Talk

Advanced search

Evelyn or Matilda?

(19 Posts)
BeautifulStars93 Fri 14-Aug-15 21:07:33

Evelyn pronounced 'ev-a-lin'
we love both but worry with Evelyn we/she will be forever correcting people on how too pronounce it ..

Becdag Fri 14-Aug-15 21:26:54

I like Evelyn, you could change the spelling so it is spelt like you want it to be pronounced

silverstreak Fri 14-Aug-15 21:33:29

Our DD was named Evelyn for about 3 months, after which time we changed it to Matilda.... I love both too but we realised over a time she just felt more like a Matilda. Also, I much preferred the meaning behind Matilda -& it certainly suits her!smile

PeppaPigStinks Fri 14-Aug-15 21:34:40

We had this - we have changed the spelling and have the 'a' exactly as you spelt it out. No one said anything. Apart from how pretty and unusual it iswink

SmugairleRoin Fri 14-Aug-15 21:37:03

I wouldn't change the spelling. I have a hard to spell name and am constantly having to spell it out, it's annoying. I imagine saying "Evelyn with an a" would get irritating too.

L0gLady Fri 14-Aug-15 21:44:08

What about just Tilly?

WanderingTrolley1 Fri 14-Aug-15 21:47:43

Matilda

WanderingTrolley1 Fri 14-Aug-15 21:48:19

Tilda is pretty, too.

TheMaddestHatter Fri 14-Aug-15 21:58:59

I wouldn't even think to pronounce it any other way than Ev-a-lyn. I love both names, but prefer Evelyn. I think it's good to keep both in mind, try them out for a while after your daughter is born, and see which one suits her.

I had a name picked out for months before my daughter was born. Then as soon as I set eyes on her, I knew that couldn't be her name. She just didn't suit it.

When she was about 5 days old and having a nap, I was browsing through a baby name book and just saw her name in a huge list of others and knew instantly that's what she had to be called.

RiverTam Fri 14-Aug-15 22:02:12

I love Evelyn pronounced how you intend to. Don't think it's a problem, people will learn soon enough.

I don't mind Matilda but hate all the shorts for it.

Trills Fri 14-Aug-15 22:02:39

Matilda

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Sat 15-Aug-15 01:10:57

I quite like Evelyn.
But the only two I know ( one in her 50s, the other a few months old ) are both eve-lyn.
I have heard people talking about ev-a-lyn and also ev-lyn!
Much prefer Evelyn (whichever way you say it) to Matilda.
Matilda is getting very popular here.

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 15-Aug-15 01:19:03

I prefer Matilda

yummymango Sat 15-Aug-15 09:44:41

I like both but they are both quite popular now. I wouldn't change the spelling of Evelyn as people will think you made a mistake. We know an Ev-e-lyn who is 5 and I have never thought of calling her Eve-lyn I guess because of how she was introduced to me. But my grandma was called Eve-lyn. I think it's lovely whichever way it's pronounced.

ConfusedInBath Sat 15-Aug-15 19:08:57

Matilda.
Evelyn is just awful.

nhkamptz Sun 16-Aug-15 12:03:31

I can't see anything "just awful" about Evelyn. I think it's a beautiful name, and nowhere near as trendified as Matilda.

barbecue Sun 16-Aug-15 15:53:53

Evelyn is a lovely name. I don't like Matilda, it sounds clunky to me.

ConfusedInBath Sun 16-Aug-15 16:06:38

Well it's personal preference isn't it?
Not overly mad on Matilda but it's better than Evelyn. I just hear The word heave.

DramaAlpaca Sun 16-Aug-15 16:09:25

Matilda

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now