Talk

Advanced search

Instead of Benjamin?

(14 Posts)
Hopitpopit Fri 09-Oct-15 15:30:30

I really like the name Benjamin but for some reason don't like Ben or Benjy. Any ideas of some alternatives to Benjamin that can also be shortened would be appreciated?

HerdOfRhino Fri 09-Oct-15 15:39:43

Reuben
Stephen
Patrick
Vincent
Jeremy
William
Simon

Sophronia Fri 09-Oct-15 17:00:13

William
Alexander
Nathaniel
Dominic
Sebastian
Christopher
Timothy
Frederick
Joseph
Oliver
Thomas
Jonathan
Henry
Matthew
Samuel
Nicholas
Theodore
Zachary
Edward

Sophronia Fri 09-Oct-15 17:01:12

I also know a Jamin / Jamie short for Benjamin, could be an alternative to Ben.

Bin85 Fri 09-Oct-15 17:02:23

I know Benjamin and Jonathan twins , similar sort of name

Knitella Fri 09-Oct-15 18:39:06

I have a wee Benjamin and he's mostly called Ben and sometimes Benny for fun. If you love the name you could just go with Benjamin and not shorten it?

Other names we liked at the time we named Ben were Isaac, Reuben (which lead us to Benjamin actually) and Alexander (Alex/Xander). I had the same problem with Isaac which I loved but I didnn't like Zac so much.

I think it's nice to have a name with long and short versions. I'm expecting another baby now and the only boys name we both like at the mo is really short without that option. I'm not sure if that's fair!

BikeRunSki Fri 09-Oct-15 18:43:39

Why not name him Benjamin and just call him Benjamin? I know a 10 year old Benjamin whose family and friends (and him) have always used the full "Benjamin"

Isaac - Ike?
Jonathan - Jon/Jonty?
Nathaniel - Nate?
Dominic - Dom/Nick?

Hopitpopit Fri 09-Oct-15 19:38:48

Thanks all for these helpful suggestions, I think I'll play around with it a bit moresmile

LillyBugg Fri 09-Oct-15 19:46:51

My Benjamin is a Benny. And not for fun either Knitella (but if you told me when I was pregnant that my Benjamin would be a Benny I probably would have laughed). But I guess it is inevitable that one day he will be a Ben which you don't like. I love the name. But I must say I do hate Benji and it pisses me off no end when I correct to Benny and then a week later the person is saying Benji again.

mewkins Fri 09-Oct-15 19:50:19

We almost called ds Benjamin. Instead he is a Nathaniel.

Ham69 Fri 09-Oct-15 22:27:57

Benedict - Ned

Knitella Fri 09-Oct-15 22:35:18

Lillybug being really honest, in my case it's usually something like Benny Bobble (big head of curls) so is a bit silly! I also can't stand Benji - urghh!

LillyBugg Sat 10-Oct-15 09:21:18

Ha ha we also use Benny Boo, which is often shortened to just Boo. Which now I think about it is rather silly... smile

anastasiakrupnik Sat 10-Oct-15 13:07:44

Then Ben I know is called Benj by his family, never Benji. He also has a brother called Jonathan, though they're either side of 40.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now