Talk

Advanced search

Are Arabic/names from certain cultures normally seen as low class

(20 Posts)
Melons80 Sun 23-Aug-15 13:15:01

I am due shortly and have been using the search tool to gauge opinion on preferred names and have also read the names/careers thread with interest. It has become apparent that all of the name searches (am having a girl) that I search bring up comments on the names being 'chavtastic' or similar. More so when posters are not declaring their ethnicity and list a mixed bag of names. Examples are

Anaya
Amara
Talia
Aisha

I require a Muslim/arabic name, do british automatically assume that all arabic names are low class or is it just my taste?

Verypissedoffwife Sun 23-Aug-15 13:18:02

I know children with 3 of the names on your list and have never thought them to be low class. There are plenty of other names that I consider low class - so it's not at all that I'm particularly non judgemental!

Mrsjayy Sun 23-Aug-15 13:19:51

I know a few non arabic girls with a couple of the names im not sure what you mean by low class they seem perfectly ordinary girls names reasonable girls names to me

Verypissedoffwife Sun 23-Aug-15 13:20:10

Actually just remembered - I also knew a Talia. She was from a very wealthy family. They weren't muslim - I think it's also a western name?

Mrsjayy Sun 23-Aug-15 13:20:41

Meh typos sorry

sanfairyanne Sun 23-Aug-15 13:21:04

strange! they just sound like arabic/muslim names. perhaps if a person is not arabic origin/muslim, it sounds a bit like 'try hard to sound exotic'? dunno. did a lot of people say that??

reuset Sun 23-Aug-15 15:08:52

People pseudo snobs who use the terms 'chav' 'chavtastic' and 'low class' are not worth a second thought.

No, I wouldn't think anything negative about Arabic names.

AliAliAlium Sun 23-Aug-15 16:43:14

No. I do find it slightly odd when people give their children names with no cultural / ethnic relevance (eg I once knew a very blonde, blue eyed Amina, and could never really get used to her name). But I don't think of it as 'low class', just a bit silly. And Arabic / Muslim names where culturally appropriate are generally lovely - you have some fabulous names to choose from.

Bogburglar99 Sun 23-Aug-15 17:51:33

I don't think there is a general thing with Arabic or Muslim names, no. If you're thinking of names that are also used in English, then Za(h)ra(h) and Sofia/Sophia are well liked and generally considered a bit on the posh side if anything.

Perhaps it's just people jumping to assume that a name they don't recognise is 'made up', which they may then in turn associate with the 'chavtastic'.

From your specific Iist, Aisha is lovely and I would hope anyone with even the most passing acquaintance with Muslim names would know it wasn't made up!

iAmNicolaMurray Sun 23-Aug-15 17:56:06

None of those names sound low class to me at all! Though I think a lot of Arabic names are beautiful sounding so maybe I'm biased. I don't think I've heard any described as chavvy or anything though.

sherbertlemon17 Sun 23-Aug-15 20:19:56

I hope not! My DD or DS will have an Arabic name.

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Sun 23-Aug-15 21:38:25

I think here, it's the opposite.
Talia is from a posh family. She is another blue eyes/blonde hair...
If I am lucky enough to have ds 2, he will have an Arabic name.
If I am lucky enough to have dd 2, she will have a welsh name.

I was at school with an aisha. She was nice, if a bit shy. Many years ago...

lauraa4 Mon 24-Aug-15 14:34:17

I think they are all very pretty names OP.

I do understand where you are coming from in relation to your comment about people commenting on Arabic names saying they are 'celeb wannabe names' or 'chavy'. I was on a previous thread a couple of months ago and some very bitchy people were referring to the posters suggestions as 'attention seeking' names, and giving her a bit of a hard time in my opinion. I did point out that maybe they should pull their heads out their arses and consider that the OP may be of Arabic or Hebrew decent!

fairyfeatures Tue 25-Aug-15 13:53:53

Most of the people on the names/careers thread were spouting rubbish. Although it is hard to ignore such rude and judgemental attitudes.

I would never consider a name with cultural background/meaning to be 'low-class or chavtastic' - I agree with reuset - people who have these opinions are not worth a first thought let alone a second. It's as bad as racism - these things are all about pre-judgement which is unacceptable in my view.

At the same time, I don't agree with Sanfairyanne or AliAli - the reason for you to pick a name is because you like/love it enough to bestow it up on your child. It doesn't matter if you choose not to have a name that has a profound meaning or cultural relation to you, you are equally entitled to choose a name based on the fact that you just like it!

As for your list, I really like all of them. My favourite is Talia (my DH vetoed Thalia for me - interestingly said it sounded too posh!) My second favourite would be Anaya (as he also vetoed Ameya for me!!)

coveredinsnot Tue 25-Aug-15 14:00:52

Lots of common names used in this country are actually Hebrew in origin. Rebecca, Jessica, Rachel etc all biblical and therefore not remotely English. I think people who get judgey about this kind of stuff tend to be narrow minded conformists so I ignore them! Popular Arabic names list here www.babynamescountry.com/origins/popular_arabic_baby_names1.html shows plenty of quite common names which are Arabic in origin.

fairyfeatures Tue 25-Aug-15 14:03:05

narrow minded conformists - my favourite phrase ever to be used on MN! I couldn't agree more coveredinsnot

mabythesea Tue 25-Aug-15 14:04:49

Some posters will assume any foreign name they don't recognise is "made up" and therefore "chavvy". It's not common to all British people, just to those who are both snobby and a bit uncultured/ignorant.

Most people will either not care what the origin of a name is, or will recognise Arabic names.

CordeliaFrost Tue 25-Aug-15 15:02:16

If you want an Arabic name, then Talia isn't it, as it's Hebrew (alternative spelling of Talya) from the Hebrew tal (dew) and yah (G-d) so means 'dew of God'.

coveredinsnot Tue 25-Aug-15 20:27:41

Why thank you, fairyfeatures I feel honoured grin

Pigriver Thu 27-Aug-15 08:57:51

I think it comes from people using more unusual spelling as that getting mixed with the 'oh. We spell it this way, we are so original' thinking among some people.
Muslim names are often spelled phonetically and where I am from seem to have very exaggerated vowel sounds which can be difficult to read e.g

Daaniyaal
Sahmiyaah
Aaniyah
Aleeshbaah

Etc
When these are written like this in English it can seem a bit odd but are all lovely names and have much simpler spellings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now