Girls name help?

(17 Posts)
Newbiehome Mon 17-Aug-15 13:18:58

Am between Florence, Clementine, Primrose or Lila? Middle name will be May (and maybe Elizabeth) as they are family names. Trying to avoid any name in the top 100 list (although am aware Florence is in there!! Thoughts welcome!

SmugairleRoin Mon 17-Aug-15 13:31:15

Not Primrose, I think it'd be ok on a little girl but not for an adult.

Lila is my favourite out of your names, followed by Florence. Not keen on Clementine, I think there'd be pronunciation issues with Clem-en-teen vs Clem-en-tyne.

pilates Mon 17-Aug-15 13:34:18

I like Primrose and Lila.

Cookie122 Mon 17-Aug-15 13:34:39

i LOVE primrose!!! go for primrose

AuntieStella Mon 17-Aug-15 13:36:00

Lila always makes me think of the chocolate bar (not important if you/she will always remain in UK, where it's not marketed. Not so good elsewhere).

I'm not keen on Clememtine (teen or tyne? And do you have the patience for a lifetime of explanation which?) but think Clementina is lovely.

I'm not keen on the 'prim' part of Primrose.

Florence is fine.

PettsWoodParadise Mon 17-Aug-15 13:45:07

Just a personal opinion and playing a bit of the devils advocate but Lila whilst pretty sounds too much like Lilo and Liar and being a four letter name you never know what accronym of new technology or text speak may end up being Lila. I know a few Florences, one always gets abbreviated to Flo. I like Sienna which is Flo's sister's name better - the problem with naming your daughter after a city are the awkward questions of whether you named them that as that is where they we're conceived...Clementine was Churchill's wife's name so good pedigree but nearly always abbreviated to Clemmie. I do like flowers as a girl's name but too flowery and some careers might just seem the wrong fit. Primrose can be abbreviated to Rose which is pretty but more common. A friend called Marigold hated her name so much she calls herself Mary. Most people won't over analyse as much as me of course, but you did ask....wink

StevieJo Mon 17-Aug-15 13:53:24

Lola May Elizabeth is beautiful!

StevieJo Mon 17-Aug-15 13:53:52

Lola May Elizabeth of course, autocorrect....

StevieJo Mon 17-Aug-15 13:54:38

Lila May Elizabeth...gosh...butterfingers...

Newbiehome Mon 17-Aug-15 14:29:39

Thank you so much for your comments... Keep them coming! I do love all the various abbreviations... Flo, Flossie, Posy, Rose, Lil, Clemmy.
And I would pronounce Clementine "teen".

Lovelise Mon 17-Aug-15 14:59:16

For what it's worth I LOVE the name Clementine.

Might steal it for the next one!

Sophronia Mon 17-Aug-15 16:08:55

I like Lila Elizabeth May

NadiaWadia Mon 17-Aug-15 16:24:18

Lila is lovely. (What chocolate bar?)
Clementine is pretty. Not so keen on the others.

AuntieStella Mon 17-Aug-15 16:36:01

This one

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Mon 17-Aug-15 18:16:22

Florence May Elizabeth is gorgeous.

NadiaWadia Tue 18-Aug-15 17:04:38

I wonder what countries they sell that in, then? Mainland European ones I'm guessing? Oh well we don't get it in UK, so probably wouldn't be a problem. Anyway, it's not a negative association really. What do they mean by 'Lila Pause' I wonder, seems a weird way to name chocolate. Unless 'pause' means something different in another language, of course.

Daphnedolittle Tue 18-Aug-15 21:02:39

I have a thread going about Primrose so clearly that is my favourite smile

I also really like Florence although it has got quite popular. Lovely nicknames too, my fave being Florrie.
I find clementine almost too unusual for me. I can't imagine anyone with that name! And I'm not keen on Clemmy as it sounds like Clammy.
I find Lila really bland compared to your other options.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now