Talk

Advanced search

Baby no name DS3

(23 Posts)
Giddyupgumdrop Wed 09-Sep-15 13:19:43

We are really struggling to find a name for DS3 who is now a week old. Hoping someone might be able to inspire us. Our surname begins with L and is one syllable. I would like to avoid any E, T, M or G starting names.

At the moment we like Samuel but is it too popular? DH has vetoed most of the names I like (Jared, Chester, Spencer for example) and so we can't agree. Once front runner was Leonard (shortened to Ned) but not sure he would suit it.

Any suggestions please? All help much appreciated.

Pipilangstrumpf Wed 09-Sep-15 14:23:26

There are 3 Sams in my ds's class of 25, so yes it is very popular.

From your list I like Leonard the best or how about Quentin or Felix?

Giddyupgumdrop Wed 09-Sep-15 17:42:24

Hmm sounds like we should keep thinking. The responsibility of naming another person is huge esp as I feel we chose a great name for ds2 and can't beat or equal his name. My other two have popular names tho we didn't appreciate it at the time. They were quite low on the top 50 list.

I also like Hector and Abraham but Dh not keen.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 09-Sep-15 17:43:44

Edward nn Ned?

Rivercam Wed 09-Sep-15 17:53:02

Daniel (Dan, Danny)
Alexander (Alex)
Christopher (kit, Chris)
Lewis
Nathaniel
Richard (Rick)

Banned letter names
Matthew (Matt)
Thomas (Tom)

shoopshoopsong Wed 09-Sep-15 17:55:20

Samuel is lovely

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 09-Sep-15 17:56:24

Sam(uel) is quite popular, DN has 3 friends all named Sam and it's very confusing. Out of your list I like Hector the best.

How about Ambrose?

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 09-Sep-15 17:57:06

Forgot to ask, what are DHs suggestions?

Giddyupgumdrop Wed 09-Sep-15 18:09:51

Dh is fairly useless really. Didn't really offer any suggestions before baby arrived. He will suggest something then change his mind confused

My other dc's names are Ethan, Matilda (Tilly) and Gideon (which will out me but hey ho). So needs to fit with those and not be too out there.

I do like Ambrose but also like shortening their names. Can't think how to shorten that.

Giddyupgumdrop Wed 09-Sep-15 18:11:08

Oh and Nathaniel is one of our faves and were going to name ds1 but Dh's boss got there first. Any more ideas?

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 09-Sep-15 18:23:00

So that's exactly as I suspected. My DH was brilliant at vetoing names, not so good at actually coming up with any himself.

How about shortening Ambrose to Bo, Bro, Brody or Ames?

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 09-Sep-15 18:23:44

It's a shame E is out too as I quite like Elliot.

SerenaVanDerWoodsen Wed 09-Sep-15 18:28:34

I was going to say Nathanial!

What about Zachary (Zach), Daniel (Dan), Alexander or Louis?

I think Sam is a good name though and I think it sometimes comes down to pot luck whether there are lots in their class. For example there are 4 Alexes in DD's preschool but there are none in some of her friends' preschools (same area). In fact, I have only come across one young Sam (4yo) in the past 4years (have children 4 and under). So I'd go for that if that's the only name you both like. Congratulations btw.

MyIronLung Wed 09-Sep-15 18:37:53

Gabriel shortened to Gabe Is my current favorite boys name. It's starts with G though, so no help to you.
Sorry :-/

BikeRunSki Wed 09-Sep-15 18:42:57

My Samuel is 7 and we have only met one other!

I know an adult Ambrose who is usually known by a corruption of his surname or "Brose".

Other ideas
Amos
Dominic
Patrick
Nicholas

I'm not convinced that Leonard abbreviates to Ned.

MyFavouriteClintonisGeorge Wed 09-Sep-15 18:50:01

I do like Abraham, with Bram as a nickname.

Why not John? Lovely and out of fashion so he will be the only one.

Cyrus (Cy)
Dorian
Solomon (Sol)
Zane
Julian
Justin
Aidan

Giddyupgumdrop Wed 09-Sep-15 19:57:27

I also love Gabriel/Gabe and before I had any kids envisioned myself having a little boy with that name.

Lots of good suggestions. Some of which we already have in the family. Can you not get Ned from Leonard? Shame as neither of us like Edward. We have exhausted all grandparents names too.

We are very drawn to Sam/Samuel. One of my fave books is Green Eggs and Ham. I loved reading it to the older ones. And my DH does have a tendency to make up lots of daft nicknames up for the poor DC's, which he is already enjoying with the name.

Still, got 5 more weeks to decide. Just everyone else is impatient.

Thanks for congrats too. He is a scrummy little thing.

chocfireguard Wed 09-Sep-15 20:40:07

Please call him Percy! Think it sounds lovely with your other 3 names...

CakeRattleandRoll Thu 10-Sep-15 02:46:18

Love Hector.
How about Owen, Peter, Andrew?

Hufflepuffin Thu 10-Sep-15 04:35:14

What about Fred? I think you can have a Leonard nn ned if you want, but just remember he might choose to go by Leo or Lenny or Leonard.

What about Jacob?

Giddyupgumdrop Thu 10-Sep-15 08:24:45

Part of the problem I think is the surname is Lynn and it is really difficult to find something that goes with it.

Hmm any more?

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Thu 10-Sep-15 09:37:37

Congratulations! I would be tempted to go with Nathaniel because your DH's boss is not going to be in your children's lives forever. But if you prefer to avoid that

Jethro
Sebastian - easy to shorten
David - ditto
Harvey.

Cockbollocks Thu 10-Sep-15 09:43:20

Barnaby (Barney)
Jaygo

I like Leonard, although if your not sure now he's here your probably right!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now