Talk

Advanced search

William and Benjamin

(21 Posts)
Rockinghorse123 Thu 13-Aug-15 04:30:14

DS is William and usually gets Will (he never gets called Bill/Billy). DS2 due in a few week and we like Benjamin/Ben.

Can I use both together or do you automatically think "flowerpot men"

Disclaimer: I have terrible pregnancy insomnia and may be over thinking this so please feel free to tell me to get a grip grin

Eminybob Thu 13-Aug-15 04:39:52

I saw your title and immediately thought oooh, Benjamin, that would make a nice name for DS2 if we were to have one (my DS is William too).

Bill and Ben didn't even cross my mind until I read your OP. I think they are both nice classic names. If you're likely to refer to them as Will and Ben some people may make the association but it wouldn't put me off.

But then I would also like to call future DS2 Harry but have been informed that that would be a ridiculous idea.

Juicytubez Thu 13-Aug-15 05:36:21

No, they are lovely together!

lolalotta Thu 13-Aug-15 05:49:14

I love them! Go for it!

mrsb83 Thu 13-Aug-15 07:55:14

I think they sound lovely and I never thought of Bill and Ben.

marinacortina Thu 13-Aug-15 11:48:45

Surely only old people like me would know about the Flowerpot Men.
Anyway it doesn't matter. They won't always be referred to as a pair anyway.

MadrigalElectromotive Thu 13-Aug-15 12:18:12

I hadn't thought of the Flowerpot men until you mentioned it. I think they are both lovely names.

scatterthenuns Thu 13-Aug-15 12:30:55

I instantly thought flowerpot men! Sorry. They redid B+B recently, so age won't come into it. They are timeless kids TV.

helentheheron Thu 13-Aug-15 12:47:53

It didn't occur to me. Both are lovely names.

wankerchief Thu 13-Aug-15 12:49:56

I have a will and a ben.

Oldest is 12

Never been called Bill and Ben...well only by me

SmugairleRoin Thu 13-Aug-15 14:14:21

If they were Bill and Ben...no. Kids their age won't know the show, but adults will. And it sounds too similar anyway I think iyswim.

But Will and Ben is grand.

Benjy is an option, but I just think it's a name that only belongs on a St Bernard (apologies to Benjys/mums of Benjy out there).

TheReluctantCountess Thu 13-Aug-15 14:17:56

No. You will get sick of hearing about the flowerpot men.

BikeRunSki Thu 13-Aug-15 14:20:54

I thought flowerpot men, but I'm nearly 45.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 13-Aug-15 14:27:45

You just don't want a remake of the flower pot men to happen.

I think I'd go for it.

hawkmcqueen Thu 13-Aug-15 14:33:02

Kids will not know the reference and you have Will and Ben anyway. I am 37 and have never seen the programme.

adinfinitum Thu 13-Aug-15 14:55:14

Both really nice, classic names and I didn't think of the Flowerpot Men until you mentioned it either! Unless you actually shorten William to Bill I don't think it would be an issue.

InQuiteAPickle Thu 13-Aug-15 14:59:54

I didn't think of it at first.grin

I don't think it will be an issue so long as William is always William or Will and not Bill.

Rockinghorse123 Thu 13-Aug-15 20:09:10

Thanks everyone! As the majority of people don't think 8ts a problem I feel better about using it!

Naming number 2 is alot harder that number 1!

urterriblemuriel Sat 15-Aug-15 21:18:26

I have a William and if ever we went for another (& it was a boy), Benjamin would be my choice. I think they go lovely together and had never thought of the show. I did chuckle reading it though!

Seaoftroubles Sun 16-Aug-15 10:41:01

My sister has a a William and a Benjamin ( Now adults) and they have always been Will and Ben, never Bill and Ben. Lovely names!

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sun 16-Aug-15 11:09:47

Nice names but I've got the be honest. The flower pot men did come to my mind

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now