Top baby names announced....and it's basically our shortlist!

(28 Posts)
Ahemily Mon 17-Aug-15 14:25:22

Top girls names are:

1 Amelia
2 Olivia
3 Isla
4 Emily
5 Poppy
6 Ava
7 Isabella
8 Jessica
9 Lily
10 Sophie

We thought we had some great girls name ideas....seems the rest of the UK agree!

So - any girls name suggestions for someone who likes all of these but would like their DD not to be one of ten in their class at school?!

ashesandfire Mon 17-Aug-15 14:48:02

Alice, Emmeline, Anna, Emma, Evangeline, Rose, Eleanor, Iris, Ada, Lydia, Bethany, Sadie, Sylvie, Cora, Nina, Naomi, Isadora, Mirabelle, Imogen, Bryony, Saskia, Romilly, Lilith, Juniper, Chloe, Lucy, Camilla, Willow.

Ahemily Mon 17-Aug-15 14:53:07

Wow, these are great, ashes! Thank you! Love Ada!

Ahemily Mon 17-Aug-15 14:57:15

Ooh, and Iris!

Mayvis Mon 17-Aug-15 15:06:17

Other than Lily, it's the same names in the top ten for 2013. Four of the names have been in the top ten for ten years.

What about Rosie, Nancy, Verity, Hannah, Natalie, Rebecca?

Ahemily Mon 17-Aug-15 15:12:24

Thanks Mayvis! I had no idea - was so sure I'd be having another boy I hadn't paid any attention to the girls lists!

DP has just vetoed Iris sad. I like Nancy though!!

SmugairleRoin Mon 17-Aug-15 15:27:45

Susannah, Emilia, Demelza, Astrid, Liliana, Anya, Hope, Grace, Lauren, Lorna, April, Avril, Vivienne, Caroline, Rosalie, Rachel?

Ahemily Mon 17-Aug-15 15:37:53

I love Astrid, smug, but DP is less keen, grrr!

SmugairleRoin Mon 17-Aug-15 15:57:02

From looking at the ones you picked op it seems to trend towards the "old lady" names (nowt wrong with them, lovely names) - maybe research those? That's how I'd classify Ada and Nancy anyway.

Like Agatha, Greta, Pearl, Violet, Elodie, Eloise, Edith...that sort of thing.

Ahemily Mon 17-Aug-15 16:01:57

I think you're right, smug - I loved Arthur when I thought I was having a boy, I guess I'm a bit old skool! Eloise is lovely.

NadiaWadia Mon 17-Aug-15 16:18:13

Surprised that Eve/Evie/Eva aren't in there, as I thought they were superpopular? I knew Ava would be though! Also surprised not to see Sophia.

Some of these names, (Olivia, Emily, Sophie, and especially Jessica) I was surprised to see, as they have been popular for over 20 years now (DD, early 20s has plenty of friends with these names). They are lovely though, and I personally prefer them to most of the 'old lady' names that are fashionable.

DetectiveLund Mon 17-Aug-15 16:24:11

Charlotte, Anna, Josephine, Beatrix, Rebecca, Lauren

Ahemily Mon 17-Aug-15 17:24:11

Some great suggestions here, thank you! We already have a Charlotte Detective (DSD2) - Scarlet was vetoed because it sounded too similar!

mydogeatsnutstoo Mon 17-Aug-15 19:08:13

Hi my dd has a name v similar to one of the top ten names ( though with infinitely more meaning and named before it became insanely popular - of course I'm not bitter!) Our girls names second time round included Ada, Iris, Esther, Ione. Also quite like Eliza though think that is on the up.

Ahemily Mon 17-Aug-15 19:19:43

Ooh, I love ALL of those, mydog - clearly you have excellent taste! wink

MangoDaiquiri Mon 17-Aug-15 19:28:25

Gracie, Flora, Faith, Coral, Lilia, Edie, Thea, Zara, Maisie, Millie, Matilda, Helena, June, Juliet, Iona, Betsy, Nellie, Martha, Katia, Ella, Luisa, Fleur, Phoebe, Lucia, Clara

marshmallowpies Mon 17-Aug-15 19:39:03

Ada instead of Ava
Ailsa instead of Isla
Jacinta or Jessamy or Jessamine instead of Jessica
Emilia or Emiliana instead of Amelia
Ophelia or Helena instead of Olivia
Bryony or Rowan or Hazel instead of Poppy
Selina or Serena or Susanna or Saffron instead of Sophie
Emmeline or Lucy instead of Emily

MangoDaiquiri Mon 17-Aug-15 19:47:20

Carys, Freya, Maya, India, Skye/Skyla, Lola, Tabitha, Tessa, Evelyn

RiverTam Mon 17-Aug-15 19:47:44

I think it depends do much on your area. I know of 2 children with top 10 names in DD's year (60 kids). I also know a number of the other names mentioned by pps, including and Ada, a Sadie and a Nancy. I have yet to ever meet an Olivia or a Sophie! I clearly live in an area where people bend over backwards not to use popular names, especially for girls. It may be the same for you.

Ahemily Mon 17-Aug-15 20:23:52

Wow, you guys are the best!! Some of these are beautiful, thank you! Love
Hazel, Fleur and Freya in particular. Thanks all!

Dixiebell Tue 18-Aug-15 16:43:31

Ivy, Eliza, Lyra, Betty, Nora, Cassie....

Ahemily Tue 18-Aug-15 16:45:20

I LOVE Ivy!! DD is due on Christmas Eve too. Just suggested it to DP, who said "as in, poisoned Ivy?" confused

Daphnedolittle Tue 18-Aug-15 21:13:59

Hazel is beautiful.
Here are some of my favourites in case it helps:
Eloise
Matilda
Penelope
Daphne
Primrose
Esme
Sydney
Polly
Felicity
Merryn
Arabella
Skye
Daisy

Ahemily Wed 19-Aug-15 07:50:05

It does, thank you Daphne! I think Eloise and Daisy are lovely.

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Wed 19-Aug-15 08:05:30

Recent, but not common names in dd nursery...

Lucia
Esmee
Freya
Millie
Lucy
Rebecca
Aimee
Maisie
Catharines

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now