Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

what do you think of Francis?

(20 Posts)
Frillsandspills Thu 13-Aug-15 20:41:03

I'll be 22 weeks tomorrow with a little boy and I've started thinking of baby names.
I had the name Francis picked out for future children a while ago (didn't expect to get pregnant for another few years yet but it's a pleasant surprise!)
Anyway, now that I'm actually thinking of a real little person I obviously want to choose the perfect name.
I LOVE Francis, but I really don't like the nickname 'Franny'. I'd always call him Francis and probably would never shorten it.

Just wondering what other people's opinions are? I'd like a name that would suit him when he's any age really, and I was wondering if anyone has a child with a name they don't like the shortened version of?

Do people actually listen when you say you want your child called by their full title? A friend of mine has a DD called Victoria and she hates her being called Vicky but people still do and she can't bare it.

Anyway, I'd love to hear your opinions!

TiredAssShowgirl Thu 13-Aug-15 21:31:42

I love Francis. I don't think it will necessarily be shortened, Franny is not a usual nn for a boy. He'd be more likely to get Frank.

i love Frances and Francesca for girls but also hate Fran!

People do generally follow what you call a child, and it gets easier when they can correct people themselves!

HighOverTheFenceLeapsSunnyJim Thu 13-Aug-15 21:56:46

I really like Francis. I know several little Frankies but they are introduced as such by their parents. I wouldn't automatically shorten to Frankie/Frank/Franny if introduced to a Francis.

Frillsandspills Thu 13-Aug-15 22:03:19

Thank you! I'm glad you like the name! I have an aunt called Frances and just love the name, but we all call her Fran, never her full name.
I knew a boy in school called Francis but everyone called him Franny so I think that's why I'm worried he may be called that, but if it's unlikely I have no reason to worry!

GlitzAndGigglesx Thu 13-Aug-15 22:07:51

I know a baby Francis and no one has ever tried to shorten it. I think it's a nice name in its own right and I don't think you'll have the worry of there being 5 in his class

PennyHassett Thu 13-Aug-15 22:34:52

I love it, but then DS1 does have it as a middle name!

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Fri 14-Aug-15 00:08:27

It's ok. Frank or Frankie are traditional shortenings.

Friend of my grandfather was frank. Short for Francis. He would be in his 80s or 90s now.

Good strong name.

My ds1 middle name too!

WildRunner Fri 14-Aug-15 00:20:53

I think it's lovely name. But re your friend not liking her dd being called Vicky - once you give a name to someone it becomes theirs, and it's up to them what they choose to be called. My mum calls me a range of diminutives, but hates the one I use daily. I love my full name, but my chosen nickname is my choice (and has changed at different stages of my life). Giving a full name like Francis gives you son that choice.

BackforGood Fri 14-Aug-15 00:26:18

If you don't like any shortenings then don't use it, as he will definitely get his name shortened by other people.

If it's just 'Franny' you object to then you could probably avoid that by calling him Frank, or maybe Fran, but you've got little chance of everyone sticking to Francis.

MrsEricBana Fri 14-Aug-15 00:29:42

I agree people would shorten to Frank(ie) if anything. Friend of mine gets v stroppy if you call her Oliver "Olly" and similar with Isabella/Izzy etc.

CruCru Fri 14-Aug-15 08:22:24

I love Francis.

ALittleFaith Fri 14-Aug-15 08:27:30

I like it, good strong classic name. You could have Frank as a NN.

Fwiw I have a 3 syllable name that people frequently shorten. However I am persistent at work that I want the long version and people generally respect that. I think if you're clear about what you want to be called its fine.

Lovely. Franny is awful.

I'm afraid that once our children are released into the world, we have absolutely no control over their nicknames. I only agreed to d2's name on the understanding that her nn would be X and not Y. As soon as she could speak she told us quite clearly that she was X and not Y, and she has been it ever since!

GiveMeBackMyName Fri 14-Aug-15 10:39:16

I love love love Francis - but then I have one so am biased!

I think people will always follow your lead and call him what you do - we use Frank at the moment but the beauty of the name is that it has options so when he gets older he can choose what he wants to be called.

Frillsandspills Fri 14-Aug-15 23:17:49

Thank you all!

I like Frankie as a nn, it's just Franny I really object to but just because I know a Francis who is often called Franny (well I knew him back at school anyway). It wasn't him that put me off the name though I just don't like it. Wouldn't mind him being called Frankie as I think it's cute, but I'll probably always call him Francis!

1944girl Fri 14-Aug-15 23:27:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BreeVDKamp Sat 15-Aug-15 00:05:45

Love it!! On our list. I like Frank/ie but for us it would be a toss up between Francis and Franklin.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sat 15-Aug-15 00:47:33

Francis is gorgeous but please keep in mind. It'll be your ds's name not yours and if he wants to go by Franny
Frank
Fran
Frankie
That's up to him.

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 15-Aug-15 01:35:35

I like it. It was my husband's biological fathers name (long story) and if our daughter had been a son his middle name would have been Francis. Perhaps the next one.

ARV1981 Sat 15-Aug-15 04:38:16

I love Francis too. Frank and Frankie are lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now