Talk

Advanced search

Taillte

(13 Posts)
SmugairleRoin Wed 02-Sep-15 22:03:13

DP has suggested this, not sure what I think so decided to ask here!
It's an Irish girls name, pronounced Tal-tyeh.

Nice, or a bit weird?

Spydra Wed 02-Sep-15 22:06:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HunterHearstHelmsley Wed 02-Sep-15 22:08:15

It's a nice name, but when I first read it I saw 'tail light' confusedblush

Nonnainglese Wed 02-Sep-15 22:10:43

Me too Hunter, had to do a double take hmm
I'm afraid I really struggle with pronouncing most Irish names blush

JakeyBurd Wed 02-Sep-15 23:42:53

What does it mean, OP?

Raines100 Thu 03-Sep-15 07:23:20

Not a name I've heard if before, but unfortunately, my first thought was to rhyme it with fáilte, as i didn't notice the lack of fada.

Quite like 'talt-ya', though, with the short a. Are you in Ireland?

SmugairleRoin Thu 03-Sep-15 09:32:24

The meaning is unknown apparently - it comes from an old Irish story. Tailtiu was a Spanish princess who was married to the Fir Bolg High King, then she survived the Tuatha de Danaan (fairy people) invasion of Ireland and became Lughs stepmother (he's another famous mythology character).
The name has changed to Taillte today.

Yes, Irish and living in Ireland. smile
I did grin at the tail light comments! Thanks all for your thoughts so far, I'll get DP to read through as he's the one who suggested it!

Squooshed Thu 03-Sep-15 10:54:01

I don't really like it. I know there's a trend among some Irish people to look for the most obscure Irish name possible. I'd assume parents of a Taillte would fall into this category.

'This is my son Fiachbhamhnáda. Oh you've never heard it before? It's a name we came across when reading the scroll of Macbhachnamh na hEablpíarturnach.'

Squooshed Thu 03-Sep-15 10:57:54

And then they'd hear your child was called Aoife or Ciara and they'd nearly faint at how ordinary was and tut at your lack of investigative scroll work! grin

SmugairleRoin Thu 03-Sep-15 11:35:45

Nah I just like the sound of it Squooshed - Jane is also on my list for example! grin
Ciara and Aoife are lovely but there are too many of em in Dublin so I am trying to find something that might make it less likely for there to be multiples of them. I teach as well so I don't want her known as [name] [initial of surname]...I was one of those and it pissed me off!

TyrionLannistersShadow Thu 03-Sep-15 11:44:16

Irish here and have never heard of Taillte myself, another unusual one is Keilte, pronounced Keel-teh? Tbh I am not convinced the parents didn't make it up but it sounds nice anyway lol

reuset Thu 03-Sep-15 11:58:25

I know one personally, and of another. Both are Tailte with just the one 'l' though. I thought it might be unusual, but not such a rarity. Though both are in Meath...

I'm quite indifferent to it, it's not one of my favourite names but I don't dislike it either

SmugairleRoin Thu 03-Sep-15 19:12:42

Keilte is a nice sound, I'd guess it's made up though as there is no k in Irish, and searching for Ceilte just brings me back to Celtic...still a nice sound though!

I think Taillte is off the list, interesting that you know two in Meath though reuset, I once knew one there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now