 09:49:35

If your not keen on a nn just call him Henry. Make sure everyone knows that's his name and he'll be known as Henry. My mum hated people shortening my name and always corrected them. I was always called by my full name until one of the jobs I had, people began shortening it. I wasn't bothered by that point though! (I did however have nn's not connected to my name!)

TheGreenNinja Thu 15-Oct-15 09:53:34

I know a couple of Henrys who get called Hen. The only Harrys I know all seem to be short for Harrison these days. Lots of people don't seem to connect Harry to Henry any more so I don't think it's an inevitable nn at all for a Henry.

mrsschu Thu 15-Oct-15 10:38:24

I know an absolute tonne of Henry's here in London so if you want to avoid popular names then I don't think you'd do it with Henry. That aside all of them are called Henry, never heard any nn's for them.

standinginthedoorway Thu 15-Oct-15 10:39:56

I love the name Henry! Don't think Harry is at all inevitable but there is a chance I guess. I know a little Henry and he just gets called Henry. I have a pretty common boring name for my generation and I get the strangest nns which have no relation to my actual name so you can't really predict it I don't think. I'd just pick the name I like and forget about nns.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Thu 15-Oct-15 14:37:34

You may not want it abbreviated but Henry might do. You can't be saying to him "You can't call yourself Harry Hen " If he chooses to. It'll be his name, and everyone does have the right to a name and a preferred name, so if you really do not like Harry I would think of something else

SwearyGodmother Thu 15-Oct-15 14:53:44

The only Henry I know has the nn Hippo, sometimes shortened to Hipps. I think it's sweet.

celtictoast Thu 15-Oct-15 14:57:51

Henry is quite a nice name. I'd want to un-posh it a bit though with a nickname like Hazza or Hez.

mumsnit Sat 17-Oct-15 16:26:22

DS's best friend is Henry - his parents always call him Henry but he still gets Hen as nn at school I'm afraid hmm

scatterthenuns Sat 17-Oct-15 16:27:43

I think Henry and Harry are separating, and one doesn't often mean the other anymore.

Hen is very likely from school chums though.

AnemonesCloser Sun 18-Oct-15 02:54:42

Although Harry is the informal version of Henry they have become separate names in their own right and I bet a lot of people are completely unaware of the origin of Harry.

There are a million and one little Henrys around at the moment though.

Blueberry234 Sun 18-Oct-15 02:59:23

I have a Henry who is known as Henry, Hen or Bear

NaughtToThreeSadOnions Sun 18-Oct-15 03:31:49

I have a relative that's a Henry has never been called Harry in his life, its always been Hen or H. He's 23 now.

SmileAndNod Sun 18-Oct-15 07:02:28

I love the name. DC3 was going to be Henry, but decided to be a girl instead. I wouldn't have shortened it either. Sometimes children end up with their own nicknames, completely unrelated to their real name.

Tory79 Sun 18-Oct-15 07:04:48

Ds2 is Henry, and his only nicknames are whatever ds1 has decided to call him today so it normally involves the word poo hmm

Barbie1 Sun 18-Oct-15 07:07:44

My Henry is only ever Henry unless it's from his sister (5) who calls him horrid Henry at times grin

toastyarmadillo Sun 18-Oct-15 07:09:30

My gorgeous little nephew is called Henry, and he is the only one I have come across so far, so not hugely commonly used. He gets called hen as a nickname, but only really by his parents everyone else's uses his full name or calls his mischief or trouble wink

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Sun 18-Oct-15 07:13:36

All the Henry's I know are just Henry. Lovely name, definitely growing in popularity but nowhere near the same league as Oscar, Alfie, Charlie etc where I'm from (midlands)

WaverleyOwl Sun 18-Oct-15 07:18:09

My Henry is always Henry. Sometimes we call him Hen Hen though. Not a common name where we live either (Scotland).

ashesandfire Sun 18-Oct-15 15:50:51

My brother is Henry, he's in his 20s and never had Harry or Hal or anything as a nn. Just Henry (although sometimes Hen too :/ )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now